Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM

589 posts, read 1,106,565 times

Advertisements

I think Minnesota is Canadian, not midwestern ... don'tcha know?? (LOL)

Seriously, there is a cultural difference between Missouri and the south. While some places MAY have them, it's not typical to have grits in St. Louis .. nor sweet tea. Just two quick examples
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
After growing up in St.Louis, living in Charlotte Memphis and Chicago, St. Louis is midwestern.

St. Louis doesn't have baptist churches on every corner like the southeast. You do see the catholic influence all over the place. With the urban bones and architecture with row houses and bungalow vacant factories and gritt, it doesn't feel southern.

I'm curious about what southern city St. Louis resembles and in what way?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
The reason St. Louis seems Southern to you is because you're from the upper Midwest. I'm from Memphis originally (the real South) and I can guarantee you St. Louis is 100% Midwestern. Spend some time in the real heart of Dixie and you'll see what I mean. People actually make fun of my Southern accent here, and I only have a slightly Southern accent.
I agree with you. There is nothing “southern” about St. Louis. St Louis doesn’t even resemble the other 99% of Missouri. It’s a whole universe unto itself. I have lived in Missouri my entire life and have visited St Louis about a dozen times. I get an “eastern vibe” while I’m there. The city has more in common with Chicago or Detroit than it does with any southern city.

If you’re from Minnesota, then St Louis might appear exotic. On my last trip to New York City two years ago most of the native New Yorkers confused me for someone from the south because my mother tongue is “Midwestern Missouri redneck hick.” I grew up in a small redneck town on the Missouri/Kansas border, south of Kansas City. But my accent might be a little warped because my mother is from Texas, and I might have picked up a little Texas twang on a few words here and there. It’s all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Last edited by RDM66; 06-18-2013 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I am from St. Louis and live in Chicago and there was another guy from the bootheel of Missouri in my office and people couldn't get over how I talked the same way Chicagoans did while he had a southern accent, and we were both from Missouri.

I knew a guy from Iowa in college who said he couldn't get over how eastern feeling St. Louis was.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I was born and raised in Illinois, lived in Chicago and several other states before I retired. I don't care where I lived in the world. When I heard the word Chicago mentioned I knew I would probably find a kindred soul.

I do not know St. Louis as intimately as I do Chicago. When I go on business I am treated very well, and I eat well. Should I fall ill, I am near one of the 25 best hospitals in America.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
St. Louis is a midwestern, rust belt city. It is a very catholic city. It's called the gateway to the west, but it looks east and north for its peers. It was one of the major destinations for blacks leaving the south during the great migration - they certainly considered it to be a northern city.

Just because we feel southern to someone from Minnesota doesn't make us southern. Minnesota might feel Canadian to me, but that doesn't make it so.

Travel to the deep south and tell someone you're from St. Louis and they will likely call you a yankee.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMN View Post
I disagree. I see absolutely nothing Midwestern about STL.

And the official line seperating South from North is the AR- MO state line.
I Traveled back to STL and KC a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much more southern flavored things seemed as I live further north in Wisconsin now. (I'm originally from the Kansas City region). The intensity of the sun further South also reminded me how much I hate the heat and humidity (length of the Summer).

Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
St. Louis is a midwestern, rust belt city. It is a very catholic city. It's called the gateway to the west, but it looks east and north for its peers. It was one of the major destinations for blacks leaving the south during the great migration - they certainly considered it to be a northern city.

Just because we feel southern to someone from Minnesota doesn't make us southern. Minnesota might feel Canadian to me, but that doesn't make it so.

Travel to the deep south and tell someone you're from St. Louis and they will likely call you a yankee.
St. Louis is fairly far south if you compare its latitude to the vast majority of Europe and the core of the Midwest northward. London, England and Berlin, Germany are both at latitudes that are substantially further north than Minneapolis, although the climate of Minneapolis is obviously colder (no moderating influence from the Gulf Stream Current in the Atlantic Ocean that western Europe receives). St. Louis did have a large immigration of people from Germany in the lat 19th century and early 20th century similar to a Milwaukee, although the later had a much larger Polish component as well. Of course, the Great Migration followed after that. St. Louis is a geographic outlier because northern Europeans did not really settle in large numbers in the southern US, hence the large contingent of the populace there idenfitying as "American" with ancestry generally comprising of English, Irish, French, Scots-Irish, etc. The largest flows of northern Europeans in the prior century tended to cluster in much of the Upper Midwest as it had many of the similarities they were looking for compared to where they migrated from in Europe. In the present day I see very few similarities at all between the Upper Midwest and Lower Midwest.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:10 AM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I Traveled back to STL and KC a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how much more southern flavored things seemed as I live further north in Wisconsin now. (I'm originally from the Kansas City region). The intensity of the sun further South also reminded me how much I hate the heat and humidity (length of the Summer).
I can think of few places that wouldn't seem southern after spending time in Wisconsin. Spent some time up in Sturgeon Bay - Very strange place.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
I just got of the phone with my cousin from Birmingham and he thought it was laughable that people thought St. Louis was southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis