Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times

Advertisements

In and around StL we have a plethera of great hiking spots. Here is a pretty comprehensive list curtousy of Bprob @ urbanstl. For the original thread with links click here http://urbanstl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8283&p=181296&hilit=hikes#p18 1296 (broken link)

Quote:
Weekends in fall mean one thing for me - hiking. Here's a list of my favorites (and some less favorites) in the area. I look for seclusion if possible; I'd like at least a chance of not encountering anybody for a few miles if not more. 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles is a great resource and most of these are probably in there anyway.

Al Foster Trail - a little confusing but this is really a segment of the Meramec Greenway -- and future part of the Ozark Trail -- augmented by an additional loop (Stinging Nettle Loop) plus an optional trail, the Cedar Bluff trail. And all are part of Castlewood SP even though they can't be reached from Castlewood SP. But a relatively peaceful, flat walk from the Sherman Beach Trailhead, along the Meramec River, and skirting some tall bluffs.

Babler State Park - four trails, none more than a couple miles. Favorite is the short (and not as crowded) Hawthorn trail, which circles around a ridge. The different exposures on each side make for completely different flora. Has a great overlook for a picnic lunch.

(Louis A.) Bangert Memorial Wildlife Area - just south of I-70 on the St. Charles side of the Missouri, this "island" (ironically, not accessible when it really IS an island) has some deep, tangled woods and nice views back to the St. Louis side of the river and Harrah's. Very flat and easy trails can be combined into one large loop of about five miles.

Castlewood State Park - of course. Crowded but offers incredible views and an interesting history.

Cliff Cave County Park - some really nice, deep woodsy-feeling trails (at least until you hit the backyards of vinyl houses)

Columbia Bottoms Conservation Area - great for winter hiking due to the exposures. Lots of interpretive areas, and the confluence lookout point rivals the Hartford Tower. You can often see lots of civilization in the distance but can't hear it at all.

Creve Coeur Lake County Park - not among my favorites but still some decent trails.

Emmenegger Nature Park - across I-270 from Powder Valley - as long as you don't expect to be isolated in the woods, it's very pretty and has dramatic overlooks of Valley Park and the Chrysler Plant. Some nice big flat rocks on the bluffs are perfect for picnicking.

Engelmann Woods Nature Area - an absolute gem located in Wildwood. Lots of wildlife and enormous trees.

Forest 44 Conservation Area - very close, but the I-44 highway noise is always there.

Fults Hill Prairie Nature Preserve - a climb up 200+ steep steps, followed by another steep ascent and a pleasant walk along a wooded ridge bring you to the hillside prairie and sheer bluffs overlooking the farmland below. Really expansive views and a great place to picnic.

Greensfelder County Park - probably one of the most wild areas in StL County, but also crowded, and most trails allow horses, so you're dodging horse doo much of the time.

Hawn State Park - the gold standard of hikes in Eastern MO. The northern loop of Whispering Pines Trail has Pickle Creek and the shut-in formations, but the southern loop is less crowded (because you either have to take the N loop or the connector trail to get there) but is my favorite. The S loop spur trail at the halfway point, leading to the dripping, weeping, moss-covered bluff is the best part of the trail for me.

Hickory Springs Conservation Area - I don't even like putting this one on here because it's so untrafficked. But the short trail's box canyon is one of the most serene places I've ever been. I could sit there for hours.

Howell Island Conservation Area - in the middle of the MO river - you have to cross Centaur Chute only when the river is low enough. It's been too high for months, so I hope to go again soon. Nothing spectacular but it is unique.

Klondike Park - one of a string of parks, trails, and conservation areas along Hwy 94, Klondike has several trails. The most rugged are the series of biking/hiking trails in the back of the park, some with expansive valley views.

Lewis and Clark Trails (Weldon Spring Conservation Area) - incredibly, something right near I-64 in St. Charles County can be wild and isolated. Once you get past the folks walking to and from the first overlook, you have miles of trail and wildlife to yourself. Stunning overlooks and some nice picnic sites.

Little Grand Canyon - deep, steep climbing (but only for a short distance) gets you into the canyon, and you climb out at another point. Really unique place in what is otherwise gently rolling farmland.

Lone Elk County Park - you never really get away from civilization but it's still a nice walk and you're almost guaranteed to see elk and usually deer and often turkey.

Mastodon State Historic Site - again not among my favorites, but a quick getaway not far from South County.

Meramec Conservation Area - adjacent to Meramec State Park; very deep Ozark-y woods. Quite a bit of wildlife depending on which trail you hike.

Meramec State Park - A mixture of short and long trails. The Wilderness Trail is excellent.

Pere Marquette State Park - some pretty wild trails and dramatic views as always on this part of the river.

Pickle Springs Conservation Area - so much craziness in just a couple miles. It's not a secret, so go early, early morning, or during the week if you can. Or wait until Winter.

Piney Creek Ravine Nature Preserve - spectacular sandstone canyons, creek beds, and bluffs on a terrific two-mile hike. You park next to a farmer's field and walk along it to get to this incredible place. One large wall abounds with Native American rock art (and graffiti).

Powder Valley Conservation Area - not so much for the hikes, but because of all the information they have about the other areas.

Queeny Park - although it barely qualifies as a "hike," the park is nevertheless an escape very close to the metro area. Several trails interconnect so you can customize one from less than a mile to over four miles.

Rockwoods Reservation - some pretty hikes. Fairly crowded, and a fair amount of noise from the surrounding suburbs.

Route 66 State Park - trails are nothing spectacular, but it teems with deer and other wildlife. The museum and visitor center on the other side of the river is pretty cool.

St. Francois State Park - some nice trails relatively close to St. Louis. The Mooner's Hollow Trail passes numerous waterfalls and shut-ins formations, while the Pike Run trail is a long and secluded, although it is a popular equestrian trail.

Salt Lick Point Trail - an interesting trail with interpretive stops near Valmeyer IL. Emerge near the Rock Park office complex, a former limestone quarry turned into massive warehouse and office space, government archives, and former Cold War bunker.

Shaw Nature Preserve - crowded but a number of decent trails

Silver Lake Trail - in Highland IL, this is a very easy trail along Silver Lake. Close to highway noise at its northern end.

Valley View Glades Conservation Area - this is a great cool weather hike because of frequent exposed areas in glades surrounding a relatively shallow valley. Lots of places to sit down and sun on the rocks.

Washington State Park - another one where you don't usually get away from civilization (unless you take the lesser-used loop of the Rockywood Trail) but some interesting Civilian Conservation Corps structures on the 1,000 steps trail.

West Tyson County Park - for its trailhead on the Chubb Trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:26 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Thanks for posting, good to know

Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Any CD posters able to cull down the list above for me? I'd like to find a decent hiking area within two hours drive. Interested in scenery mostly, but exercise is a strong secondary purpose.... 3 miles or more, moderately challenging terrain okay.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 AM

Sounds like the Weldon Springs Conservation area Lewis and Clark trails are a pretty good bet. I'm going to try to make it out there this weekend. Love this cooler weather.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Moorlander, that is a marvelous list and the little comments of personal reactions to each are most helpful. Missouri Department of Conservation and their Missouri Conservationist magazine could use you.

By the way, everyone, did you know that, if you live in Missouri, you can subscribe to Missouri Conservationist for free? Even out-of-state subscribers will find the cost surprisingly inexpensive. MC is a wonderful source for any outdoorsman - or occasional outdoorsman. You can't name any outdoor activity that it doesn't cover at one time or another, plus it keeps us up to date on how Missouri is saving its natural treasures and how we can participate. Even the cities - their parks, tree-scapes, animal life - get covered now and then

No, I do not work for Missouri Conservationist? I just enjoy their magazine so very much. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:44 AM

Thanks Hazel. The Clark trail was nice. Magnificent views of the river from above on the bluffs. But it was pretty mild in terms of exercise, no real hills or rugged terrain to speak of. People were jogging it, some walking their dogs, and it was pretty crowded. I am going to have to make the trip down to the southeastern quadrant of the state to check out some of the more advanced, less beaten paths. The Tom Sauk portion of the Ozark trail sounds like a nice next step.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 AM

The view from Tom Sauk is breath-taking. There is a (hill? mountain?) somewhere down in that area where people carry rocks down from the top and others carry them back up. All done in fun and surely adds to the hiking experience. What I didn't know until recently is that we have the leavings of a very ancient volcano down in that part of the state.

For a simple, calm view of the river, Kimmswick is nice but it is not for hiking which you want. The Clarksville view is too busy and too noisy but they say you can enjoy a raft of eagles up there in January. I've never seen that.

Missouri is just one very beautiful state, in my opinion, and except for a few areas, not yet over-burdened with tourist traps. Nothing sends me into hiding faster than a tourist trap. You?

Good hiking.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM

529 posts, read 1,009,046 times
Thanks for the list moorlander.

I have a couple to add:

Bee Tree Park in far south STL county is similar to Cliff Cave in that you have some wooded trails that feel more secluded than they are

Council Bluff Lake Trail is about 2hrs from most STL locales and surronds Council Bluff Lake. The trail is about 12 miles long and is perfect for mountain bikes.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM

68 posts, read 119,331 times
What about adding Elephant Rocks to the list.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeleyKid View Post
What about adding Elephant Rocks to the list.
Right. Also Dinosaur Park. Both out of the county but a nice drive south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis