Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times

Advertisements

Planet Sub is always a good choice, haven't gone to one here in St. Louis yet, but I think my wife and I recently learned they were on the radar here.

There was a little restaurant that kept failing when I was in Warrensburg, over 4 years I saw at least 5 things go in and out of that little hole in the wall. The one that's actually lasted for the last 8 years or so is a Planet Sub. My wife and I used to frequent one in KC while we were out there also, good sandwiches.

Potbelly's was just a "treat" for all us crewmembers whenever we went through Dulles. If you're hanging out at the Dulles airport around breakfast time, go to five guys. I don't think they serve breakfast at their stand alone restaurants, but their breakfast sandwiches at Dulles were rediculous, and could induce a coma within minutes of consumption. I was ecstatic when they finally appeared here in St. Louis a few years back, but have only been on very rare occasions when I intend on punishing myself with wicked huge burgers, and amazing peanut oiled french fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Are there any Firehouse subs in St. Louis yet? Had one in Gainesville, FL years ago and they've opened a few in the KC metro in the last couple of years. Just saw that they have one in Jefferson City as well. Definitely recommend them if they're around; good stuff.

Last edited by aragx6; 09-20-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,778,191 times
I haven't seen any Firehouse subs yet, but I know Planet subs is here. I ate at the one in St. Peters that just opened on Mid Rivers Mall Drive. It was OK, but Jimmy John's is better IMO.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Are there any Firehouse subs in St. Louis yet? Had one in Gainesville, FL years ago and they've opened a few in the KC metro in the last couple of years. Just saw that they have one in Jefferson City as well. Definitely recommend them if they're around; good stuff.
There is one in Chesterfield, and another one is supposed to be opening up in O'Fallon. We used to eat at Firehouse all the time in Charlotte, NC so I was excited when I saw they were opening a few here. I hope they open up some more closer to downtown since we are never in Chesterfield. That and Jason's Deli. Used to eat there a lot in Charlotte too, but the only one in the area is in Chesterfield.

I tried Potbelly's today. It was good, but I guess I was expecting it be a lot better since so many people rave about them. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again. The sandwich I got didn't have very much meat on it, I'd hate to see what one of the "skinny" sandwiches with less meat looked like. The sandwich was just too much bread and not much else to it, I think if I try it again I'll do the option of having thinner bread.

And I agree with whoever said the calories were about the same as other sandwich places. They have all the calories posted, none seemed too bad. Well, except for the PB&J which I believe was 850 calories. I guess its meant to be split between a bunch of kids?

I'll be trying Planet Sub next. I drive by there all the time, but never really thought to go in. The name and logo made it seem kiddy. I was expecting a Pizza Planet type place with games and such.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:02 PM

164 posts, read 377,588 times
Potbelly originated in Chicago. Decent place, good shakes, but nothing mind-blowing to me.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist1972 View Post
Potbelly originated in Chicago. Decent place, good shakes, but nothing mind-blowing to me.
They are OK.

My question would be why eat there when there are better local options - Amighetti's or the Southwest Market?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM

Because the masses don't live in the city

In all seriousness, it's likely because they just arrived. The same feelings were had when Five Guys first showed up, and Chick-Fil-A stand alone stores are a wicked hit...always packed. My guess, even though you can get a local burger, or a local chicken sandwich (and a better one in my experience...especially the Chick-Fil-A) It's still a popular option for the masses...and even though you have local options, chains will always be in the mix.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:40 PM

164 posts, read 377,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They are OK.

My question would be why eat there when there are better local options - Amighetti's or the Southwest Market?

That Hazelwood Amighetti's is not good. And Adriana's...now that is brilliance.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist1972 View Post
That Hazelwood Amighetti's is not good. And Adriana's...now that is brilliance.
dangit, he said Amighetti's, I was thinking Adriana's...Love their little pizza's, haven't tried their sandwiches but I've had friends who rave about them.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I tried Potbelly's today. It was good, but I guess I was expecting it be a lot better since so many people rave about them. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again.
That's exactly how my lunch crew felt. We heard so much about it and read the comments, and it is right in front of my office, so we were ready to fall in love - but it pretty much fell flat. It's a cheap option, but as far as quantity, you get what you pay for. I'm no fatty, but I would like an option to get more than just their tiny sized sandwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00
I'll be trying Planet Sub next. I drive by there all the time, but never really thought to go in. The name and logo made it seem kiddy. I was expecting a Pizza Planet type place with games and such.
Nope, just a restaurant, and really cool inside actually. It's the opposite of Potbelly's as far as size goes - they pack it on. Pastrami melt probably has an inch and a half of meat on it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis