Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:01 AM

536 posts, read 831,322 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine how much money MetroLink has lost over the years from people riding for free. Their method of doing things has just always seemed strange when I have spent time on other public transit systems in other cities where every ticket is checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,694,158 times
There was some study done in recent years that said that the costs of implementing a barrier system were higher than the money lost from fare-dodgers (it was talked about on this forum at some point--I don't have time to look it up now). I think that from a social point of view, people still prefer tickets and going through turnstiles, even if it costs a bit more...

Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
This semester, I am taking a few courses at UMSL (part-time). UMSL allows students who have paid the student activity fee to get a semester Metro-link pass.

This semester, I have been using the Metro-link to get to and from UMSL. Here's what an UMSL metro pass looks like: http://cmt-stl.org/wp-content/upload...loyee-Pass.jpg (But this one isn't mine)

As you can see, the pass requires a school ID. One day, however, I forgot (or thought I forgot) my UMSL ID. That was the day that an officer was on the bus and asked to see my ticket. When I showed him my UMSL pass, he also asked for my school ID.

I told him that I didn't have my student ID, but that I could prove that I was an UMSL student (I had a copy of my schedule with me, my book-bag, and I had just departed from the UMSL North Metro-link station). He asked me to step out of the train and wrote me up.

The court date is set for early December. The officer told me that, once I find my ID, I can show it to the judge, and the judge would decide whether to dismiss the case. I asked the officer if it was likely that the judge would dismiss the charge, and he said that he couldn't say for sure. He simply told me to show my student ID to the judge and that the judge would make a determination. When I called the courthouse in which my court is scheduled, the county clerk told me the same thing as the officer. She said that I could show my ID and schedule to the judge and that he would make a decision. I asked her if it was likely that the judge would rule in my favor, and she said that she didn't know.

The sad irony is that my student ID was in my book-bag the entire time. When I came home, I started looking through my book-bag and found it. I had it with me on the train and didn't even know it. It seems likely that it feel out of my wallet.

My other option is to pay $82.50 and have the case completely dismissed. My mother thinks that I should just pay the money and put this thing behind me. My mother also thinks that there are a lot of mean-hearted judges and that I shouldn't bank on getting a reasonable or kind-hearted judge. She also thinks that the judge could extend the case or try to charge me with something else. My mother also worries that, with finals and Xmas fast approaching, something might happen that could derail me from arriving to court on time.

I have very little money, and that $82.50 means a lot to me. I need that money to pay several bills. Secondly, I think that I might actually have a case. That's why I'm considering going to court.

What do you think? What have your experiences with such judges been like, and what advice would you give to someone in my position?

Feel free to PM me.
Have you ever noticed, as I have, that we are asked to show our IDs on the very days we least expect it? Never fails. 99% of the time, no one asks. Then there's that once. I'd not make your decision for you but a suggestion? I've seen many students on the busses with their IDs hanging around their necks. Not a bad idea.

Mother? "Mother knows best", they say.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM

536 posts, read 831,322 times
I ride the trains 7 days a week and I pay for every ride so it doesn't phase me really. I'm doing my part to support the rail, and that's all I care about.

If MetroLink wants to make me (a loyal customer) happy then they will stop people from playing music on the train without headphones. I am constantly subjected to Rap music on the Metro

Who the hell listens to music without headphones? That's a much bigger issue imo

Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Who the hell listens to music without headphones?
Easy! Lowlife ghetto rats who probably never pay the fare.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They have the same system in San Diego and Salt Lake City, among others.

Most newer systems are moving AWAY from the barrier method.
Well Most Newer systems in the last 5 years have designed to allow the Turnstiles to be put in with ease. All New Systems in Canada , the Middle East , Asia , and Eastern Europe have turnstiles... However there Downtown areas are often free....which is fine. Turnstiles do cost more , and its more of a feel good solution , you be surprised the amount of fare dodging is pretty low , lower then one thinks. The risk of a ticket is enough to scare people into buying a ticket.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,264,684 times
Speaking of "why do people do what they do?", why do people post replies that have nothing to do with what the original poster asked? It really isn't kind.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,753,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post

If MetroLink wants to make me (a loyal customer) happy then they will stop people from playing music on the train without headphones. I am constantly subjected to Rap music on the Metro

Who the hell listens to music without headphones? That's a much bigger issue imo
FOR REAL. That's the #1 most annoying thing about riding Metro. They really need to take some measures to curb that kind of behavior, but I'm not sure what could realistically be done. Maybe they should start writing tickets for it.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,031,701 times
If you contest the ticket, be sure not to forget your student I.D. this time

Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,776,758 times
The officer and the clerk both cannot express an opinion about your likelihood to get the ticket dismissed; but it should be pretty high. Go to court, show your ID (and the other materials that have been suggested too might be a good idea) and it should get dismissed.

While people like turnstyles, they are extremely easy to fare dodge as well. Someone who wants to fare dodge is not going to be stopped at all by a turnstyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: