Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 AM

33 posts, read 184,335 times

Advertisements

okay, so I'm gonna have to say goodbye to Palm trees, hot weather all year round (which I LOVE) and the beach. My hubby has a great job opportunity in St. Louis. Has anyone else ever lived in FL and made the change? If so, how did it go? I'm really nervous about the winter...seeing as how we may likely be moving in Dec/Jan. I've never been in anything below 30 degrees and I'm pretty sure that was on a vacation somewhere. LOL. I'm used to 70 degree winters...so I know that will be an adjustment.

Can anyone tell me something beautiful about the St. Louis area...something that I could actually look forward to? I've heard the bad stories about the crime and it looks to me like the cost of living is actually higher there...as in rent anyway than it is here in Orlando. So, I'd just like to hear some positive feedback....anything new going up around there, are the people friendly, what's the scenery like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:37 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
You are definitely in for a shock with the winters in this area! I just moved to the St. Louis area myself but I only moved from 90 miles away so we had the same weather conditions for the most part. I live on the Illinois side of the river in a town called Fairview Heights. It sits 13 miles from downtown St. Louis and has better access to downtown that any Missouri suburbs. The light rail system starts in Illinois in Shiloh. In St. Clair County (the county bordering STL/Missouri) there are a little over 250,000 people and is a great suburban area. The crime rate is relatively low (except for in Belleville/East St. Louis). As it is called, the "Metro East" is growing in leaps and bounds. However, it all depends on where you are working. I live in an Illinois suburb but I work west of St. Louis in Creve Coeur. I drive through the city every day to get to work at 9:30am and the traffic isnt bad at all, it takes me about 45 minutes.

If your husband is working downtown I would definitely recommend checking out an Illinois suburb because of its great access to the light rail system that has 4-5 stops downtown.

STL has a great zoo, science center, the arch is a huge attraction of course (and its awesome to go up in it, except for the elevator ride). Downtown is in a transitional period where it is growing and being developed little by little. Many abandoned buildings have been rehabbed in the last 5 years into lofts. There was a big announcement last week for a new retail district downtown.

Really what it boilds down to, and I know Im rambling, is what kind of life you arel ooking for. Do you want urban or suburban? Where is your husband working? Things of that nature.

The biggest crime ratios are pretty much concentrated in to certain areas (north St. Louis). There are plenty of places in STL where you can feel safe in your home.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 18,631 times
I hate summer and dislike extended periods of very warm weather. But if you have never been in anything below 30 degrees, then you are in for a shock. The average first freeze in the city is on Halloween, and in the outer suburbs, mid October. The average first significant snowfall is early in December. In January, the average low is 21 and the average high is 39. We do see temps in the 60s at times (and yes, even a few 70s from time to time). But on the other end, we see sub-zero temperatures from time to time. The coldest ever in the city is -22 F, while some of the outer suburbs have been close to -30 F.

May be too cold for you, but I like bitter cold weather. And the snow is definitely worth it for me. Our winters have sucked for the past several years, but we normally see at least one 6+ inch snowstorm during the winter, and average 20 inches of snow throughout the entire winter season.

Cold weather is easy to handle. Just put in layers of clothing until you feel comfortable. And when a major winter weather event is forecasted, stock up on food and medical supplies should transportation become impossible due to drifting snow or a sheet of sheer ice covering the road. Winter is an extremely beautiful season. Snow is beautiful, and so is an ice storm. In winter storm conditions (when ice/snow is covering the road), do not drive faster than 25 MPH, even on the interstate, and leave A LOT of distance between you and the person in front of you. Ice is amazingly slippery both for pedestrians and motorists. I manage to fall everytime an ice storm occurs. And expect to slide when driving too. Never slam the brakes as this will only make you slide for about half a mile.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:12 PM

my husband is from Ohio, so I know he will adjust fine. I just grew up on the panhandle for the first 22 yrs of my life living by the beach and then moved to Orlando 6 yrs ago. So Florida has been my life needless to say. I've traveled around. I visited NYC in October several years ago and thought I was gonna die cuz it was so cold. LOL and I had my first trip to visit my inlaws last November in Ohio...also WAY cold. Sooo yea, I'm sure it will be an adjustment. I've never really seen much snow..no more than barely covers the ground and have absolutely NO CLUE how to drive in it. So we shall see about that! We will actually both be working in Fenton. We have been looking at renting places in possibly Chesterfield, Eureka, Gravois Bluffs, and Wildwood. Definitely looking for more suburban living, but also like to be near things like restaurants, malls etc. We like newer developed areas as well. =)

Old 10-05-2007, 02:59 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Don't let anyone scare you. Coming from a warm weather state you are going to think our winters are bad, but, they could be a lot worse. We really don't get much snow at all. It might snow two to three times a year where we get any accumulation, and then, it's off the roads pretty much the next day. So driving in it is never a problem except during the snow. We did have a rare ice storm last year, but it was the first in many, many years. The snow could be on the ground for awhile as we can have some cold spells, but heck, you go from a heated house to a car with heat to a heated work area (I hope). We are very much the same as way southern Ohio, but nothing as bad as northern Ohio. I do know that the traffic will be much better, and I believe it's much friendlier here (and about to get two people friendlier, right?)

Old 10-06-2007, 07:52 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,588 times
As you consider areas to live, I encourage you to look on the Illinois side. Edwardsville is the town I live in, and we are just 25 minutes from downtown St. Louis. It is a nice town. Don't worry about leaving the warm Florida weather. I came here from Texas almost 5 years ago, and I've rather enjoyed the change of seasons. I find the summers here to be just as hot. St. Louis is an awesome town, and the crime tends to be isolated in certain areas. I have never felt unsafe in St. Louis, and I spend a lot of time there shopping, going to sporting events, going to shows and taking my kids to all the family friendly locations. I LOVE St. Louis, and I hope you will, too!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 AM

The Illinois side looks nice, it's just that it seems like a far commute to Fenton.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,930 times
Default I love it here!!

We decided to move from FL after hurricane after hurricane. Give me winter, earthquakes and tornadoes any day.

There isn't a day I don't marvel at being here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Missouri View Post
okay, so I'm gonna have to say goodbye to Palm trees, hot weather all year round (which I LOVE) and the beach. My hubby has a great job opportunity in St. Louis. Has anyone else ever lived in FL and made the change? If so, how did it go? I'm really nervous about the winter...seeing as how we may likely be moving in Dec/Jan. I've never been in anything below 30 degrees and I'm pretty sure that was on a vacation somewhere. LOL. I'm used to 70 degree winters...so I know that will be an adjustment.

Can anyone tell me something beautiful about the St. Louis area...something that I could actually look forward to? I've heard the bad stories about the crime and it looks to me like the cost of living is actually higher there...as in rent anyway than it is here in Orlando. So, I'd just like to hear some positive feedback....anything new going up around there, are the people friendly, what's the scenery like?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 PM

285 posts, read 1,067,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Missouri View Post
The Illinois side looks nice, it's just that it seems like a far commute to Fenton.
I live in Fairview Heights and work in Creve Coeur, MO. Its about the same distance to Fenton, and I spend 45 mins on the road. You wouldn't really be affected by the 64 shutdown because you would hop on 255 S from the Illinois side.

If 45 mins on the road is too long, then maybe so. Its 30 miles from FVH to Fenton. The drive doesn't bother me, it's worth it to live here! Great community feel, great shopping/dining, etc.

Cost of living is lower, access to St. Louis (downtown) is much better than 99% of Missouri suburbs. Gasoline costs more in Illinois, but that's why I fill up on the Missouri side before heading home; in Missouri, you pay taxes on your car (what a crock that is, huh?).

Old 10-21-2007, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,441 times
Exclamation STL vs FL

"Can anyone tell me something beautiful about the St. Louis area...something that I could actually look forward to? I've heard the bad stories about the crime and it looks to me like the cost of living is actually higher there...as in rent anyway than it is here in Orlando. So, I'd just like to hear some positive feedback....anything new going up around there, are the people friendly, what's the scenery like?"

I just recently moved to Sarasota Fl (been there a year), but I grew up in STL and lived there for 22 years. I feel I have a good perspective of both places.

Something Positive about STL: As far as scenery goes, I think STL and the surrounding area is far more scenic than Florida. There are rolling hills, farms, forest and mature trees that constantly change with the seasons. The landscape, towns and cities in STL are better maintained and less scraggly than Florida. Traffic is usually lighter in STL. Housing is cheaper in STL than Orlando, Tampa or Sarasota/Bradenton. You can get a 2500sf fifteen year-old house in some very nice STL suburbs for under 300k. Also, in STL, houses are not clustered like Florida. By Clustered, I mean that whole areas are either nice or not-so-nice, In Florida, rich and poor are intermingled with fewer middle class.
Crime in STL: Crime in Florida is worse than in STL. Just about all of the crime in STL is located in east STL, which is across the river in Illinois, or in North STL. 75% of STL county is very safe (expect to see about five times as many cops in STL than in FL). Downtown STL feels relatively safe most of the time. I used to live in West STL County, and I never questioned my safety at any hour of the day. Here in Sarasota, supposedly one of Florida's nicest cities, I occasionally question my safety, even in wealthier areas.
Weather in STL: Let me start by saying I hate cold weather; this is why I moved to Florida. However, the weather is nicer in STL from April-October. Don't believe what you hear about STL's summer humidly. Sure, it gets humid in the summer, but its no where near as bad as Florida. The winter temps can be cold, but the biggest shock will be the lack of sunshine. Expect winter to be gloomy, It can be overcast for 7-10 days in a row. Also, in the winter, it gets dark at 4:40pm in STL, not 5:30pm like you’re accustomed to in Florida. On a positive note, STL can get quite warm in the winter. I went back to STL for 10 days last December for Christmas; it was mostly highs in the 50s with a few 60s, only dropped below freezing for about 3 nights.

Few more positives of STL compared to FL
Culture, history and architecture of an older city
Larger and cleaner downtown
More activities and things to do
Schools in suburbs are far superior to just about all of FL’s schools
You will not get rained on everyday in the summer
Wildfires are rare
No hurricanes
Hardly any tourists
More quality doctors

Negatives about STL
More smog in summer
Have found people in Sarasota more outgoing and friendly
Rollercoaster weather: 81 Mon, 58 Tues, 55 Wend, 74 Thurs.

*You should also note: Very few people live in downtown STL. Of the 3 million people who live in the STL MSA, only about 300,000 live downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis