Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 10:08 PM

34 posts, read 106,913 times

Advertisements

I'm likely to transfer with my company to Pacific in March. What are the positives and negatives of Pacific?

Also, my fiancee and I are getting married in June and she's a teacher. I'm hoping she can find a nearby district to teach in.

We're also looking at other towns. Eureka seems to be too expensive. Washington is really nice, but also seems to be growing too fast for my taste. Union looks good and I especially like the looks of St. Clair.

I tend like towns that are big enough to have a decent local economy (grocery store, bank, restaurants, auto parts store, hardware store) but aren't big enough to attract Walmart, which makes Pacific or St. Clair winners, but that isn't everything to me either.

Last edited by nroden; 02-27-2013 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
All I know about Pacific is that they have a really nice animal hospital down there (Pacific Animal Hospital) that kennels dogs - I liked everything about leaving my dog there except for the 45 minute drive it took to get from my house and back each way. I have also been to Pacific a few times for little league baseball games. Those kids can play ball down there! It is a very pretty, forested, rolling hills and valleys area. Eureka is more suburban and a little closer to the city, with lots more money as a result. Downtown Washington is kind of quaint - I like it but Wal*Mart is definitely nearby. I know nothing about St. Clair but I presume it is hard core bible belt, rural poor, judging by the billboards I see when I am down that stretch of I-44.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,922 times
Here is a link about Pacific The City of Pacific, Missouri > Pacific Home Page. I too have been there for little league baseball games and yes they can play baseball!!! If your job is in Pacific then living there might be good for you. However, to get to any St Louis attraction - baseball or football games, the Zoo etc, it is a 45 minute - 1 hour commute. The further out you live from St. Louis, the fewer teacher opportunities there are. St. Louis is well known for private schools. Your fiance would have more job opportunities being closer to St. Louis with the public schools and the private schools.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM

Are drugs or crime a major problem in any of the towns, or is it something that mostly affects those who choose to be involved?

Also, we're looking for a good church or churches. I'm a lifelong member of United Church of Christ congregations, which are pretty strong in the St. Louis area. My fiancee grew up United Pentecostal. We're looking to find a good fit for both of us, or a situation where we can attend one early service and one regular service.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,871,087 times
Pacific is a suburb, far from the city core. It's actually very pretty, sounds like it would probably be a good fit for you

Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroden View Post
Are drugs or crime a major problem in any of the towns, or is it something that mostly affects those who choose to be involved?

Also, we're looking for a good church or churches. I'm a lifelong member of United Church of Christ congregations, which are pretty strong in the St. Louis area. My fiancee grew up United Pentecostal. We're looking to find a good fit for both of us, or a situation where we can attend one early service and one regular service.
Well, Union is the county seat of Franklin County. Union strikes me as a nice little town. Franklin county has a huge meth problem, as do many rural areas counties of Missouri, including nearby Jefferson County. Franklin county has a sheriff there, Jason Grellner, who has been in the news (local and national) quite a bit for his efforts to fight the meth problem. You can probably google it.

Now with that said, I don't know that this problem would cause you problems living in those areas, but since you specifically asked about drugs and crime, I thought I'd mention it. I assume it affects mostly those who choose to be involved.

Last edited by MUTGR; 03-06-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 11:03 PM

I began staying and working in Pacific on March 25. We got an apartment May 3 and moved our stuff May 12. Now I just have to wait for our wedding so my fiancee can join me up here!

Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Out of all of those I'd choose either Eureka or Washington. Eureka is in St. Louis County and the Rockwood school district, which might be very meaningful if you have kids. Washington has more charm than Pacific, IMO. I like where it is located on the MO river. It has a German feel, but is larger than Hermann.

Union and St. Clair are OK, but are too far out for my taste, although their setting is lovely. Pacific is the last on the list, as far as I'm concerned.

Please know that if you travel on I-44 daily, the traffic around Six Flags over Mid-America can be hairy. This is another reason for preferring Washington. By the way, Washington has a nice outpost of Mercy hospital in town.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,301 times
Default Pacific in the 1970's

I used to live in Pacific in the 1970's and worked at a bar called Ed's. Anyone remember? My name was Pat Butler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis