Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,679,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm told crime in St. Louis is limited to the north side and black kids (unfortunately) involved in the drug trade.

Don't tell this guy:

'Senseless' shooting in Bevo area kills catering director who beat cancer : News

Or Megan Boken (CWE) or the Bosnian shopkeeper, to name a few non-black, non-gang, non-north side related victims of violent crime in the LOU the past year or so.
Megan Boken, Bosnian, and Bevo are reported to all have been done by black people, so even though the victims weren't black, the perpetrators were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Megan Boken, Bosnian, and Bevo are reported to all have been done by black people, so even though the victims weren't black, the perpetrators were.
Yes, I should have said crime victims are said to be mostly black kids involved in drugs and gangs on the northside.

Overall, crime might be down, but it sure seems like what violent crime there is is more brazen and more spread out. Some of the comments of folks who live in the Bevo area are rather illuminating.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, I should have said crime victims are said to be mostly black kids involved in drugs and gangs on the northside.

Overall, crime might be down, but it sure seems like what violent crime there is is more brazen and more spread out.
Exactly, that's why some people don't feel very safe. In many cities the crime is isolated to pockets of bad neighborhoods, and gangsters killing other gangsters...people tend not to care or be worried. But in St. Louis, killings of innocent opposite races occurs in broad daylight. The younger criminals today grow up without a second thought, there really isn't organized crime anymore. It's much easier to get a weapon, arm one self, and attack people. Gangsters of the older days sought to just rob, not kill. Today it's shoot first rob second run third, and unfortunately cops don't have the resources to deal with it alone, which is why many people decide to arm themselves. Obviously it's not a warzone, and being attacked is still rare, but it's not out of the picture, even on a bright sunny day downtown St. Louis.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 AM

7,099 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
St. Louis has a very high crime rate. Some areas of the city are very unsafe and a person may have the need to defend his or herself.

Have you ever been bullied or attacked? I have. While I don't own a gun I respect the rights of those that do and understand why they own or carry them. I learned as a kid to fight back and defend myself. I used my fists and now keep a Louisville Slugger handy to use if someone tries to attack me. Just in the last few years that I lived in the KC area I had to deal with more than one threat against me and even someone that started to do a kick box routined against me during a road rage incident. Since I know how to fight I was able to block every kick and punch and the creep ran away as I was getting ready to clobber him. I could have taken him down with one punch.

Get my point? The police are NOT going to be there to defend you. They show up AFTER an incident has occurred. If you don't learn to defend yourself against thugs and bullies (that like to pick on people they perceive as weak and unable to defend themselves) you will become a victim.
Your point well taken! I understand and respect the right to conceal and carry although I don't see the need in it personally.

I grew up in North County and was bullied in elementary school. Like you, it didn't stop until I fought back.

As an adult I'm intrigued by the fear that some have who feel the need to carry to the grocery store and to get gas.

Otoh, I've not been in any altercations that will warrant lethal force with a total stranger. I will avoid confrontation at all cost.

I don't fear crime. I know it exist. I believe in using street smarts to avoid certain people, places and things. I guess that's why I don't find it necessary to carry. Btw, I live in Hyde Park neighborhood in the Southside of Chicago. So I probably won't fear living in St.Louis city.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:40 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,165,140 times
Quote:
Exactly, that's why some people don't feel very safe. In many cities the crime is isolated to pockets of bad neighborhoods, and gangsters killing other gangsters...people tend not to care or be worried. But in St. Louis, killings of innocent opposite races occurs in broad daylight. The younger criminals today grow up without a second thought, there really isn't organized crime anymore. It's much easier to get a weapon, arm one self, and attack people. Gangsters of the older days sought to just rob, not kill. Today it's shoot first rob second run third, and unfortunately cops don't have the resources to deal with it alone, which is why many people decide to arm themselves. Obviously it's not a warzone, and being attacked is still rare, but it's not out of the picture, even on a bright sunny day downtown St. Louis.
So let me get this straight. As long as they kill black people (innocent or not) its alright. The minute a white person is a victim of crime its an epidemic? Oh ok.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM

188 posts, read 374,232 times
At least for homicides this year, at the current rate, it will be about 77, which is 24/100k population. This is a 33% reduction compared the 34 homicides/100k that we had last year. There have been some shocking incidents in the last few years but as a whole, the city is getting much much safer.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
So let me get this straight. As long as they kill black people (innocent or not) its alright. The minute a white person is a victim of crime its an epidemic? Oh ok.
Can you read the words gangsters killing other gangsters? Blacks destroy their own communities and it all starts there, clean up the ghetto and clean up the community then well see change, hard to do that as a white outsider.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 PM

1,270 posts, read 2,165,140 times
Quote:
Can you read the words gangsters killing other gangsters? Blacks destroy their own communities and it all starts there, clean up the ghetto and clean up the community then well see change, hard to do that as a white outsider.
I've lived in black and white communities and I can assure you that most black neighborhoods, even in scary ole St. Louis, are not dangerous and most blacks are not killers or gangsters. I don't see how less than 1/10th of 1% of a population can define a whole community. You really need to get out more and stop being indoctrinated by the media.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,205,729 times
St. Louis is not a southern city in my book. It's a typical rustbelt city.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I've lived in black and white communities and I can assure you that most black neighborhoods, even in scary ole St. Louis, are not dangerous and most blacks are not killers or gangsters. I don't see how less than 1/10th of 1% of a population can define a whole community. You really need to get out more and stop being indoctrinated by the media.
No one ever said it did, nor did anyone say most blacks are killers or gangsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis