U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 PM

26,222 posts, read 16,892,951 times

Advertisements

World class things are the St. Louis Symphony and the MO. Botanical Garden.

And, the St.Louis Art Museum has just completed renovation and expansion, and so much more of the collection should be out. So, I would go there. Not to be missed are the Impressionists. And the American art as well. And if the old interiors are reinstalled I always found them interesting as well. And maybe they have reinstalled the Normandy street. All interesting stuff.

If the weather is foul, then skip the Botanical Garden, but do have lunch on the Hill nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
World class things are the St. Louis Symphony and the MO. Botanical Garden.

And, the St.Louis Art Museum has just completed renovation and expansion, and so much more of the collection should be out. So, I would go there. Not to be missed are the Impressionists. And the American art as well. And if the old interiors are reinstalled I always found them interesting as well. And maybe they have reinstalled the Normandy street. All interesting stuff.

If the weather is foul, then skip the Botanical Garden, but do have lunch on the Hill nearby.

The St. Louis Symphony's next concert is the weekend of January 10-11-12. They just got through with their holiday and New Years Eve concerts and are enjoying a well deserved week of vacation.

(Yes, I work at the SLSO as one of the support staff.)

Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
OP: Make sure you come back and tell us how you enjoyed St. Louis! Sorry our weather has been pretty cold and miserable this week, but at least the snow is pretty, right!

Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 AM

80 posts, read 162,087 times
Hello, I have been back from St. Louis since January 7th. I had a great time exploring the city!

During my visit, I went to the following places:

On the way, I visited New Madrid Earthquake and Historic Ste. Genevieve.

Top of the Gateway Arch/Western Expansion Museum

Saw the Old Courthouse from where I stood under the Arch

Old Spaghetti Factory on 1st Street

Busch Stadium & Cardinals Store (The store was oddly closed on that day.)

St. Louis Art Museum

Driving around Lafayette Square, The Hill, Forest Park, Central West End on Euclid Ave., Washington Ave. Loft District, & Delmar Loop

Campus Tour of Washington University

Ted's Frozen Custard & Imo's Pizza in Affton

The Mizzou Store in Chesterfield near my hotel

Historic St. Charles

During my last night/morning in Missouri, all the snow was beautiful. Of course, I left on that morning before it was supposed to get worse.

The roads were pretty bad until I arrived in the Bootheel around Sikeston.

I enjoyed my trip!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Glad you enjoyed it here and had a nice trip! Will you still be relocating here?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Glad you enjoyed it here and had a nice trip! Will you still be relocating here?
Yes, I will be relocating to St. Louis.

If you happen to have any suggestion on affordable townhouses, I am interested. During my time in St. Louis, I did find one in Arnold. Arnold isn't bad but I would like to be closer to the city if possible.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM

189 posts, read 319,524 times
Welcome!

Some of us might be able to help you if you give some more info on what you're looking for. What price range? Need for public schools? Need for closeness to public transit? Where would you be working?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM

333 posts, read 340,696 times
One thing everyone should do when they are in St. Louis is visit the Hill. It's an old Italian neighborhood with a lot of amazing restaurants and small tidbits of history. Here is something a lot of people don't know, but Yogi Berra who is a Yankees Hall of Famer grew up in the Hill. Also it's one of the few old neighborhoods that has remain to be in good shape and safe, and it's neat walking around seeing a lot of old houses from the early 20th century.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

333 posts, read 340,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Born and Bred View Post
Yes, I will be relocating to St. Louis.

If you happen to have any suggestion on affordable townhouses, I am interested. During my time in St. Louis, I did find one in Arnold. Arnold isn't bad but I would like to be closer to the city if possible.
Unfortunately most areas close to the city aren't good. Things have improved since the 1990s, but the only areas close to the city that are good is Soulard, Clayton, and parts of Washington Street. Now I do believe some areas south of St Louis on I-55 are still in good shape. I haven't lived in that part of St Louis, but I have friends living in that area.

I love St Louis, but sadly it's a true commuter city. Most of the people who work downtown come in from the suburbs off the I-270 corridor like Chesterfield, Fenton, and so forth.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
Welcome!

Some of us might be able to help you if you give some more info on what you're looking for. What price range? Need for public schools? Need for closeness to public transit? Where would you be working?
Happy Monday! It's a day off for most of us.

My limit for monthly rent would be $900.00 for a townhouse or a duplex. I am tired of small apartments so I want a bigger place. I have thought about a rental house but I dislike the idea of having extra utilities (gas and water/waste).

Coming from Mississippi, I have no experience with public transit but I have a relatively new car. If I have to, I don't mind commuting as long it's less than 30 minutes.

I will be working at Oakland Ave. near St. Louis Community College-Forest Park.

Public schools aren't important since I am single with no children.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or