Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times

Advertisements

You'll definitely need to get a weather radio when you get here. They usually happen a few times during the spring, so always be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM

787 posts, read 1,414,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTransplant13 View Post
Folks

Thanks for all the replies - they are ALL extremely helpful. Lots of food for thought!

One final question: how bad are the tornadoes? Is it a real issue?

Thanks!
What the other folks said. Buy a house with a basement and a two car garage. In your price range that won't be an issue.

There will be more energetic thunderstorms than you're used to in New Jersey. There will be hail events so it's good to have the garage. There will be the occasional tornado like the one that caused significant damage at Lambert STL Airport, the EF4 in 2011 mentioned in a previous post.

There was a straight line wind event Downburst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that struck STL on July 19, 2006. My family and I were having a late dinner at the City Diner on South Grand. We were about to leave when the sky got *very* dark very suddenly and we decided to wait out the storm. The wind was just howling between the buildings and we could see debris flying by. It didn't last long. The power went out and everyone who was in the diner couldn't pay electronically for their meals. Poor owner. We left what cash we had.... We drove west on Arsenal and had to pick our way slowly through the debris and downed branches from the trees from Tower Grove Park and on the other side of the street. Power was out all the way to West County where we lived at the time. It was really eerie driving west on Manchester with all of the buildings/businesses dark.
http://www.wikilou.com/1.20.0/index....m_and_Blackout

Bottom line: If the tornado sirens go off, heed them. Some people will beeyotch and moan that all the sirens go off when a possible tornado event happens "miles" from them. The siren system had a major upgrade last year. Even if you have a smart phone with multiple weather apps, the doppler radar is still not actual time; it's delayed somewhat. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM

40 posts, read 76,785 times
I lived in St. Louis until 1995 and now live in Marlboro, NJ! I can also happily say that we are heading south and getting out of NJ this summer! Yippee! I lived in St. Charles, but had friends from college in Ballwin, Kirkwod, Ladue and Clayton. Pricey, but not more than here. Great place to raise a family, however, I would never go back, and my sister and parents still live there. I get back once a year and that is just fine with me! My husband, born and bread in Monmouth County, doesn't like it at all. I can't put my finger on it, but it is jst missing something. Good luck to you, it will be great, slower pace, different lifestyle for sure!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTransplant13 View Post
Folks

One final question: how bad are the tornadoes? Is it a real issue?

They're few and far between. I think we need to be clear they're nothing like the ones you see on the weather channel or in the movie Twister.

Last edited by moorlander; 01-28-2013 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroitalian View Post
I lived in St. Louis until 1995 and now live in Marlboro, NJ! I can also happily say that we are heading south and getting out of NJ this summer! Yippee! I lived in St. Charles, but had friends from college in Ballwin, Kirkwod, Ladue and Clayton. Pricey, but not more than here. Great place to raise a family, however, I would never go back, and my sister and parents still live there. I get back once a year and that is just fine with me! My husband, born and bread in Monmouth County, doesn't like it at all. I can't put my finger on it, but it is jst missing something. Good luck to you, it will be great, slower pace, different lifestyle for sure!
I've noticed that about a lot of people from Missouri specifically and midwesterners in general. They can be in some of the most beautiful parts of the USA and they still all find their way back "home".

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've noticed that about a lot of people from Missouri specifically and midwesterners in general. They can be in some of the most beautiful parts of the USA and they still all find their way back "home".

We are going to North Carolina and hopefully this is it until retirement moves us to South Carolia!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
marlboro: Good luck! I agree that South Carolina is a lot of fun... North Carolina, not so much in my opinion (I just spent 4+ years there, couldn't wait to get back to STL!). I hope it works out better for you than it did to me! The Western part of the state around Asheville is nice, but the East Coast and Triangle could drop off into the Atlantic as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't shed a tear. Yup, I disliked it that much! Where in NC will you be moving?

Dinsdale is right in my case at least, Midwesterners definitely find their way 'home'.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
marlboro: Good luck! I agree that South Carolina is a lot of fun... North Carolina, not so much in my opinion (I just spent 4+ years there, couldn't wait to get back to STL!). I hope it works out better for you than it did to me! The Western part of the state around Asheville is nice, but the East Coast and Triangle could drop off into the Atlantic as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't shed a tear. Yup, I disliked it that much! Where in NC will you be moving?

Dinsdale is right in my case at least, Midwesterners definitely find their way 'home'.
Charlotte! Love the area!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM

20 posts, read 32,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroitalian View Post
So I saw you are heading to Charlotte - very jealous we lived there for 3 years and LOVED it! And I am also EXTREMELY familiar with Marlboro - I know it very well.

So you say you would NOT go back - obviously that caught my attention. I know you say you cannot put your finger on it but can you elaborate in any way, you have me very curious!

Also how to you compare Marlboro to St Louis? Even though you wouldn't go back would you pick St Louis over Marlboro or vica versa?

Appreciate your time - thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM

20 posts, read 32,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
They're few and far between. I think we need to be clear they're nothing like the ones you see on the weather channel or in the movie Twister.
Thank you - I do have visions of "Storm Chaser" running through my head!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis