Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM

7 posts, read 13,118 times

Advertisements

Hello,

THis is my first time posting and i was wondering if anyone could give me good info about the St. Louis Metro area. I 34 year old Married Black Male with 4 kids and I was just wondering what would be a good diverse neighborhood to move my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Hey There

St. Louis is sure to have lots of options for you! However, to truly help you out I think we'll need a bit of extra info!

1) Will you be renting or buying a house?
2) What is your budget? (And how many bedrooms /bathrooms etc)
3) Will your children be going to Public or Private Schools?
4) What is your maximum expected commute time?
5) What amenities are important for you and your family?
6) Do you prefer an Urban/City or Suburban vibe?

I don't mean to be nosy, but this will definitely help narrow down the options!

I hope you and your family love it here!

Amitiés,
Amber

Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Thank you for replying. No issue about being nosy..I need the help
1. I will be renting
2. My budget is $1200-$1300
3. Public
4. I am willing to commute 30 min
5. Amenities are 4 beds 2.5 baths some yard space and maybe a 'man cave"
6.I would perfer a Suburban vibe. I can always go into the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Hey There

St. Louis is sure to have lots of options for you! However, to truly help you out I think we'll need a bit of extra info!

1) Will you be renting or buying a house?
2) What is your budget? (And how many bedrooms /bathrooms etc)
3) Will your children be going to Public or Private Schools?
4) What is your maximum expected commute time?
5) What amenities are important for you and your family?
6) Do you prefer an Urban/City or Suburban vibe?

I don't mean to be nosy, but this will definitely help narrow down the options!

I hope you and your family love it here!

Amitiés,
Amber

Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Hi Again

I'm assuming you'll be taking employment at Emerson on the W. Florissant Ave location? (if this is otherwise let me know as the search options will change!). With that said- here would be my suggestions:

Maryland Heights
I used to live there and still love the area. Most of Maryland Heights is in the Pattonville School District (very good) and some I believe is in the Parkway School District (extremely good). Maryland Heights is extremely suburban but still has good interstate access and is conveniently located. I never had any issues with safety or crime when I lived there. Your commute time to Emerson Electric would be 15 mins. The only downside is the cost- although it's not impossible to find a house within your budget to suit your needs, most houses in that price range will be only 3 bed/2 bath. I did however find this one at the top of your price range with 4 beds/ 2 baths at 2274 Bennington Pl

Florissant:
I'm admittedly biased because my husband and I just purchased here. Florissant is the biggest suburb in the county (over 50,000 residents) so there are both good and bad areas of Florissant. The school districts definitely seem passable and Florissant was recently in CNN/Money Magazine's list of Top 100 Small Cities in the U.S.A. The biggest benefit of 'FloMo' is that you get a lot of bang for your buck. It would be much easier to find a home here within budget that suits your needs than Maryland Heights for instance. Your commute time however would only be about 11 minutes depending on where in Florissant you lived.

Other suggestions I have for search areas which would suit your needs and price range would be: St. Ann, Bridgeton, St. John, Overland, Breckenridge Hills, Hazelwood, Calverton Park, Ferguson, Creve Coeur (great schools although may be hard to find something within budget) and Olivette (although again, a challenge to find something within budget).

University City may also be an option but U. City has a much more 'urban' feel and again, it may be a challenge finding a house to suit your needs within budget in a decent area of U. City. It does however have a lot to offer and would be a fun place to raise a family.

Webster Groves, Kirkwood, Clayton, Brentwood etc are all fine communities too- but often have much smaller / older housing stock. The houses that are large enough to accommodate your family will probably be above budget.

To begin with though, I would focus on Maryland Heights, Florissant and the other bolded suburbs I listed.

I hope this helps! Again, I hope you and your family love it here

P.S. There are some super pretty areas around Emerson Electric (Pasadena Hills, Pasadena Park, Bel Nor, etc) but the school districts leave much to be desired. If that's important for you, these areas probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:31 PM

P.P.S. I just noticed this house in the Overland area that comes in on budget and would definitely suit your family's needs as far as space goes!
2524 Frances Ave.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Wow!! that helps alot thank you so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis