Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 10:01 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times

Advertisements

It's slow growing for St. Louis as region slips down list of big metro areas | Metro | stltoday.com

...at least we didn't lose population like Chicago and Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:52 AM

436 posts, read 521,686 times
Hopefully the slow growth provides an opportunity for the law and order groups to improve.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times
Whats being done about the slow growth? Does St Louis want to grow? I don't think so.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:02 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Whats being done about the slow growth? Does St Louis want to grow? I don't think so.
I think the better question is what even can be done. St. Louis has been growing slowly for decades.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:48 PM

685 posts, read 768,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I think the better question is what even can be done. St. Louis has been growing slowly for decades.
There is a general consensus about how to encourage growth, but most metro politicians and residents think the trade-offs are too high. StL has always been more conservative and less aggressive than other metros. And because of this, StL has a serious and persistent perception issue, especially among outsiders. I say "perception," because StL isn't much different than other mid-size metros.

To name a few needed improvements...

- Reduce, merge, and consolidate local government (#1 issue)
- Larger police force
- Metrolink/Streetcar expansion
- Infrastructure improvements (airports, river terminals, our central freeways)
- Encourage startups (e.g. Innovate St. Louis)
- Encourage immigration (e.c. Mosaic)

Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
One of the biggest challenges has been a long term challenge that has not changed to this point. The overwhelming parochial, provincial mindset encourages smaller and smaller minded thinking and decision making. The fear of change, lack of anticipatory forward thinking by some. St. Louis has been slow to develop and attract new economic streams. There are way too many people that are what's in it for me type of people first as opposed to what's in it for the metro area, region, etc..first. There are way too many people that are just fine with the way things are and the. These same people whine and complain and scapegoat others when things go wrong. St. Louis as a metro isn't alone with some of these challenges but this is the St. Louis forum.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 AM

436 posts, read 521,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
One of the biggest challenges has been a long term challenge that has not changed to this point. The overwhelming parochial, provincial mindset encourages smaller and smaller minded thinking and decision making. The fear of change, lack of anticipatory forward thinking by some. St. Louis has been slow to develop and attract new economic streams. There are way too many people that are what's in it for me type of people first as opposed to what's in it for the metro area, region, etc..first. There are way too many people that are just fine with the way things are and the. These same people whine and complain and scapegoat others when things go wrong. St. Louis as a metro isn't alone with some of these challenges but this is the St. Louis forum.
I agree for the most part. There appears to be a social issue in St. Louis where people don't anticipate the negative behavior they have in public has an effect on the people next to them in line at the grocery store or in traffic on the highway. A family member lived abroad for over ten years and moved back and struggles with this. Then again the world is broad with many different things occurring from region to region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: