Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,393 times

Advertisements

I am German and looking for some foreign food stores here in St. Louis. I have been to world market and its okay. I am looking for more European foods and I'm only saying that because I've seen some Chinese, Indian, Middle eastern markets/stores but not European. My mom said she seen a commercial for one but didnt catch the name and hasnt seen it again. Does anyone know of any? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM

351 posts, read 649,468 times
I'm surprised nobody has suggested this one yet:

Global Foods in Kirkwood

Global Foods Market, Best Internatioinal-Ethnic-Specialty Grocery Store in St. Louis - Home

It's exactly what you're looking for.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 AM

466 posts, read 1,061,950 times
I went to the Global Foods in Kirkwood and they do have some German products, but not to many. The bread they have is very, very expensive, like half a pound over 5 dollars. No quark or aufschnitt. It is an interesting shop though.
Oh, yeah I am German too.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I am German and looking for some foreign food stores here in St. Louis. I have been to world market and its okay. I am looking for more European foods and I'm only saying that because I've seen some Chinese, Indian, Middle eastern markets/stores but not European. My mom said she seen a commercial for one but didnt catch the name and hasnt seen it again. Does anyone know of any? Thank you.
Oh, I forgot earlier to tell you, there is Jay International Food Co. on Grand Blvd., and I found Quark, Rollmoepse, Bismarckhering, Gruen- und Rotkohl im Glass, and it wasn't that expensive either. The Quark was 3 dollars something, about 2 dollars cheaper than in the German shop I went to in Portland, OR. I just can't find German bread, Aldi has Schwarzbrot, but that is all. I want Roggenbrot!!!! LOL I guess I have to get a breadmaker and get breadmix from germandeli.com.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
Oh, I forgot earlier to tell you, there is Jay International Food Co. on Grand Blvd., and I found Quark, Rollmoepse, Bismarckhering, Gruen- und Rotkohl im Glass, and it wasn't that expensive either. The Quark was 3 dollars something, about 2 dollars cheaper than in the German shop I went to in Portland, OR. I just can't find German bread, Aldi has Schwarzbrot, but that is all. I want Roggenbrot!!!! LOL I guess I have to get a breadmaker and get breadmix from germandeli.com.
There USED to be a German specialty store on S. Grand Ave. across from Jay's International Food. However, it closed down a few years ago. Honestly, I always wondered how it could remain in business as teh place never seemed to have any customers.

A place that MIGHT have what the OP is looking for is a small supermarket chain called Straub's Fine Groceries. That have a lot of good international items.

Also, during the fall months, Aldi markets generally carry a few German imports including wine and chocolates.

The problem with finding German specialties in St. Louis, Cincinnati, or Milwaukee is that there are very few RECENT German immigrants so there is less demand for the products. The old German merchants have largely died off.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,558,321 times
For German breads, try Federhofer's Bakery, 9005 Gravois in Affton.
Lubeley's Bakery and Deli, 7815 Watson, is another suggestion.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There USED to be a German specialty store on S. Grand Ave. across from Jay's International Food. However, it closed down a few years ago. Honestly, I always wondered how it could remain in business as teh place never seemed to have any customers.

A place that MIGHT have what the OP is looking for is a small supermarket chain called Straub's Fine Groceries. That have a lot of good international items.

Also, during the fall months, Aldi markets generally carry a few German imports including wine and chocolates.

The problem with finding German specialties in St. Louis, Cincinnati, or Milwaukee is that there are very few RECENT German immigrants so there is less demand for the products. The old German merchants have largely died off.
I went to Straub's today, nice shop, but quite expensive. I looked for Greek style yoghurt and I paid $4.99 for it. I couldn't find any Greek yoghurt that wasn't fat free, how can people it fat free products. Yikes (LOL).
Anyway, I don't think it has anything to do with RECENT German immigrants, I don't think a lot are coming to the US anymore anyway, but how many people have been to Germany (especially stationed there as military) and love the food.
Oh, well, I can't change it, but I am still looking.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,107 times
Default Online European Foods

While not as convenient as going to a local market, these online German and European sausage shops are a good source. I can vouch for several items at the Bavaria Sausage Haus in Fitchburg, WI, just south of Madison, WI. I have had both the Westphalian and Black Forest Ham they make. It compares reasonably to that I have had in the State of Westphalia in Germany. Also, they have Brotchen that is par-baked. It is reasonably priced. You just bake it and it is as good as fresh from the oven. They import the Brotchen from Germany. They cure and smoke their own meats and sausages. Try them online at [url=http://bavariasausage.com/]Bavaria Sausage : Home Page[/url]

I have not been there, but my best friend and his wife have been to Stiglmeier's in Chicago and say it is excellent. I have purchased their Westphalian and Black Forest Hams through German Specialty stores in Milwaukee and will attest to the high quality and excellent taste of it. You can find them online at [url=http://www.stiglmeier.com/]Stiglmeier Sausage Co. Inc.[/url]

Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
One year, long ago, we had a man from Germany as a Christmas dinner guest. He arrived with a most delicious Christmas stollen bread that he had made. I have never found one like it in any shop. I even tried to imitate it myself but I am a terrible cook. Oh, I wish I had another of that man's genuine stollen.

As for local foreign food marts, I have been to two and both were mainly Asiatic. What surprised me most was that the British selections were so meager. Perhaps other European countries were the same but I was specifically looking for some foods from UK.

Good luck.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
I went to Straub's today, nice shop, but quite expensive. I looked for Greek style yoghurt and I paid $4.99 for it. I couldn't find any Greek yoghurt that wasn't fat free, how can people it fat free products. Yikes (LOL).
Anyway, I don't think it has anything to do with RECENT German immigrants, I don't think a lot are coming to the US anymore anyway, but how many people have been to Germany (especially stationed there as military) and love the food.
Oh, well, I can't change it, but I am still looking.
We used to go to a German restaurant. Real German food; real German music; real German atmosphere. I wonder if there are any such in St Louis. I am so tired of pasta-this and pasta-that along with all the Asian foods that I do not care for at all. Even finding an American food restaurant is a challenge. Fast food is our game now.

I think I'll go German food searching. Thanks for the thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis