Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM

215 posts, read 712,739 times

Advertisements

There has been two or three times in the past when I was almost sure my family and us were going to move to the St. Louis region in the last few years, so this time I am not going to even say that we may be moving, just that is could be a possibility down the road.

We really want to live in the city, there are many neighborhoods that look inviting.

(Disclosure: I grew up in Ste. Genevieve county, and used to travel the city and burbs extensively in the mid to late 90's, but have not lived in Missouri since 2003. I've been itching to move back for many many years now.)

What I want to know is there any neighborhoods that have a decent public school system (doesn't have to be great, just good) not counting the magnet or lottery schools that you may or may not have a chance to get into? I'm talking about the local neighborhood schools you are assigned to.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
The main thing to keep in mind here is that all St. Louis City Public Schools lost their accreditation some years ago. Right now, they only hold a provisional accreditation. Although there are wonderful magnet schools, such as Metro, I wouldn't hold out much hope right now for the rest of the system. A lot of families who choose to move to the city, do so with the understanding that they will probably have to pay for private schools.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
My understanding is there really aren't any good neighborhood schools...which is sad. The good ones are magnet schools.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 PM

320 posts, read 610,882 times
There are options - free, publicly funded options - but you need to get in touch with Mark Groth at St Louis City Talk (his blog). He's been running a series of articles on the subject in his blog, and it's worth your time to read.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM

215 posts, read 712,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
There are options - free, publicly funded options - but you need to get in touch with Mark Groth at St Louis City Talk (his blog). He's been running a series of articles on the subject in his blog, and it's worth your time to read.
I started reading his neighborhood reports a couple of days ago. I will have to check out his posts on the alternative schooling options. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
My understanding is there really aren't any good neighborhood schools...which is sad. The good ones are magnet schools.
That's mainly because there aren't any true "neighborhood schools". Because of the abundance of magnet schools and private schools the good neighborhoods in the city don't send enough of their kids to the neighborhood school. So the neighborhood school has to pull from many other neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis