Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,873,697 times

Advertisements

P.S. I would probably go with your first option (the downtown area) for a hotel, but I would try to get at least a 4 Star hotel so you'd end up with a Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt, etc. On the northern side of downtown there are some sketchy little cheap motels that I would probably want to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,060,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz34 View Post
When you say bad do you mean hotels, areas or a combination of those two?

Is there one area you would pick over the other?
I'd probably choose the downtown option for the reason that no matter where Priceline would put you, it is likely going to be on the tight downtown grid bounded by Memorial (on the east), Washington (on the north), I-64 (on the south), and Tucker (on the west). I suppose they could surprise you with a couple hotels closer to Jefferson, but that would seem unlikely. In any event, within that grid, you can walk to a lot of stuff and easily hop on a metrolink to get out to Forest Park.

With the midtown option, you have a decent chance of being placed down along I-44 near Hampton (I would think) which would not be cool from a tourists perspective. Nothing interesting nearby, no metrolink. Of course they could put you somewhere right by Forest Park, which has more to walk to nearby, but even then you might be nowhere near a metrolink. But yeah, I'd go with downtown personally.

There are crappy areas within both of the shaded regions, but no decent hotels are in the said crappy areas. Keep 3+ stars and you won't end up in anything like the Travelodge north of Lumiere (yikes)

4 stars, wow, my fellow posters travel well. When I use Priceline I usually go 3 and that gets me at least into a clean (and better than average) independent or else a very consistent business class chain like Hampton or Courtyard.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,851 times
I've lived in and worked (as a police officer) in the City of St, Louis for over 15 years. Anyone who thinks this is a safe city is either naive or completely out of touch with reality.

Violent crime is not limited to the North side ( generally considered north of Delmar). The southeast portions of the city, the "state streets" on the south side, portions of the Central Corridor", Downtown to include the riverfront area, Forest Park and other areas have all experienced crimes such as murder, armed robberies, home invasions, thefts and other types of assaults.

Racial polarization has plagued the city for decades. City government and the courts are notoriously liberal and fail to appropriately address the crime and criminals. The police work hard to abate the problems, but suffer from under staffing, under pay, an extreme lack of support from the city government( as strange as that may sound) due mainly to city politics.

There are good areas of the city but they are mainly surrounded by the bad areas. It's been my experience that he city has earned its most dangerous city reputation. Those who say the ranking is a matter of statistics do not understand the workings and shortcomings that cause these problems. I challenge them to spend some time in the areas I've worked in.

On the good side, there are beautiful areas of the city that I truly appreciate and many decent people, but the cities short comings tend to outweigh its positives.

You may never be a victim of crime in this city but chances are you will have some type of negative experience. Just hope that it will be minor.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM

805 posts, read 1,560,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askmeiknow View Post
I've lived in and worked (as a police officer) in the City of St, Louis for over 15 years. Anyone who thinks this is a safe city is either naive or completely out of touch with reality.

Violent crime is not limited to the North side ( generally considered north of Delmar). The southeast portions of the city, the "state streets" on the south side, portions of the Central Corridor", Downtown to include the riverfront area, Forest Park and other areas have all experienced crimes such as murder, armed robberies, home invasions, thefts and other types of assaults.

Racial polarization has plagued the city for decades. City government and the courts are notoriously liberal and fail to appropriately address the crime and criminals. The police work hard to abate the problems, but suffer from under staffing, under pay, an extreme lack of support from the city government( as strange as that may sound) due mainly to city politics.

There are good areas of the city but they are mainly surrounded by the bad areas. It's been my experience that he city has earned its most dangerous city reputation. Those who say the ranking is a matter of statistics do not understand the workings and shortcomings that cause these problems. I challenge them to spend some time in the areas I've worked in.

On the good side, there are beautiful areas of the city that I truly appreciate and many decent people, but the cities short comings tend to outweigh its positives.

You may never be a victim of crime in this city but chances are you will have some type of negative experience. Just hope that it will be minor.
So given what you know from your experience as a LEO, where you you tell, let's say, your sister who is married with two kids and both she and her husband work, they can spend 600k on a home?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,060,415 times
Quote:

Have you ever spent any time in any other American cities? I've lived in the St. Louis area for 11 years now, but I've spent many years in a few other equally large cities. They all have shocking, fascinating, violent crime. I've spent countless hours walking around in the downtown St. Louis area, Forest Park, using the metrolink, going to bars and restaurants with my wife in, sometimes in the marginally high crime areas like the State Streets, the Grove, Carondolet, Benton Park, etc and I have never once been assaulted or even felt threatened. I am sure my experience is not unique.

I guess it's all about perspective. If you spent your entire life in South County and then took a job as a St. Louis city police officer, I am sure that would color your perspective in a pretty negative way, but I gotta say, as a guy who moved here from Chicago, I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,775,300 times
Quote:

It's been my experience that he city has earned its most dangerous city reputation. Those who say the ranking is a matter of statistics do not understand the workings and shortcomings that cause these problems. I challenge them to spend some time in the areas I've worked in.
I think the more important question is not the presence of crime but the type of crime and how it affects others.
Country Life Acres currently has the highest murder rate in the region, but I am pretty sure anyone here would feel safe in County Life Acres (assuming they would even be allowed in). Meanwhile, there are plenty of otherwise safe seeming areas where parking your car overnight lands an extremely high chance of being a victim of a car clouting.

I think what you are missing from your experience is that cities that are considered statistically safer are not safer. You are experienced with St Louis, but not with other cities. How do Exposition Park (Los Angeles) or Woodlawn/North Kenwood (Chicago) compare to Midtown? How do South Central and Englewood compare to Dutchtown? I have lived in these areas of LA and Chicago and found that St Louis compares very favorably to them. My worst experience with general safety by far was the Mission District about two decades ago (before it was gentrified) when I witnessed several dozen gang fights from my hotel room. I still walked around the entire area the next day safely.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,873,697 times
Zach is correct. I've traveled the world extensively, and I've honestly had less problems living and working in St. Louis than I've had living elsewhere.

Every city has safe areas and dangerous areas. Even safe areas in every major city I've been to though have some crime. It is crazy to expect to live in a utopia that is affected by zero crime, if you want to live in a city.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,752,536 times
This sounds like your typical native St. Louisan exceptionalism that is all too common here. A lot of natives don't seem to understand that St. Louis is really not that much different from any other American city, and that includes crime.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
This sounds like your typical native St. Louisan exceptionalism that is all too common here. A lot of natives don't seem to understand that St. Louis is really not that much different from any other American city, and that includes crime.
So first, we blame the depiction of St. Louis crime on the Nation's ignorance in statistical analysis...and now, we blame it on St. Louisian exceptionalism (whatever this means), and then back it up with "high murder rate" statistics regarding a domestic violence case in one of our most well-to-do suburbs.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,028,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So first, we blame the depiction of St. Louis crime on the Nation's ignorance in statistical analysis...and now, we blame it on St. Louisian exceptionalism (whatever this means), and then back it up with "high murder rate" statistics regarding a domestic violence case in one of our most well-to-do suburbs.

Yes, so we discount what a city cop has to say about crime in the city. I can't think of a better expert on crime in the city of St. Louis than a city cop.

He wasn't offering his opinion on crime in St.Louis versus Chicago or any other city. And his point is well taken - there is crime and it's not limited to North St. Louis.

Heck, we are seeing more in the county too.

Last edited by MUTGR; 11-10-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis