Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am a 25 y/o single male moving to STL in about a month or so. From browsing these forums and and such, I have come to the conclusion that I probably want to live in CWE, Washington Ave area, or Clayton. I am looking to spend around $1000(+-200ish) a month for a 1 br place. Nightlife is my first priority, with apartment quality coming in pretty close second (not worried about safety b/c I have read that they are all safe). Big sports fan too, I am coming from Boston. I want to live in the area with the best nightlife for single mid to late 20's, while living in a nice apartment. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
If apartment quality and nightlife are your top priorities I would say (in order), Wash Ave, then CWE, then Clayton. Most of the downtown apartments are recently converted lofts with all the bells and whistles and Wash Ave is probably the premier nightlife destination in the metro area. All three major sports' stadiums are also downtown, so check that off as well. It's mostly 20-somethings and 30-somethings without kids and who aren't from STL originally, so you'll fit right in.

The CWE also has a lot of nightlife, but it's a 1 AM closing time rather than 3 AM like on Wash Ave. The CWE has been a residential neighborhood for a lot longer than downtown, so most of the buildings are vintage and aren't likely to have the same newness or level of amenities as the downtown lofts. A few of them do, but they'll probably be at the top of your price range. On the flip side, the CWE is a bit classier and more upscale than downtown, if that matters to you. It's mostly 30-something working professionals in the south part and families in the north part (roughly).

I'm not as familiar with Clayton as the other two. I know there's some nightlife there but I'm pretty sure it's not as much as the CWE, and certainly nowhere near as much as Wash Ave. I've never heard anybody say "Let's tear up Clayton tonight!" I think the vintage-building issue applies there as well. It seems like that area is mostly split between 30-something professionals and families with kids. Like the CWE, it's also got the upscale classy vibe if you like that.

$800-$1200 for a one-bedroom is doable in any of them.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Dawn sums it up nicely I think. Wash Ave sounds like the best choice for you. You might also add Soulard to your consideration set. There is one section of Soulard in particular that is packed full of bars and restaurants (on a map it would be roughly the area bounded by Russell Blvd, S 7th St, Lafayette Ave, and I-55). It's more mixed age wise than Wash Ave but there are always folks looking for a party there... Soulard also features some amazing brick architecture, a cool French Quarter vibe and an annual Mardi Gras that is second only to New Orleans in scale which I believe is happening very soon (?). Bottom line, it's a fun, unpretentious area that I would check out if I was looking for active nightlife.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
I think you want to follow Dawn's advice and start in the city. You might want to ease your way into Clayton later in life.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
I agree with the others that Clayton would come last out of the 3 in consideration. I also second zach's suggestion that Soulard may be a choice you'd like to consider Wash Ave for sure would probably be your best bet though!

Good Luck!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,737 times
Thanks guys, awesome insight!

Edit: Does anyone have know of popular (good reviews, etc.) loft buildings on Washington Ave that I should be aware of?

Last edited by 25malesingle; 02-02-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25malesingle View Post
Edit: Does anyone have know of popular (good reviews, etc.) loft buildings on Washington Ave that I should be aware of?
I'm moving downtown myself in a few months and I'm looking at Merchandise Mart, Rudman on the Park, Vanguard Lofts, Bogen Lofts, and Warehouse 7. Off of Washington but still downtown there's Paul Brown Lofts, Bell Lofts, Ludwig Lofts, and Lofts at 315, just off the top of my head.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
CWE. It has more nightlife, apartments can be bought at a reasonable price and its very walkable. Washington Ave is fine but its only begining to have a nightlife scene. Clayton is also okay but CWE is probably the closest one to what you are looking for. Nightlife can be experienced anywhere in these areas. Also sports culture is high in CWE. Iwould also consider delmar loop in U City. Plenty of nightlife (more so then all of these except CWE) and its walkable and much cheaper then the other 3

Old 02-03-2013, 07:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
I would choose Washington Ave. I have lived down here for 5 years and have been satisfied. It very walkable to sporting events, concerts, mass transit, and some of the best restaraunts and bars in the region. Most of the building are loft style apartments in old warehouses. Very trendy and cool.

Clayton is a little older sterile and stiff crowd. Not a huge nightlife scene but does have a few good places for a beer.

CWE is great. Much like Wash Ave but a less gritty and a little more sophisticated. You may have a harder time finding a housing unti you are looking for.

If you look on Wash Ave try Ely Walker, Ventana, Bogen, Fashion Square, Rudman, Lucas Lofts, Paul Brown, Park Pacific, for starters.

Let me know if you have questions or dm me.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
FYI Soulard is a viable alternative you may want to look at as well. Older historic neighborhood with a lot of bars and music clubs. A slightly different, less cosmopolitan laid back feel than Wash Ave and CWE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis