Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is moving to St Louis next year, and they are going to be renting a house. I've been checking real estate sites, and I've seen there are many houses available in a neighborhood called Ballwin and another one called Creve Coeur... I was wondering if anyone could give me information on those two, are they nice to live in? Safe? Do they have a downtown with a few shops and stuff? That kind of thing...
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
Heya!

Ballwin and Creve Coeur are both GREAT neighborhoods and very safe! Neither have a 'downtown' per se, but Creve Coeur has a lot of businesses centered around Olive Blvd (dining, groceries, etc) although it's not quaint or walkable. Ballwin's businesses seem to be centered around Manchester Rd.

I used to live one town over from Creve Coeur in Maryland Heights so I often went to Creve Coeur to go to Dierbergs (a more upmarket grocery store than Schnucks) and for dinner. A lot of the housing stock in Creve Coeur and Ballwin seem to be Mid Century, 70s and 80s when the areas had their predominant growth.

Before I moved to St. Louis, Ballwin was one of the areas recommended to me but I found it a little less accessible than Maryland Heights as it was further from interstate access (my commute downtown would have taken me between 30-45 minutes as opposed to the 25 minutes from Maryland Heights). Most areas of Creve Coeur are very accessible to the interstate also, so you'd be looking at a 20 minute commute to downtown St. Louis if that's important to you.

Overall, both are very, very safe and very pleasant areas although I've always personally preferred Creve Coeur due to it's easier access to St. Louis, location and range of amenities (although both are pretty comparable in this regard). However, I think you could be very happy and content in either place.

I hope that helps!

Let us know if you need any more info

Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,678 times
Thanks very much for all the information, all of it is extremely helpful!! I was wondering, since they are still deciding what neighborhood would be best to live in... which of the suburbs close to st Louis has the most walkable downtown? Or is generally the most walkable, because that's actually one of the things that my mom really looks for. Thanks again, we are still kind of lost, it's hard picking where to live without having visited before!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,040 times
Check out Clayton, Webster Groves, Kirkwood (assuming good schools are important, if not, you've got more options). Expect to pay more or get less house than in Ballwin and Creve Coeur if you want to live in these areas.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM

I have to agree with Billiken- Clayton, Webster Groves and Kirkwood all have walkable downtown areas. However, my mother has been looking to buy in Webster Groves / Kirkwood and we're finding that the housing stock (square footage, condition of the home etc) doesn't get you nearly as much bang for your buck as Creve Coeur / Ballwin would. However, they're great neighborhoods with a lot of charming houses and the added benefit of being walkable.

St. Charles has a historic downtown area also, but it's mainly cafes / bars / gift shops and for it to be walkable, you'd have to live in the heart of historic St. Charles (which again may come at a premium).

If you don't mind me asking, where are you moving from? What's your budget, house size, lot size requirements, etc?

Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
To the great list started by others above I would add Maplewood and University City. U City is the most urban. I'd also consider Richmond Heights as well.

If your family is looking for a walkable downtown, Creve Coeur and particularly Ballwin are going to feel very exurban to them.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM

8 posts, read 14,717 times
Hi everyone! I am "MaruGor" by the way. This was my first username but I was banned because I posted a volunteering option (a link) for someone who asked for one in another thread and I didn't realize that if I didn't have 10 posts and posted a link it would be considered spam. So anyway, that got cleared up now since I wasn't spamming haha, and I got this username back, so I won't use the other one in order to not violate the one account per person rule.

So anyway, to give you a bit more background, the other thread I opened asking for information was called "International Diversity in St Louis" where I explain more of the situation. Basically my parents are the ones moving to St Louis as expats, due to my dad's company relocating. Neighborhoods with good schools aren't going to be an issue since their kids (aka- me and my sister) are in college right now.

They are from Argentina, but are currently living in Toronto, so that's where they'll be moving from. The budget I'm not sure about yet, because as expats the company normally takes care of the rent, and the budget is always different. However I think it might be around $3000 for rent or something along those lines. They don't want a huge house since it's just the two of them, 3 bedrooms would be nice, and really they are more comfortable with townhouses style houses, since my dad travels a lot and my mom doesn't want to have to take care of cutting grass and shoveling snow which can be very time consuming for big houses. However they do like to have an outside area normally cause they are big into barbecues and stuff... So right now they live in a townhouse, that has a really nice deck where they can do that and they love it.

It's going to be quite a decision, because as you guys said they might be able to find a better house in neighborhoods like Creve Coeur and Ballwin but will have to sacrifice the city-feel or city life. And if they get a house in University City or Clayton it might not be as nice but they'll get to walk around and lead a more urban life, however the renting options are pretty limited there.

Again, thanks all for your input, it's been very helpful! And any ideas you might get keep them coming, we were all really lost before this since we knew nothing about St Louis. Now I've done a lot more research for them and they are feeling a lot better about this move! Though I'm sure they'll miss Toronto since they really like it and it is a very nice city, I'm sure St Louis is too though

Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
^If their budget ends up even close to $3,000 they can have their pick of areas in St. Louis -- and if it were me I'd pick Clayton or if they want something even more urban and walkable the Central West End. That's pretty high end here as St. Louis is a lot less expensive than Toronto. I think they'll be bored to pieces in somewhere like Ballwin. And there's a lot less diversity that far out.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 14,717 times
Thanks!! Yeah the budget might be less though, because I didn't consider how much cheaper St Louis was than Toronto... But I think they might still be able to find something in Clayton, maybe if it's $2500 or $2000 though it probably won't be as nice as other houses, but they do enjoy their city life.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 AM

St. Louis is SO much cheaper than Toronto that they'll have their pick of locations I think they'll easily be able to find somewhere to rent that suits their needs within their budget! Although even at 3000k a month a place in Clayton that suits their needs may be stretching it. Also, aragx's suggestion of U City is a great one! It's far more urban in feel than Kirkwood/ Webster Groves though- but a great place and your parents may enjoy it! I just did a quick search on Zillow for rentals in U. City within their budget and there seem to be a few houses which would suit your parents!

Also, I don't think the diversity issue is going to be a problem. I'm foreign myself and never had trouble fitting in. I made friends from all over the world in St. Louis- I knew quite a few South American (Brazilian & Argentinian) girls and guys in addition to Europeans. Although St. Louis is nowhere near as diverse as Toronto, for a city of it's size it still has a wide range of cuisines and amenities. I don't think your parents will have trouble fitting in at all

I hope they love it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis