Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 02:54 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Wait, I'm defening St.L-- as the hockey team is THE Blues, no? This is why my thoughts are far closer to a southern influenced one then a Chicago one. Chicago is more like a Detroit style vs Miss. Delta Blues music type city. Chicago is a Jazz city not a Blues music city. Memphis is a Blues city, & again, St.L is more like Memphis style (hence a southern style city) than Chicago, in my opinion.
Too bad Jazz is a Southern musical style (started in New Orleans) that was brought to Chicago during the Great Migration. One of the most famous Jazz musicians is also from the St. Louis area. You know...that little known guy named Miles Davis. So that pretty much pokes holes in your theory. Both Jazz and Blues are Black American cultural products, which by default makes them Southern artforms. Also St. Louis has no shortage of Jazz culture until this day. It also historically was and still holds a place in the music culture of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
St. Louis felt a lot more Midwest in architecture, layout, and mannerisms than it did Southern to me on visits. I think a large part of it is the gritty industrial feel in parts with a bounty of large historic buildings.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 PM

45 posts, read 46,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'll chime in to say it is MOST for sure southern, as the Blues music is Miss. Delta influenced -- vs Chicago which is Jazz. So by reason of the music & cultural comparison, I'd say far closer to Memphis style than Chi-town -- which is north latitude & midwest longitude. Just IMHO.
Chicago had the blues too as did Detroit. All came from the South. North latitude Midwest longitude...that’s real specific. St. Louis is definitely both of those. St. Louis got blues and jazz from Memphis as did Chicago during the Great Migration. Southern culture is not native to St. Louis...St. Louis was a recipient of it through the Great Migration as were other Midwestern cities. Your argument has been nullified.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:38 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
We've been beating this dead horse for a long time. Saint Louis was a French town well into the early decades of the 19th century. That era was mixed in later years with settlers from the upper south. Then it became very Irish and even more German and still bears strong German roots today. There were blacks there from the beginning -- some free but most were not until the 1860s. The Great Migration brought a different wave of southern blacks and some southern culture. There has been an influx of transplants from rural Missouri and 40,000 Bosnians. It has been one thing and then another for its entire history. It is the westernmost eastern city, but apart from that it pretty much defies categorization or labels. yThe one thing that is constant is the river...its reason for being. There is a faint culture associated with the river that can be mistaken by some for southern and one can find it in many river towns up and down the Mississippi and lower Missouri and probably in places on the Ohio River. Different regions claim this, that, or some other thing, be it food or music or language, but they all flowed through and found a home in Saint Louis because it was, and is, the crossroads of regions and American cultures.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 AM

42 posts, read 30,089 times
St Louis was the largest city in any Slave State --- but it was the Union Armies Gibraltar of the West -- which helped mightily in defeating the Confederacy ---

growing up in the CWE ---I've always looked at Out State Missouri as an embarrassment ---like most southern states are

Old 01-30-2020, 06:08 AM

42 posts, read 30,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
A border city is more like it. Union controlled and with abolitionist leanings to me makes for a Northern city in a Southern state. St. Louis has always been at odds with its home state and many St. Louisans will agree.

agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis