U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to move to St Louis from out of state. I will be doing grad work at WashU, and my wife and I are trying to figure out where to live. We have found a few places near Sylvan Springs County Park, but Google Maps says that it is a 30 minute commute with no traffic. During rush hour, would that be much closer to an hour or longer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM

8,547 posts, read 18,868,723 times
There are two chokepoints in this commute. The first is the 55/44 merge headed north. I am driving the opposite direction in the morning, exiting at Arsenal Street at 7:15-7:30 am. More often than not, the traffic headed north is a slow roll. The second problem is that you cannot access directly ramps onto 64 west from 55 north, so you must exit at 44 west. You have three options to get to 64 west at this stage, Jefferson Ave, Grand Boulevard or Kingshighway. The Jefferson Ave exit requires almost an immediate 3 lane shift from left to right to make that exit, the Grand exit requires a left turn off the ramp before you can reach Grand. Kingshighway is not a direct exit either, and you have to battle two very slow traffic lights here to get to Kingshighway, then the last 2 miles are 15 traffic lights.

A better way to try it, although at the expense of more miles, would be to cross into Illinois on 255 then take 255 north on the Illinois side to Rt 3, then to Rt 64. It seems implausible at first, to go south before going north, but if you are like me and detest having to stop or being hung up in traffic, this is almost a stealth way to get around the inevitable heartburn you'll face going the more conventional way.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,902 times
I appreciate your help. I see what you mean about crossing into Illinois. Is there ever a bottleneck at the bridges to cross the river? What if I took 270 North and 64 East?

Also, in St Louis, when/how long is the absolute worst of rush hour? It sounds like you notice around 7:00 am it's pretty bad. Would that be the worst time?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM

8,547 posts, read 18,868,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitashock View Post
I appreciate your help. I see what you mean about crossing into Illinois. Is there ever a bottleneck at the bridges to cross the river? What if I took 270 North and 64 East?

Also, in St Louis, when/how long is the absolute worst of rush hour? It sounds like you notice around 7:00 am it's pretty bad. Would that be the worst time?
Also, between 5 and 6 in the evening, during my evening commute, is probably worse than the morning. The really bad areas on my commute home are 64 between Kingshighway and 170 north. From what I understand, however, 270 is the absolute worst of the lot. On a few occasions I've been there during evening rush hour, in Maryland Heights, and 64 in Chesterfield, and I can easily see that the traffic in the outer loop is even more intense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis