Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM

204 posts, read 422,505 times

Advertisements

looking for a small town no more than say 15k with a historic downtown area, with good schools and a community feel. A town that has parades, festivals, tree lined streets with historic homes (with front porches). A Ymca..and other things for families to do.

Here's who we are..40's white, middle class family, mostly conservative, family of 6. we have two in elem. one middle and one infant. So schools are pretty import. We are outdoorsy, like to fish, hike, hunt and camp. A big friday night for us is listening to a free concert or bonfireing with friends. We don't need alot of night life really. A good pizza place, mom and pop breakfast joint and a movie theatre will do just fine!

Mom is a stay at home right now, Dad is in the building trades..superintendent in construction who is currently a carpenter due to the economy.
We like the area outside of St. Louis but any part of the state that fits is fine...most important other than job prospects for me are the houses...REALLY want the tree lined streets and historic homes!

THanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I like Washington on the Missouri River.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I will second Washington, and also suggest Hermann. I'm not sure what the schools are like in either though, hopefully some others will be able to assist there

Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM

thank you for all the suggest. I was wondering if I expanded the area to around Kansas City and Springfield..would you have some other areas for me to look into with a large historic area??I have read alot about Louisiana, st. Joseph any ideas? Also what are the major if any differences between Kansas City and STL? Having never visited either I am curious. thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
St. Charles!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:40 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
Festus/Crystal City probably worth looking at.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
kbug3, Washington is just about the size you mentioned. So is the Festus-Crystal City area. Good choices.
But St. Charles is far larger than 15,000. To be honest, it's hard to find that "small town feel" most anywhere in St. Charles County these days. It's really just become a crowded extension of St. Louis.

A few other cities and towns which are around the size you are talking about: Fredericktown, Hannibal, Troy (IL), Rolla, Farmington, Chester (IL), Union, and Godfrey (IL).

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM

30 posts, read 43,128 times
Not any notable differences between KC and St LOuis-around the KC area-Weston MO and Atchinson KS are both excellent river towns of under 15,000.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM

30 posts, read 43,128 times
and anywhere outside of Springfield would work-Ozark MO and Branson MO come to mind. And really, the Springfield area would be the prime spot to move to over the two Missouri cities (KC and St L.)

Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Thank you so much for all the responses!! ya'll gave me alot more to look into! .....So Springfield over STL and KC? Interesting why may I ask?

We have been to Branson..not for us..WAY to commercial and like a little "country vegas" with all the shows and things haha we stayed a night and moved on. We were visiting some family that live in the southern part of MO. We are from Maryland and are in the country..but that was a bit much for us! I saw some beautiful historic homes for sale in Lexington I believe...really it will ALL come down to a job for hubs.then hopefully we can find one of these historic towns nearby... we are waiting to for the elections to be over in NOV. We feel whom ever is the president elect will make a BIG difference on the economy and hiring. THanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis