Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times

Advertisements

When war wages hilarity ensues. Funny blog anyway.

nextSTL | Why "Friends Don't Let Friends Live in Chesterfield" is Funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I thought it was funny, but I'm not at all surprised that some Chesterfieldians weren't amused. That's OK; it wasn't for or about them.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
I think it's hilarious. However, I think a lot of Chesterfield residents felt that it was saying that Chesterfield is not a nice place to live, which is missing the point. I don't think they understand that the ad campaign is aimed toward bringing people back to the central city, not bashing Chesterfield (Although I wouldn't be opposed to a little of that too).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:26 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Response will depend on one's individual personality type. Generally speaking, I am opposed to putting some thing or some one down, to inflate oneself. I question the effectiveness and unnecessary divisiveness. It can even be thought of as desperation.

Geographic divisiveness has long been thought of as one of the Stl Metro areas biggest challenges.

I'm far from a fuddy duddy stick in the mud. My response is to try harder. I'd say the same with sand up comedians. Anyone can take the shortcut approach.

And for the record I've been an urban dweller across the Unites States and Internationally since the age of 17.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
It doesn't bother me particularly, but I'd rather see the urban core highlighted for what it brings to the table rather than singelng out an affluent suburb in a snarky way. I'd rather see the whole region grow and prosper. Just my speculation here, but people who are inclined to live in Chesterfield probably won't be convinced to move to the CWE or Lafayette Square by an ad campaign like this. Moreover, I doubt that many people who are seriously looking at homes in the city have Chesterfield second on their list.

I'm guessing the proponents of this campaign probably support a city/county merger so that they can get some of the tax revenues out of Chesterfield and would welcome the lowering in the crime statistics that would come with such a merger.

It's ironic, but it is the county that is usually accused of acting in a parochial way.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
It doesn't bother me particularly, but I'd rather see the urban core highlighted for what it brings to the table rather than singelng out an affluent suburb in a snarky way. I'd rather see the whole region grow and prosper. Just my speculation here, but people who are inclined to live in Chesterfield probably won't be convinced to move to the CWE or Lafayette Square by an ad campaign like this. Moreover, I doubt that many people who are seriously looking at homes in the city have Chesterfield second on their list.

I'm guessing the proponents of this campaign probably support a city/county merger so that they can get some of the tax revenues out of Chesterfield and would welcome the lowering in the crime statistics that would come with such a merger.

It's ironic, but it is the county that is usually accused of acting in a parochial way.
That's exactly right -- the joke wasn't really for those who live in Chesterfield. It's a joke for urbanites.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's exactly right -- the joke wasn't really for those who live in Chesterfield. It's a joke for urbanites.
I get that and didn't want to make a big deal of it, I just think there are better ways to do it, but then again I'm not an urbanite or a Chesterfield resident. I'm just an inner-ring suburban guy who still enjoys doing things in the city when I can.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM

^I actually think, if anything, you and your neighbors are more the type they're going for. or maybe some of the folks like Inahandbasket who lived in the 'burbs up til and no longer than it took for the kids to get through school.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

This.

It highlights the lomg term Stl problem of in fighting and parochialism instead of seeing the bigger picture.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
Do city residents really need to be so snarky about people who choose to live in West County? To me, this is nearly as bad as the people in the suburbs who won't go east of 170 unless there's a Cardinal's game. We can do both extremes - "the city is a crime-ridden hell hole" vs "West County is bland and full of nothing but snobby soccer moms and strip malls" but what's the point? It does not accomplish anything; neither living option is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis