Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Agree, no major concerns with either school districts - both are well funded. Safe, suburban, "bubbles." I am biased toward Ladue because I live there, but Kirkwood seems to have more cheerleaders-- people who live there seem especially proud of the community. I have said this before, and I have no solid evidence to back it up, but I suspect there are a lot more home owners in Kirkwood who were raised in that community - it seems to have a high nativity index. Most everyone I know who lives in Kirkwood is from Kirkwood. Most people I know in Ladue are from somewhere else. For that reason alone, I prefer Ladue - I guess I relate better to "outsiders."
Fair comment, but there are a lot of people who buy in Kirkwood who are not from here originally, but there are a lot of locals who stay here, too.

It's too expensive for a lot of locals, just being honest. Not as expensive as Ladue or Clayton, but still too much for many, especially in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Agree, no major concerns with either school districts - both are well funded. Safe, suburban, "bubbles." I am biased toward Ladue because I live there, but Kirkwood seems to have more cheerleaders-- people who live there seem especially proud of the community. I have said this before, and I have no solid evidence to back it up, but I suspect there are a lot more home owners in Kirkwood who were raised in that community - it seems to have a high nativity index. Most everyone I know who lives in Kirkwood is from Kirkwood. Most people I know in Ladue are from somewhere else. For that reason alone, I prefer Ladue - I guess I relate better to "outsiders."
I grew up in St. Louis, left at 17 for college and have lived several places domestically and Internationally since. I visit with great frequency as I have relatives throughout the Stl metro area. Plenty of times I relate better with outsiders. I could say the same for other places too. It isn't the same as you though because I am not considered an outsider by the locals.

Kirkwood is rah rah put the endless political signs in your yard type of place. (I'll save my disdain for political signs in yards for another time.). The community is very active in Kirkwood. I wish it had better bar food. lots of below average choices. But it's a solid Mayberry feel, with the walkable areas and activity. A few relatives of mine moved there 5-6 years ago and like it. It was a shock at first, all the rah rah cheerleading, but, it's there for the taking, but you still choose how much or little of it is for you. Yes there are many multi-generational Kirkwood-ites, but also many newbies who quickly become part of the Community of Kirkwood and grow to like that too.

Ladue of which I'm also familiar, having had good friends grow up there, is wealthy bedroom community vibe vs the upper middle class to middle class vibe of Kirkwood. Seclusion and exclusion is more present in Ladue.

Kirkwood will have a Million dollar home next to a One hundred thousand dollar home next to a Five hundred thousand dollar home type of place. Ladue, generally speaking, is more secluded and exclusive and more centrally located.

Both are considered good choices to have and preference is personal in terms of characterisitics most or more important to the original poster.

Last edited by Fishtacos; 10-29-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
^Agree with most of this. The two towns have great schools and are conveniently located, but other than that are pretty different. Ladue feels more exclusive and country-clubish. Kirkwood is smaller lots w/ more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis