U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:08 AM

57 posts, read 122,512 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'll be visiting St. Louis with my family for the first time in a few weeks. We're taking a little road trip from Kansas City. We're really looking forward to exploring your great city!! We'll be staying at the Hyatt near the Arch.

My husband and I are vegan and our girls are vegetarian. We're looking for vegan friendly restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel. We'll have our car so we're also open to checking out restaurants in other parts of the city.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM

210 posts, read 372,994 times
The salads at Prime 1000 are very good.

Last edited by rcjhku; 05-02-2013 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM

2,897 posts, read 2,415,644 times
I don't know of anyplace downtown that is strictly vegetarian, much less vegan, but I know you can find some good vegan/vegatarian fare at Local Harvest and Everest, both on Olive, and there is a Pita Pit nearby as well, on Pine I think. Pi pizzeria supposedly serves up some vegan pizza, they're up on Washington. You will be well served hitting up the Schnuck's grocery store on 9th to stock up on essentials - It's a very nice grocery store, and while the assortment does not stack up to a typical suburban grocery, I'll bet it is better stocked in vegetarian/vegan stuff than most.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Thank you rcjhku and zach_33! I appreciate the input. I've found that many cooks/chefs are happy to accommodate when approached politely, so I'll definitely look at the mainstream places too. I'll check these places out!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,231,808 times
Great choice of hotel! I hope you'll thoroughly enjoy it

I'm a Vegetarian also, and as others have said- there's not anything 100% vegetarian downtown but there are some wonderful options all the same.

The Nepalese restaurant called Everest Cafe at 711 Olive St, downtown STL (not far from the Macy's) which Zach suggested offers some great vegetarian and vegan options (menu). It's only about half a mile from your hotel also so should be an easy walk!

Thankfully, you have your car so you'll be able to expand your search out a bit more!

The other suggestions I have around St. Louis would be:
  • Frida's Vegetarian Deli (622 North & South Rd)
  • Gokul Indian Restaurant (6101 Delmar Blvd)
  • Black Bear Bakery (2639 Cherokee)
  • Govindas (3926 Lindell)
  • Raj Rasoi (McKelvey Rd in Maryland Heights)

Beyond that though- you'll find that a lot of places do offer decent vegetarian and vegan options (especially at the ethnic restaurants- Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Mediterranean, etc). You honestly won't be hard pressed to find somewhere to eat! My mother is 100% Vegan and never had any problems finding dining options whenever she visits me in the Lou, and I don't consume Dairy (I will eat Free Range Eggs if I know their source which is why I don't classify myself as a Vegan) and never have any issues finding something adequate on the menu at most places!

There used to be a cafe on Cherokee called Shangri La which had THE BEST Vegetarian Breakfast Buffets- but unfortunately they closed down not too long ago

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy our wonderful city!!!

P.S. Ignore the suggestion of Prime 1000- I think they were trying to be funny (it's a Steakhouse), not helpful.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM

Wow thanks glamatomic! Great list of choices. I'm really thrilled to be visiting SL. Lots of places on my must see list!! I've been reading about the Black Bear Bakery online. Do they offer brunch on Saturdays or Sundays? Also, how do you like the Ethiopian place...is there only one in town??

Thanks a bunch!!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 35,447 times
There are so many options!

Definitely check out SweetArt if you're here when they're open. They do lunch and baked goods and are entirely vegetarian with lots of vegan options. Their vegan brownies are the best brownies I've ever had.

My favorite restaurant is Banh Mi So on South Grand. The owners are Vietnamese and vegan and the restaurant has tons of delicious vegan options. The mung bean spring rolls are indescribably wonderful. BANH MI SO #1 - SAIGON GOURMET

Second favorite is Meskerem, also on South Grand. The vegetarian combo platter is entirely vegan. It's not too spicy, in case any of you aren't into spicy food. Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant - St. Loius, MO

If you like Middle Eastern food, The Vine is also good. They're good to vegans. Even their baklava is vegan! Home

There's also a vegan food truck with delicious options. Check it out if it's near where you'll be. Lulu's Local Eatery

Enjoy your stay here!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks matriarco! We're looking forward to our trip!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,586,880 times
I second Sweet Art and Pi (they have Vegan pizza)

Old 06-03-2013, 11:10 PM

446 posts, read 440,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I second Sweet Art and Pi (they have Vegan pizza)
Make sure vegan Pizza has enzyme free cheese. Enzymes can potentially be extracted from pork and other animals.

Also, don't forget to try Samosa chaat from Gokul. (Bahot mazay ka hota hai).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis