Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM

16 posts, read 79,120 times

Advertisements

Hi. We're moving over the holidays to the area and I'm researching possible high schools for my 9th grade daughter who is an honors student & accomplished swimmer. For public high schools, we're considering Lafayette, Parkway Central & Parkway West. For Catholic high schools we're looking at Cor Jesu, Nerinx and St. Joe's. Anyone care to rate them or give me a sense of personalities/programs? And, I have a 5th grade daughter too. Haven't looked at the K-8 options in those areas. Any help there? And what about public elementary and middle schools in the Lafayette, Parkway Central & West districts? Thanks.

Last edited by Mary-Iris; 11-02-2007 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,715 times
The Catholic schools you listed are better than the public schools. All three have good reputations for both academics and athletics. From the kids I have seen graduate from my daughter's elementary school and go on to these high schools, I can make a few generalizations.

Cor Jesu is a very intellectual school. They are very strong academically, and require very high test scores to get in. There seems to be less focus on social activites and cliques.

St. Joe's probably has the strongest swimming program of the three schools you mention. They are very stong on sports of all varieties. Their girls tend to be wealthy, but not overly catty about it. Confident girls tend to do well here. If your daughter is insecure or unsure of herself, this is not the place.

Nerinx is very good for the social girl. They seem to be less stressed out by grades than the other schools mentioned. They do have good academics, but it isn't the best place for the nerdy bookworm type. Extroverted, "bubbly" kids seem to be the happiest here.

Personally, I would be fine with my daughter going to any of these schools. If your daughter is an honor student and star swimmer, she will do fine anywhere, so you could let your daughter check out the schools herself and pick the one she likes best (that is what I am going to let my daughter do when the time comes). Between those three, she is not going to make a bad choice. I don't know if you are in town this weekend, but all three schools are having open houses from noon to 4 on Sunday, November 4.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Every school you mentioned is a great school. Regardless of the impression from TGS, if you have an interest in sending your kids to public school Parkway has one of the best reputations in the area.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Iris View Post
Hi. We're moving over the holidays to the area and I'm researching possible high schools for my 9th grade daughter who is an honors student & accomplished swimmer. For public high schools, we're considering Lafayette, Parkway Central & Parkway West. For Catholic high schools we're looking at Cor Jesu, Nerinx and St. Joe's. Anyone care to rate them or give me a sense of personalities/programs? And, I have a 5th grade daughter too. Haven't looked at the K-8 options in those areas. Any help there? And what about public elementary and middle schools in the Lafayette, Parkway Central & West districts? Thanks.
Lafayette is in the Rockwood School District that has I believe 4 high schools now. Lafayette covers areas out in Wildwood and western areas of Chesterfield. Marquette HS (Rockwood) covers Clarkson Valley, Ellisville, Ballwin, south Chesterfield, and Ellisville. I graduated from Lafayette years ago and since, they've built so many new schools and changed boundaries because of that. Chances are, your child will be attending a school with fairly new facilities in Rockwood. Both Parkway and Rockwood High School campuses have indoor swimming pools and teams.

As for the private schools, I'm not sure what the differences are between them. I do believe that the quality of education is better in private schools than public schools. There is John F. Kennedy High School in Manchester. I'm not sure if it is Catholic or secular private. Good reputation I think.

Last edited by MoNative34; 11-02-2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Spelling... my bad!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:00 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
St. Joe's probably has the strongest swimming program of the three schools you mention. They are very stong on sports of all varieties. Their girls tend to be wealthy, but not overly catty about it. Confident girls tend to do well here. If your daughter is insecure or unsure of herself, this is not the place.

I don't know if you are in town this weekend, but all three schools are having open houses from noon to 4 on Sunday, November 4.
I'm gonna step outside for awhile.... It's a little stuffy in here.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,802,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Iris View Post
All of the ones you mentioned are good schools, located in different areas(though not incredibly far apart.) The biggest difference will be choosing a public school vs private school and what is the best fit for you child and what your child wants(assuming money isn't an issue for you) It's about the kid.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM

16 posts, read 79,120 times
Thanks. This was really helpful. Leaning toward St. Joe's & Parkways. We'll have to see them & get our daughter's input. At least we know we are on the right path. Won't be there to house/school shop until December, but now we've got some direction. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis