Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times

Advertisements

Glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by Potbelly's! People in Chicago seem to just love them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
It's important for me to separate the chain segment with the local segment.

I was able to give Planet Sub a try in the chain segment recently while in town recently. I went to the one in Maplewood, on a weekend afternoon. My first impression was that it appeared as a cross between Potbellys, Quiznos, and Picklemans.

The owner, Zach was there. We chatted a while. He told me that they copied/patterned themselves after Potbellys. He owns the one downtown, Maplewood, and St. Peters.

My 2nd impression was the menu, very large, and pricey for the segment. I tried the chicken club as Zach mentioned to me that it was his favorite sandwich and it was one of their most popular sandwiches. I had a large, which is considered 12 inches vs 6, similar to Subway. I eat half and split it with someone else, or, I'll eat the other half later for a different meal.

The first thing I look for is main item topping. i.e. chicken in this example. Quantity and taste. Next I consider the bread. Then eventually the other items in the sandwich.

Main item quantity and sandwich taste was fine for the segment. I wasn't a huge fan of the bread nor lack of choice in bread.

Price point was the biggest problem. $5 for a 6 inch sub is too much money for me to go regularly vs comparable others. Total sandwich price is approx $4 overpriced, or $2 per 6 inch sammie. There were some other sammies priced about 50 cents cheaper total sammie, as well as a couple of wraps.

It wasn't a bad sandwich in the chain segment. I appreciated the chicken quantity vs some others in the segment. The bacon didn't do much for me, but for the segment, the sandwich was solid. But I was surprised at the price point. That's probably working out well for business, but perhaps not for me in the future.

I'd go back, once in a while, if in vicinity of a Planet Sub location. I wouldn't seek it out, nor be a regular. Zach was friendly and shared a lot of info, and asked a lot of questions. He's a Rockhurst College grad.

I'm not a Panera person when it comes to chain segment sammies in St. Louis. So, other options are always welcome.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,409 times
I ate at Potbellys recently so that I could have a fresh in mind comparison w/Planet Sub, and others.

You are looking at about $4.50 for Potbellys, $4.79 for some others, one meal sammie that is cut in half, but too small for anything more than one meal. You can't eat half and save half for later. It isn't enough food for many/most. But, for one person, one meal, it's plenty imo. Lots of bread, perhaps too much, and just enough toppings, though a little more would be ideal.

Planet Sub would be $8.50 to $8.99 for a large depending on the choice. One could also get a half for a more than half the price for a half.

Cost was comparable. With Potbellys you will get your sammie cut in half, and , this total sammie compares in cost to half of a Planet Sub sammie. Potbellys has better value for what you get imo. Half of Planet Sub sammie is superior imo to half of the Potbellys sammie. But the two halves of the Potbelly sammie comined is superior to Half of a Planet Sub sammie.

Both places are a little high in price for value, significantly better value though than a Panera or some other sammie chain segment places.

Topping quantity is an issue for me with Penn Station as well as lack of bread choice. lack of bread choice is an issue with Jimmy John's as well.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:20 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quiznos, Planet Sub, Potbelly, Pickelman's Subway, and Firehouse are ok...if you're gonna go chain go Jimmy Johns.

Gioia's, Blues City Deli, Mom's Deli - now those are outstanding subs.
SouthWest Deli is an honorable mention.

Companion Bakery has wonderful sandwiches some of the best bread in the country.
I also recommend The Daily Bread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis