Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times

Advertisements

Anything in health care will be easy enough to procure a job in -- that's a hot industry just about everywhere. Construction is a lot trickier and subject to the whims of the economy, but I can't say I know all that much about getting into the field. I would think that getting hooked up with the Laborers' Union would provide the best potential for long-term employment, but I don't know how hard that is or if your husband would have the certifications they might be looking for.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:06 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Louisiana, Missouri-
Hannibal, Missouri
Farmington, Missouri
Herman, Missouri

Out of curiosity why outside the st.louis area?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I like Washington the best of any that have been mentioned. Washington has a fine old downtown which needs some revitalization, and a nice waterfront. There is some building of new homes there, I think. Or there were some new homes built there before the recession hit. Close by is Union MO as well.

Springfield is a growing city, but I don't like it much. There doesn't appear to be much regulation of retail and growth. Traffic is awful at rush hour, especially for such a small town. Signs for every business imaginable are placed right at the street and the effect is discordant. On the other hand, the medical facilities are good. I don't care for the restaurants either. It is near some pretty country, though. And I've never met kinder, nicer people than there. But I'd go nuts if I had to live there. To me Springfield is more Southern and a town like Washington is more Midwestern. (Good hospital in Washington too, and you would be closer to really topflight healthcare institutions there in nearby StL)

I really don't care for Branson.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM

204 posts, read 422,505 times
no real reason outside of STL...just seemed closer to home (maryland) if we had to drive back for the holidays and seemed to have more historic areas...along the water,I welcome any suggestions. thanks! I like Washington also..and did not care for Branson as I menitoned..a county Las vegas to me...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,935 times
Any opinions on Boonville, MO? We are looking to move and are looking for a smaller city (20k or less), great schools, and very low crime in the Columbia or STL regions.
Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestern Mover View Post
Any opinions on Boonville, MO? We are looking to move and are looking for a smaller city (20k or less), great schools, and very low crime in the Columbia or STL regions.
Thanks!
Boonville hits the mark on low crime, but their test results are pretty middling.

GreatSchools.org Search: boonville r-i school district

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times
I agree with the suggestions of Washington - one of my favorite small cities in Missouri. Today, it is far enough out of St. Louis to still maintain its character and charm, yet close enough to get to the city if needed. It's proximity to St. Louis is similar to Easton's proximity to Baltimore (which has many similarities to St. Louis). The topography of the areas to the south and south west of St. Louis (inclusing around Washington) is similar to what you would find in parts of western Maryland. Having no bay, Missouri doesn't have land similar to the eastern shore - we have plains in the north and west, but no shoreline. If you like water activities and want be close to them, you may want to look at some of the smaller cities around our man made lakes. Rolla? Lebanon? Jefferson City is larger than what you listed, but due to the population densities of the east coast, I think you may find that it fuctions very much like Easton, but is also the state capitol.

In general, southern Missouri tends to be more conservative, especially more conservative than the areas around St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia.

I am from Northeast MO originally, and while I think the river cities of Louisianna and Hannibal have wondeful character, I am not sure they would be the best option. Louisianna is much smaller, and Hannibal's growth is often stagnated by it's proximity to Quincy, IL. There are some beautiful older homes, but a lot that are sadly not well maintained. Northern Missouri will likley be a little more cooler in the winder than you are used to in Easton.

Hope this helps - Missouri is a wonderfly diverse state - it is hard to find one spot to love more than others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis