Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,596,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschap View Post
I think Zach makes a good a point about the salary increase. It is true that everyone has their price. For example, if the OP is making 100k in Boston, it would be tough to turn down 150k in St. Louis/Detroit. Or for that matter, how about 500k in Baghdad or even $1.2 million in Mogadishu? You could get an awesome apt in St. Louis on 150k per year, and a palace with armed guards in Mogadishu on $1.2 mil.

The homers are getting upset and ganging up on me. I am going to sign off now because I think OP will get the message and conduct her due diligence. FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED!!!
You completely missed Zach's point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Regarding the City is separate from the County thing, a young 30 something women will want to live in the City, not in a far flung suburb with all families. In Boston, a young person can live downtown OR in many nearby areas (Brookline, Brighton, Cambridge, etc). In St. Louis, the nearby areas are dangerous.

OP -
If you are visiting there, go to more than the tourist areas. All of the surrounding areas to the North and especially East St Louis are incredibly dangerous. Bostonians don't realize how safe their City is compared to many rust belt cities. Imagine if Boston was surrounded by Roxbury on all sides, with the only safe areas being Back Bay and Beacon Hill. That's what it's like, a seige mentality. I give you this advice as I would to a sister or any single woman that was a friend. If you move there for the job opportunity, seriously consider your safety and do the following:

- move into an apt bldg with a door man
- get mace and learn how to use it
- consider getting a conceal carry permit and learn how to use a firearm. Only do this if you are going to train and feel comfortable with it.
- get a large dog like a german sheppard
- act quickly to meet a large boyfreind and move in with him

You don't want to end up a statistic.
you missed the point. The point of the county/city argument is not to say that you must live in the county to live in a safe area. The point is that the city limits are so small (60 sq miles) that it equals just the urban core of many typical cities. The urban core usually has the most crime, in any city, but that's masked in most cities because their city limits include much more than just that. In St. Louis, that's not the case. If St. Louis were like a typical sized city, then it would include much of the County, and the crime rate would go way down. In fact, the St. Louis metro area is pretty far down the list for highest crime rate. Metros like San Francisco, Nashvlle, KCMO, Jacksonville, Sacramento and many others are even ranked above it. So St. Louis urban core compared to urban cores of many cities would have about the same crime rate.

Boston is a different story because it's small and dense with a very low crime rate. I'm not saying St. Louis should be compared to Boston, because it's in a different league. But St. Louis is no more dangerous than cities like KCMO, Indy, Nashville, etc, yet it gets a very bad rap when those other cities dont get nearly as much criticism about crime

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
I think this OP has gotten WAY more information and commentary about St. Louis than she was expecting! She could almost be an expert at this point without ever having visited!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
I hope the OP comes back and lets us know how her visit to St. Louis went. Didn't she visit this past weekend or did I misread that?

Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,777,416 times
Boston is a nice city, but I wouldn't consider it a world-class city by any means. I reserve that title for the big three New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. All of which are more dangerous than St. Louis imo.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
^ Really? Chicago is world class as opposed to Boston? LOL

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM

46 posts, read 144,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
But St. Louis is no more dangerous than cities like KCMO, Indy, Nashville, etc, yet it gets a very bad rap when those other cities dont get nearly as much criticism about crime
There may be some statistical variation that makes St. Louis look worse than it actually is. However, it is still pretty bad. I wouldn't recommend that OP move to KC or Indy either. Again, it really comes down to how good the job offer is. I would give it a 35% over under. If the raise is more than 35%, I would say go for it. Under 35%, forget about it.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Good job offers aren't always about the money- they're about the opportunity. Sometimes, it may mean a step up the corporate ladder which will look good on a CV and lead to further and better opportunities down the track, even though it may not initially come with a significant salary increase. Plus, you've got to remember that the cost of living in St. Louis is a LOT less than Boston (according to a cost of living calculator, 42% cheaper overall) so even if the salary offer was dollar for dollar on her current job, she'd totally be coming out ahead.

Btw, KC isn't bad at all- nor is Indy.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
Charleschap, I have lived downtown for over 10 years. Quite frankly I don't think you have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 38,232 times
Quote:
Regarding the City is separate from the County thing, a young 30 something women will want to live in the City, not in a far flung suburb with all families. In Boston, a young person can live downtown OR in many nearby areas (Brookline, Brighton, Cambridge, etc). In St. Louis, the nearby areas are dangerous.

OP -
If you are visiting there, go to more than the tourist areas. All of the surrounding areas to the North and especially East St Louis are incredibly dangerous. Bostonians don't realize how safe their City is compared to many rust belt cities. Imagine if Boston was surrounded by Roxbury on all sides, with the only safe areas being Back Bay and Beacon Hill. That's what it's like, a seige mentality. I give you this advice as I would to a sister or any single woman that was a friend. If you move there for the job opportunity, seriously consider your safety and do the following:

- move into an apt bldg with a door man
- get mace and learn how to use it
- consider getting a conceal carry permit and learn how to use a firearm. Only do this if you are going to train and feel comfortable with it.
- get a large dog like a german sheppard
- act quickly to meet a large boyfreind and move in with him

You don't want to end up a statistic.
Rolling on the floor laughing at how ignorant of a statement this is. If anyone feels threatened by living in downtown STL or many of the surrounding neighborhoods.. then you need to move to Florida with the retired snow birds or North Dakota. STL is just like every other mid-sized city I've lived in and/or traveled int he US.

And what's with the East St Louis call-out? I would not walk through Harlem alone on a New York night. Is that, at all, an indicator of what it is like to live in the East Village of Manhattan?

You're comments are completely erroneous. Go back to Fargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis