U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 22,212 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm Leena, 24 and I'm moving from Paris to Saint Louis next month for professional purposes. This is quite a big deal and step for me as I have never been to the US and obviously life in the US is going to be different from life here in France. Paris is a cosmopolitan city where people from different nationalities and faiths live together. I'm keeping an opened mind as to what to expect once in America and more particularly in Saint Louis, I've known many Americans here and they have all been wonderful. Yet, I can't help but wonder about the type of welcome I will meet. My question is, are the STL locals familiar with having people of different faiths? In all honesty, am I going to be discrimitated against?
Thanks!

P.S. Um, I don't cover my head...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 12:59 PM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
I don't think you'll have issues here in the US or in St. Louis, you have to remember, that even to a greater degree than Europe, the US is a nation made up of people from very different and unique backgrounds. Now, this doesn't mean you won't find some idiot every now and again, and that doesn't mean you'll never be a victim of discrimination, but that's really nothing that anyone at any point in time won't go through.

It'll be a major difference coming from Paris to St. Louis, we'll feel like a sleepy town compared to Paris...and please, don't bring Parisian driving practices here When visiting your city I was appalled at how people parked their cars (i.e. back up until you hit the car behind you, then pull forward an inch or two). The first time I saw a new Audi TT initially bump into someone else, I was taken aback...this compared to Germany where folks used their parking sensors to get within an inch of your car, and then zoom off, but they never made contact.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,475,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeenaAli View Post
Hi everyone. I'm Leena, 24 and I'm moving from Paris to Saint Louis next month for professional purposes. This is quite a big deal and step for me as I have never been to the US and obviously life in the US is going to be different from life here in France. Paris is a cosmopolitan city where people from different nationalities and faiths live together. I'm keeping an opened mind as to what to expect once in America and more particularly in Saint Louis, I've known many Americans here and they have all been wonderful. Yet, I can't help but wonder about the type of welcome I will meet. My question is, are the STL locals familiar with having people of different faiths? In all honesty, am I going to be discrimitated against?
Thanks!

P.S. Um, I don't cover my head...
i don't think you will be discriminated against- but you'll want to try and meet people where you live or work- there tend to be a fair amount of "cliques" in St. Louis- especially if you're not from the area. I've been here almost 2.5 years and have had a hard time making new friends, but i'm not the most outgoing person either.

There are a lot of different races and nationalities here- but less so than places like New York or San Francisco. What are you coming to St. Louis to do?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 AM

15 posts, read 22,212 times
@Flynavyj Thank you. America is indeed made of people from different nationalities and religions but in some areas more than others. Hopefully, everything will be ok in Missouri and won't have to experience such a thing.
As to the Parisian driving practice, you're right on! I'm not going to defend Paris. Parisians are the worst drivers ever compared to other French cities.
@jribe Thanks, well I like to go out and meet people, any St Louisan bars worth trying? And I'll be teaching French.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM

359 posts, read 526,695 times
Was at West County mall on Saturday saw quite a few South Asian women wearing head scarfs - seemed like they were enjoying themselves

there is an east African community in south city where the women wear scarfs all the time

You should not have any problems, Hope you like it here!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,886 times
You shouldn't have problems. Majority of people in St. Louis are kind and nice although don't be surprised to run into some racist ignorants. They exist everywhere even in France.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,349 times
Most American people are open minded and that's what makes this country great. Your going to meet people that discriminate against you any country you go but I look at it as an opportunity to enlighten someone on my beliefs. It should work to your benefit most of the time and i'm not saying you should preach your faith to everyone you meet (or maybe you should if it makes you happy). Asking someone, "Can you explain to me why you feel that way?." when a rude remark is made towards you is a great first impression of who you are. Since your beliefs constitute "who you are" it may even give them a chance to change the way they think. Didn't mean to get philosophical - i'm just trying to make this world a better place.

So to answer your question, yes the citizens of St. Louis are used to people of other faiths and to be "honest" you might get discriminated but it will most likely be passive and non-confrontational. Hence, giving you the chance to reply with that exotic Parisian accent of yours some words of wisdom.

You should definitely try Vin De Set on Chouteau Ave. Wonderful french bistro with a rooftop bar in downtown St. Louis, might even cure some of your homesickness. Enjoy the city. Bonne chance à vous.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Vin De Set really is lovely, I haven't been there in years! Good suggestion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis