U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,792 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to the St Louis area and I can't stop worrying about the tornadoes.
Are they all year round? What's the frequency? Very common for this area?
I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old baby and I'm very afraid to one day be alone with them when a tornado hit.
We currently live in NJ and I can't decide if we should move to the St Louis area. The tornado problem is a big deal to me and is weighting a lot on my decision.
Please, any help would be great. I've never been in that area!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM

10,061 posts, read 18,070,776 times
Well I've lived in and out of StL for years and MO all my life and I've never actually seen one. I've been to the basement plenty of times though and there is my recommendation for you--if you move to StL get a house with a basement and there are many to choose from.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 AM

2,569 posts, read 2,427,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomas View Post
My husband may be transferred to the St Louis area and I can't stop worrying about the tornadoes.
Are they all year round? What's the frequency? Very common for this area?
I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old baby and I'm very afraid to one day be alone with them when a tornado hit.
We currently live in NJ and I can't decide if we should move to the St Louis area. The tornado problem is a big deal to me and is weighting a lot on my decision.
Please, any help would be great. I've never been in that area!
Thanks!
This might help you:
St. Louis tornado history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They do happen in St. Louis, along with the other Plains and Midwestern cities, but it's not like St. Louis is terrorized by them every year like a city that's in a hurricane area. You'll have a lot of tornado watches/warnings during the spring and summer, but typically not much happens. When the tornadoes do happen they usually cause a bit of damage and that's it. St. Louis has had massive tornadoes in the past that have caused high levels of damage and killed many people, but they aren't common.

Hurricane Sandy actually killed more people and caused more damage in New Jersey than what any tornado has done in the St. Louis area in the last 20 years.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Live in a house with a basement, have proper insurance, teach your kids what to do in case of a tornado, and then don't worry so much. There are things you likely do on a daily basis that are more dangerous and threatening than a tornado. Like driving a car. It's all about perspective.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,035,337 times
Think of it this way....
In the last 14 years, St Louis City and County have been hit by two F3s and and F4. There was one fatality, which was a woman who was driving a car that was blown off a ramp at a shopping mall. No serious injuries, and only a handful of minor injuries.

You get a weather alert radio for inside your house. Outside, the city and county are blanketed by tornado sirens. You get a WEA capable mobile phone which will receive messages direct from the national weather service. You subscribe to Nixle and you follow @CityEMA and @STLCOOEM on twitter and St Louis County Emergency Management on Facebook and Google+. Use all of these resources to avoid being caught outside when a tornado threatens. Make a plan for what you will do in your home and what you will do at places you common visit.
And don't live in a mobile home or ever be caught in one during a tornado.

All of this preparedness will greatly reduce the odds of even being injured by a tornado to the point where just your day to day life is far more dangerous.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,381,061 times
They do happen, but it's not like Oklahoma or anything. And most houses here (even new ones) have basements. This is totally not scientific or anything, but it seems like whenever there are tornadoes they always hit St. Charles County, North St. Louis County, and the Illinois side. The whole west/northwest part of our metro area is like our local tornado alley, so maybe try to avoid that area.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Dawn10am is correct that certain areas in St. Louis seem to be more prone to tornado paths than others. With that said though, I really wouldn't have an issue about moving here because your chance of getting injured in a tornado in St. Louis is less than the chance you've got of getting into a car accident.

I have a 5 month old and another one on the way, and I'm not concerned at all. We have a battery operated radio in the basement for weather updates, and I keep water and snacks down there in tornado season (Spring). I can hear the tornado sirens from inside my house, so just make sure you've got a routine to get you and the kids and any pets down to the basement, should the sirens sound.

You'll be just fine! Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,041 times
I'm originally from upstate New York and have been in STL since 1991. All of the previous advice is great, especially what Dawn said:

" They do happen, but it's not like Oklahoma or anything. And most houses here (even new ones) have basements. This is totally not scientific or anything, but it seems like whenever there are tornadoes they always hit St. Charles County, North St. Louis County, and the Illinois side. The whole west/northwest part of our metro area is like our local tornado alley, so maybe try to avoid that area."

A basement is a must have. If you can get an older construction brick house, closer in to the city of STL, is even better. There's lots of new construction in St. Charles County but the quality of construction varies wildly. Nothing beats an old brick house with a basement when those sirens start blowing. Just my $.02.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,035,337 times
Tornado paths 1950-2011 (along with width, severity, and number of injuries and fatalities).
http://stlcooem.maps.arcgis.com/home...2531bfa549340b

Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM

26,222 posts, read 16,892,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
They do happen, but it's not like Oklahoma or anything. And most houses here (even new ones) have basements. This is totally not scientific or anything, but it seems like whenever there are tornadoes they always hit St. Charles County, North St. Louis County, and the Illinois side. The whole west/northwest part of our metro area is like our local tornado alley, so maybe try to avoid that area.
This is true. There was a smallish tornado that struck in S. St. Louis County a few years ago, but mostly they hit in the north county or St. Charles area. They can then hop over to Ill. Move to the west and or south to avoid tornado alley which is basically I-70.

And, believe me, you will know if there is a tornado warning. New sirens are very noticeable. Just go to the basement or inside a bathroom till the warning is over.

I lived in St. Louis from the late 1940s until last year, and I have never experienced one myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or