Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,499 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I will probably be moving to St. Louis by the end of this summer because of a new job. The workplace is in Clayton and since I don't own a car, I would like to rent an apartment nearby. So, I am thinking.. 1) Clayton 2) Maplewood 3) Richmond Heights 4) Brentwood and my price limit would be somewhere around $1,000 (the lower the better).

I am a mid twenties male working in finance industry and I like to walk around the neighborhood, read at a cozy cafe and go window-shopping. Could you give me a list of merits and demerits of each neighborhood I listed above?

Thanks in advance. Have a wonderful weekend!

Josiah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Without a car you'd be better off living Downtown or the Central West End and taking the MetroLink to work in Clayton (depending on where your work is located). Clayton, Maplewood, and Richmond Heights are all very nice but aren't the most walkable places, especially compared to Downtown and CWE. You might be able to get by in downtown Clayton or the Manchester strip in Maplewood, but that's pushing it.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:03 AM

59 posts, read 80,258 times
I think downtown Clayton is a great walkable area. The problem I think will be price. I did a quick look and it looks well above 1000 for most places. You also might look in U-City, just north of Clayton. The Loop is a great area for hanging out and I think $1000 would be plenty there. It isn't convenient to downtown Clayton by the metro, but the 97 bus takes about 20 minutes, so not bad.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM

240 posts, read 464,891 times
Live IN St. Louis, it's a great City and could use your property tax/sales tax dollars. You have the rest of your life to live in the burbs! :-)

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,069 times
I would look downtown as well. It fits the bill for what you are looking for and there will be plenty of others in your age range to hang out with.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM

50 posts, read 113,199 times
I am also planning a potential move to St. Louis.

Can anyone make comments about various neighborhoods, such as Sunset Hills, Crestwood, Shrewsbury, Concord, Mehlville, and Oakville?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I am also planning a potential move to St. Louis.

Can anyone make comments about various neighborhoods, such as Sunset Hills, Crestwood, Shrewsbury, Concord, Mehlville, and Oakville?
SH, Concord, Mehlville and Oakville are very similar and very close to each other. Typical suburbs with plenty of amenities and good interstate access (270/44/55). The schools are good, crime is low and they are very white so skip them if diversity is what you're looking for. Housing is about the same for all of them but, SH is the most expensive out of the four. I live in Oakville now but, moved from Sunset Hills, you can't go wrong with any of them.

I lumped those four together because they are so much alike and are so close to each other. Shrewbury is a little closer to the city and has more in common with Webster Groves and Kirkwood. Those three are good options as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis