Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 27,505 times

Advertisements

I have recently accepted a job at Lambert Field and was looking for advice from locals. I know the airport is in St. Louis County, however have heard St. Charles County is nice. I am looking for an inexpensive area, but safe. I do not require nightlife or hip areas or anything like that. I would prefer that average commute be under 30 minutes. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:23 PM

I am also looking at about $750-$900 a month as well. I am in my mid 20's moving along with my wife and no children.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 AM

787 posts, read 1,414,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrunner88 View Post
I have recently accepted a job at Lambert Field and was looking for advice from locals. I know the airport is in St. Louis County, however have heard St. Charles County is nice. I am looking for an inexpensive area, but safe. I do not require nightlife or hip areas or anything like that. I would prefer that average commute be under 30 minutes. Thank you.
I suggest you look on the east side of the Missouri river because even though the bridge over I-70 was recently upgraded, the morning and even commutes are challenging. Yes, geographically, St. Chas Co. is relatively close to the STL airport but the commute is tiresome. Any kind of accident or major weather event of course adds delays.

A really nice, family friendly area in STL County is the University Park neighborhood in University City:
Map This neighborhood is fifteen minutes from the airport.

This is *my* neighborhood. It is bordered on the east and west by two lovely parks. The first four streets from south to north are single family houses, the next three streets are mostly duplexes with some four family and six family apartment building mixed in. All of the housing is brick construction. The streets are lined with old growth trees. It's especially pretty in the fall.

This neighborhood is a mix of longtime homeowners in the professions of medicine, law, business, university professors; LOTS of young families with kids; graduate students attending Washington University.

Here are a few of Craig's listings of available rentals in this neighborhood:
Big 2bed/1bath at 7277 Delmar
7026 Amherst (Beautiful 2 bed apt, frplc, hrdwd fls, liv & din rms)
7105 Dartmouth (3 bed, 1 &1/2 bath apt, liv/din combo, hrdwd fls, CA)

Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
When I first moved to the STL area 8 years ago as a single girl in my early 20s, I lived in Maryland Heights and highly recommend it! It's in a wonderful location with easy interstate access (and convenient to the airport, only about 10 minutes), and is relatively quiet yet has everything you need within close proximity. It's definitely 'suburbia' so it's not urban or hip, but I loved living there It's safe and peaceful and sounds like it would be perfect for you, especially since you'll be working at the airport!

You could easily get a nice apartment in Maryland Heights in your price range! If you want, I'll PM you the complex I used to live in- because it really had great management and was well maintained!

Good Luck!

Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Your job is AT Lambert Field, but not employed by Lambert Field itself, right?
Just checking, because Lambert Field employees are considered City of St Louis employees and required to live in the City. They cannot live in St Charles County or St Louis County. I assume you would know this already though, so you must be employed by the airlines or some other private entity that does business at Lambert.
(I know this because I turned down a job opportunity at Lambert because they would not give an exemption to the city residency rule for it.)

Old 09-13-2013, 01:38 PM

I appreciate everyone's help. I am currently looking at the south part of Maryland Heights. I am hired with an airline, not the airport itself.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
You and the wife, I'd look for a rental home in St. Ann. Check Craigslist. The area is safe, immediately south of the airport and would give you a several minute commute to work, while fitting in your price range...$900/month will get you a 2 Bd Room, 1 Ba, brick rental with a basement.

My mortgage is under $1,000 in St. Ann, and affords me a 3 car garage, 1/2 acre lot, and ~1700 SF of living space. There are some aspects that could be better, school district, some amenities, but it's very near to everything with very reasonable cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis