Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 06:39 PM

536 posts, read 830,177 times

Advertisements

Looks like CWE is going to be receiving a bunch of new security cameras. Very nice.

“We are going to expand our current system of 16 cameras to about 90”

Security Cameras Installed In Central West End | FOX2now.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
This is very welcome news

Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Has CWE gotten that bad? The neighborhood isn't on my relocation list but its a cool place to hang out.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Has CWE gotten that bad? The neighborhood isn't on my relocation list but its a cool place to hang out.
Nope. It's not bad at all, but stuff happens in the CWE from time to time just like any big city neighborhood.

Also the cameras were donated so that's likely why they are going in.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM

188 posts, read 376,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Nope. I watched an outdoor movie with free booze this evening in Maryland Plaza and the place was bustling past 11pm. Felt 200% safe.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM

135 posts, read 280,420 times
I walk in the alley behind my (CWE) apartment everyday to and from work, and I have never felt unsafe. Not even in the back alleys of CWE do I feel unsafe even after the sun has set (at least on my street).

I'm happy about the security cameras, though. More protection, the better!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStLouisan View Post
I walk in the alley behind my (CWE) apartment everyday to and from work, and I have never felt unsafe. Not even in the back alleys of CWE do I feel unsafe even after the sun has set (at least on my street).

I'm happy about the security cameras, though. More protection, the better!
Unfortunately criminals do not operate on a schedule. All of the worst crimes in the CWE last year happened in broad daylight.

First there was the 23 year old girl that was shot to death in CWE for her purse and cell phone in August last year. It was like 2pm in the afternoon.

Then a bit later in the year this other guy started doing strong-arm robberies. He would just walk up to somebody, throw them on the ground, and search them for valuables. Broad daylight.

Fortunately, all of the bad guys in these incidents were caught. But I mean it just goes to show you that even in a great neighborhood like CWE that is safe most of the time, stuff can still happen. It's the same in big cities the world over.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
It's the same in big cities the world over.
I was shocked at how wide spread the "apple pickings" where throughout the world.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
The unfortunate thing about security is it's not guaranteed by cameras...a security camera means the guy breaking into a store now has to wear a mask when he breaks into the store, it doesn't stop him from actually breaking the window...these will be great for solving the crime, unfortunately you're still bleeding out in the ditch well before anyone notices that you didn't arrive at the party, the perp on the other hand will get caught using your credit card and sending text messages from your i-phone a few blocks to the North.

A good friend of mine was chiming in the other day about his car being broken into. He lives in the CWE and had the great "good morning" of finding his window smashed out, glove box ripped from the locks, and general "dismay" in his very nicely upkept Audi. All by some degenerate who doesn't have the decency to go out and get a job and provide for himself/his family. While my friend understands that crime happens, and overall this will only cost him a few $$ towards his insurance deductible, it's the hassle involved with setting up appointments, missing work, getting estimates and the general feeling of violation/victimization that comes from someone else digging through your belongings! He was a bit irate to say the least...He'd also done everything right, by not leaving anything in the car, however the police recommended that he leave the vehicle unlocked to avoid this hassle in the future...sad when the answer is "Well, you should expect people to go through your stuff...you live in the CWE...might as well minimize the damage."

Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
^I sometimes leave my doors unlocked (when parked in the city) for that exact reason. What would really suck would be if someone still smashed your window out even though your doors were unlocked. Hasn't happened yet-- knock on wood - but I have had my windows smashed a couple times when the doors were locked and nothing was in the car worth stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis