Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

73 posts, read 274,005 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to get some input on the above two neighborhoods.

Mostly on vibrancy of each neighborhood, and safety..? I am a little more familiar with TGS and have an idea of exactly where in tower grove we are searching to live, however, I don't know much at all about shaw. I've been on their website, and it sounds great.

We are possibly looking into moving into one of these neighborhoods. We LOVE the big grand historical homes they both offer, and that's what we are hoping for

love that they both seem to be up and coming neighborhoods? I am right? I noticed Shaw has a dog park, which is awesome seeing how we have a lab, and they have a few restauraunts, which is good, as we enjoy dining. TGS, I feel, would be a little more vibrant? but I'm not sure.. so that's why i'm asking! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
They are more similar than different. And since they are just on the other side of Tower Grove park from one another I doubt you'd have any real buyers remorse being on one side versus another. TGS does have a lot more vibrancy due to two main commercial stretches whereas Shaw doesn't really have one, but Shaw does have Sashas Wine Bar (awesome) and Sweet Art and it's not like you'd be far from any of the places in TGS at all.

So I'd go in looking at both and just find the best house you can find in either. You can't go wrong either way.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Default Southern part of TGS?

Thanks! Was kinda thinking the same thing.

What are thought on tower grove south - south portion, like tholozan, miami, closer to gravois plaza

Is that area still safe, and vibrant .. ? I could be completely wrong, but I feel like the North Easter part of tower grove south is the best. North of Utah, East of Roger, .. ? I feel we would enjoy it more being closer to grand and arsenal..

But my biggest question about further south in tower grove south is safety?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM

You have it exactly right. That little area south of Gravois (and a few blocks north) is not considered all that desirable. I don't even really think of it as "TGS" the way I do the rest of the neighborhood even though it techinically is. The northeast portion of the neighborhood closest to Grand and Arsenal is the best part, though really the whole north part of the neighborhood is pretty good. Similarly, my friends in Shaw tell me that neighborhood is better closer in the southern part closest to Magnolia, though I don't think the difference is quite as stark as in TGS.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Yup, OP you sound like you've got it figured out. Shaw has a lovely housing stock, even arguably nicer than TGS as a whole, but it's not quite so walkable -- both to Grand as well as the burgeoning strip of bars along Morganford, which I heart.

And as to your second post, the best part of TGS is without a doubt Tower Grove Heights, but west of it but still near the park is also safe -- it just doesn't, as whole, as nice of housing stock. I'm not a big fan on the southeastern chunk of the neighborhood either, both aesthetically and from a safety standpoint. Then again, I wouldn't immediately discount if if my budget were on the lower end and found a property that made sense. Your tolerance may vary.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,101 times
You might want to take a look at this web page: Where We Are »

Tower Grove Heights is a neighborhood within the neighborhood of TGS. The above link will show you the map of TGH. You can go two blocks further west and still be in the best part of TGS. There is a vibrant neighborhood community vibe to Tower Grove South. My family and I looked at a lot of great houses in TGS but ultimately landed in University City because of the specific house that ticked all of the boxes.

LOVE Tower Grove South!!! Love the farmers' market: Tower Grove Farmers' Market

Love the park with all of the festivals: Welcome to Tower Grove Park

Shaw is great, too. I know several people in Shaw and they love the neighborhood. I lived there for three years in the early nineties. LOVED. IT.

You won't go wrong with either area.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:35 PM

Thoughts on Tower grove east? Holly Hills.. ? Safety? Nice area?

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Tower Grove East is great as long as you stay within 2-3 blocks of Grand. It starts to fall off to the east, but there is a fair amount of gentrification going on. Holly Hills is gorgeous, but not exactly vibrant. If I'm not mistaken it's pretty much all residential in that area.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I pretty much agree with Dawn -- as far as TGE if I were choosing a specific spot that's the nicest it's just east of Grand and North of Arsenal -- just south of Arsenal is Roosevelt High School, and I would prefer to keep a couple block buffer from there. East of Compton -- the chunk that abuts against Benton Park West -- still has further to go in terms of significant gentrification.

Holly Hills has some really lovely homes (as well as some smaller, less charming and, as such, less expensive homes) and is quite safe, it's just also a very quiet neighborhood. In comparison I'd prefer a neighborhood like Southampton which has some of those same cute gingerbread homes, but with a bit more retail, corner bars and that small, but cute little spot at Murdoch and Macklind.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I pretty much agree with Dawn -- as far as TGE if I were choosing a specific spot that's the nicest it's just east of Grand and North of Arsenal -- just south of Arsenal is Roosevelt High School, and I would prefer to keep a couple block buffer from there. East of Compton -- the chunk that abuts against Benton Park West -- still has further to go in terms of significant gentrification.

Holly Hills has some really lovely homes (as well as some smaller, less charming and, as such, less expensive homes) and is quite safe, it's just also a very quiet neighborhood. In comparison I'd prefer a neighborhood like Southampton which has some of those same cute gingerbread homes, but with a bit more retail, corner bars and that small, but cute little spot at Murdoch and Macklind.
If you're referring to Murdoch Perk, it has closed . Shocking because that place was always packed whenever I went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis