Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM

33 posts, read 51,149 times

Advertisements

Hello guys I am a young professional in my mid 20's single no children and I am thinking about coming to St Louis to start my career. I am a recent college graduate with a bacholer's degree in communications with a concentration of marketing. I have found many fortune 500 companies off of career builder that I find to be effective. But however I still want some input about how the job market is in St Louis for someone in my career field. If I decide to choose St Louis I will come visit it and see what I think about the city. But based upon online I think I like the Central West End Neighborhood and Downtown area. I do not want to spend no more than $1,200 a month on a one bedroom apt if I can. I was also looking at metrolofts apts does anyone know how those are?? where is the best in St Louis to look for a nice woman who is professional?. Anyone input would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM

188 posts, read 374,812 times
Welcome! With $1.2K you should be able to afford a one bedroom just about anywhere you'd like. The only issue is the central west end currently has a severe housing shortage since its so popular so you'll need to start your search early to get a good location but I'd certainly recommend it since there is always a population of young professionals. I've lived here for 5 years since I came to St. Louis in my early 20s and have absolutely loved it. Theres also lots of new development coming and one of the world's best city parks within walking distance. I would also recommend looking at Soulard or Downtown or Tower Grove too. Those areas all have a little more grit to them but also very wonderful locations. Clayton might be good for you too since you'll probably be close to work but you'll be paying a premium for the good public schools in the area, which you won't need quite yet.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,916,804 times
Yes Downtown is a good fit. I would look at the following places that are either located in the Old Post Office District or on Washington Ave. All are generally in the same area and have a strong reputation.

Old Post Office District
Syndicate Lofts
Bell Lofts
315 Lofts
Park Pacific

Washington Ave
Ely Walker Lofts
Vangard Lofts
Ventana Lofts
Bogen Lofts
Fashion Square Lofts
Rudman Lofts
University Lofts

Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,166 times
Have you researched the south side at all? You could really get a lot more for your money and also find more places that wouldn't make you pay to park a car somewhere safe. If you want to stay close to downtown Compton Heights, Fox Park, Lafayette Square, Benton Park, and Soulard are all nice neighborhoods full of apartments with lots of character. These are also neighborhoods full of opportunity for the young single man.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:11 PM

80 posts, read 205,122 times
I know this is a off-topic with no direct answer to OP but it is still related to jobs and neighborhoods in St. Louis.

I am looking at a possible move to St. Louis Metro Area. I got a job offer at Page Ave. in Olivette near Overland. It looks like Northwest St. Louis County on the map.

How would commute be like if going to work from Edwardsville, IL?

Would I be better off if I look into Maryland Heights, Creve Coeur, Chesterfield, Kirkwood, and nearby suburbs?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:37 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,835,709 times
Definitely better off! The worst part of your commute would be crossing the river during rush hour. Traffic often backs up from the East into St. Louis, although the new bridge will probably ease congestion. It would still be a long drive every day though, I would be focusing solely on the MO side.

I've read your other thread and it sounds like you'd be more suited to this side of the river anyhow

Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,970,827 times
I'd recommend all of the locations listed over Edwardsville, IL for convenience sake alone. Anytime you add a river between you and your destination, you risk a more unreliable commute.

Maryland Heights is a nice affordable area.
Creve Coeur is a bit more affluent, and in the Parkway School District if that's important to you.
Chesterfield is definitely suburban and the land of strip malls, can be pricy but once again great schools.
Kirkwood is the most "small town" feeling you'll get, older homes, town square, and an Amtrak station. Kirkwood and Chesterfield would likely have the highest cost of entry.

Depending on your needs for homes, you can find smaller affordable homes in St. Ann and Overland. And if you're trying to make Creve Coeur work, or Parkway Schools on a "shoe-string" budget, you can check out the unincorporated 63146 area code. Also, Olivette can put you in Ladue Schools which are arguably one of the best districts in the region.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM

4 posts, read 7,316 times
St. Louis is NOT a good place for Communications career. Your choices are very limited and competition is very high.
You're better off in a larger city like Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas (really cheap and lots of jobs), and other real cities.

Here are some links for you
St. Louis job market appears to be stalling : Business

Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM

188 posts, read 374,812 times
^^ you're kidding me right? That article was from march and things have changed significantly since then. I can't speak specifically for communication but IT and engineering have plenty of jobs available. Express scripts is adding a thousand jobs over the next few years and boeing is adding at least 400 and even more if we get to build the 777x. Monsanto has announced massive expansions too. Jobs can be competitive because people want to live here...

Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,737,397 times
Chicago is the only "real" city in that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis