Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I think you missed my point with Country Life Acres.
Country Life Acres is not at all dangerous. It is an extremely safe area.
But, using the same statistics that are commonly employed to call St Louis the most dangerous city in America, Country Life Acres is a dangerous city. It is easy to see the flaws in such statistics with an extreme case like Country Life Acres. It is not so easy to see the flaws with a city like St Louis where you have anecdotal confirmation bias to back up the flawed statistics. But the statistics are still flawed and they say that St Louis is the most dangerous major city, but that Country Life Acres is even more dangerous than St Louis. Because the latter statistic violates our anecdotal assumptions, it is easy to see the stat as wrong. Because the former confirms our anecdotal assumptions, it is easy to overlook the statistical flaws.
I understood where you were going with it, but the sarcasm doesn't play through the print very well. I think most on here understand that the statistics don't show the true picture of St. Louis City, which does give the entire metro region a "bad rep" but truth be told, if we're looking at St. Louis City as another municipality of St. Louis County, it does make St. Louis City appear undesirable.

I'm more than willing to agree, that the St. Louis Crime statistics would look considerably better if we were able to include the metro region with those numbers, and if we did, St. Louis wouldn't be on the most dangerous cities list, which would be a huge benefit for the region. However, I'd love to see the crime stats for the rest of the St. Louis metro area, i know you can piece meal it from this site, but some ArcGIS analysis would be fantastic then we could see which municipality is the most dangerous in the region...based on any number of factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
^sounds like a fun read. I'm nearly 100% sure you have encountered this online mapping tool

Poverty by Race, 1980 to 2010

I know the relationship is not causal, but poverty and crime are highly correlated, so I would think you could look at this map for any sizable city and guess with some accuracy where the poverty (and hence, at least to some degree, the crime) has been migrating to/from, and maybe even build this into a real estate pricing model.... far fetched?

love that map...very interesting to see how concentrated South St. Louis was for White Poverty, while North St. Louis had lots of Black Poverty reported...then looking at 2010 White Poverty seems to remain through the metro, while the Black Poverty previously contained to North St. Louis City has spread to South City and North County specifically.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
However, I'd love to see the crime stats for the rest of the St. Louis metro area, i know you can piece meal it from this site, but some ArcGIS analysis would be fantastic then we could see which municipality is the most dangerous in the region...based on any number of factors.
Unfortunately, a whole bunch of cities refuse to release crime reports to anyone, including this site. And that is before you get into the idea of what constitutes dangerous (e.g. do you count a larceny, do you weight murders more, do you count domestic violence, etc.)

Old 11-12-2013, 04:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Video seeks to debunk St. Louis crime rankings : News

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Awesome video!

When I talk to people in chicago who visit St Louis for the first time without ghetto ties, they are shocked at what they see in the city. They expect a war zone and end up having a great time.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:10 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
It's totally subjective and anecdotal, but I think it does a good job of representing a lot of people's experiences in the City, especially transplants.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:37 PM

488 posts, read 857,602 times
I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been covered, but I have this to offer: The reason St. Louis always ranks so high is because the statistics only cover the city proper and not what locals consider St. Louis (which is the city plus the county - mostly the area within the I-270 perimeter if you're looking at a map). So, basically the statistics cover about 1/3 of what is really St. Louis.

North City (about 1/4 of the city) is a cesspool of violence and completely messes with the statistics of the entire area. That area has a problem. A big one. There are a few sketchy areas in South City (as the locals say, stay away from State Streets lol). Otherwise, the rest of the area has no more crime than any other city. The worst problem is car break-ins and car theft.

I've visited cities all over the country and St. Louis is not as good as some, better than others, but no more dangerous than others. I live in the city proper (South City) and it is beautiful, safe, and lots to do. I've never seen violence, been a victim of violence, and no one I hang out with has either. I have had my car broken into and most people I know have too. But I'm pretty sure that's not just a St. Louis problem.

All in all, don't believe the bad hype. It's a pretty decent place.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
I am sure I am not the only CD poster/reader who read this story about our city in the NYT yesterday. As sobering a read as it is, I point it our because the OP asked about what are the "bad" parts of St. Louis. This story pinpoints a couple parts where it sounds like just pulling up and parking in front of a neighborhood market could be like inviting yourself to be riddled with bullets. It's hard to imagine a life where shooting people and being shot yourself is sort of like a rite of passage or just another life event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/us...o9+HbzDD2+t1xg

Old 11-24-2013, 09:29 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I am sure I am not the only CD poster/reader who read this story about our city in the NYT yesterday. As sobering a read as it is, I point it our because the OP asked about what are the "bad" parts of St. Louis. This story pinpoints a couple parts where it sounds like just pulling up and parking in front of a neighborhood market could be like inviting yourself to be riddled with bullets. It's hard to imagine a life where shooting people and being shot yourself is sort of like a rite of passage or just another life event.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/20/us...o9+HbzDD2+t1xg
It's sad, but unfortunately these types of neighborhoods exist in almost every major city.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
Yeah, bull****...this whole city is a cesspool of crap. Shootings daily, damn there are over 150 since June and it's the 2nd of Oct now! I can't believe Colorado got so much coverage over Columbine and Aurora when that's a day in the life of St. Louis. What a **** city this is, I hate it here and now I understand why my friends hated it here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis