Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:14 PM

80 posts, read 206,248 times

Advertisements

Happy New Year's Eve!

To inform you, I will be visiting St. Louis very soon on January 2-7, 2014. I will be checking the metro area out to get the feeling since I am considering a move there.

What are the Must-See Destinations in St. Louis? I know I will be pretty limited due to the cold weather.

Here are some that I know about:

Gateway Arch
Old Courthouse
MS River Cruise
Busch Stadium

What about Ballpark Village? Is it completed yet?

Forest Park (heard about paddle boats-I enjoy doing it)

St. Louis Zoo (probably not this time because I doubt that the animals will be outside for people to see during the cold)

Frank Lloyd Wright's House on Old Ballas Road in Fenton

Maybe University City?

Imo's Pizza for St. Louis Style Pizza

On the way to St. Louis from Mississippi, I will definitely check out historic towns of New Madrid and Ste. Genevieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Ballpark Village isn't completed yet

I'm not sure what your interests / hobbies are but to add to your list, I would put:

Missouri History Museum
St. Louis Art Museum
The Delmar Loop in University City
Union Station's Grand Hall
Forest Park (although it's much better and nicer in Summer)
City Museum (more fun if you're with friends or kids though)
Soulard Farmer's Market (oldest west of the Mississippi)
Historic St. Charles
Botanical Gardens ( not the best time of year for that again)

Also check out Ted Drewes frozen custard, and get some Toasted Ravioli somewhere on The Hill!

Have fun!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 PM

Also, I doubt you'll have time but if you're into wine, there are some quaint towns just outside St. Louis such as Hermann which is in Missouri Wine Country. Way back in the day, Missouri was one of the top producers of wine in the country.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM

188 posts, read 376,126 times
I'd also add in addition to what has been written above:

This is the list of things I take friends and family from out of town to do:

Must See:

The Arch - Its the symbol of the city

Old Courthouse - Easily accessible from the arch. Tons of history

The Zoo - 3rd largest zoo in the country. Absolutely amazing

Cathedral Basilica - the inside has the largest mosaic collection in the world, even if you're not religious, its absolutely amazing

Cohokia - Earthen mounds and pyramids marking the site of the largest native american city in north america. ok, I admit that its not 100% flashy and exciting as a major tourist site but if you can go, you can definitely feel the energy of this place. Just like Stonehenge isn't flashy but supremely important. In fact, its probably the closest America has to something like a Stonehenge

City Museum - like a playground for adults (and kids!)

Art Museum - one of the best collections in the midwest, if not the world. New Modern Wing is cool

Botanical Gardens - one of the best in the world.

Washington University in St. Louis - one of the best universities in the world, and one of the most cohesive and beautiful campuses in america. Collegiate gothic architecture but built with pink stone.

Commercial Areas to Visit:
Soulard (must see farmer's market)
Central West End
The Loop
Wash Ave
Lafayette Square
Clayton

I try to schedule one meal at each of those locations so visitors can get a taste of the different areas too.

Other Minor Things:

I usually take people to see City Garden as part of the downtown activities. Its just a really pleasant place to hang out and have a small picnic in the middle of the city. I also usually take them to see the city library too. It is newly renovated and amazing on the inside.

I try to do a Cardinals related thing if possible. Its not always possible but its fun to see the stadium too.

Union Station is great. Its under renovation right now though.

If they are classy, I try to do something at either the Fox (musicals), the Muny or Shakespeare at the Park (summer only), or the symphony.

If there are kids, the Science Center is a must, as is City Museum. Grant's Farm is also awesome if they like animals.

If they like history, then Museum of Transportation and Missouri Civil War Museum.

Lumiere sculpture park is far out in the county near the Museum of Transportation so I usually take folks for a walk there too.

If there is still time after all this for day trips:
Winery Trips (Herman)
Meramec Caverns (Sullivan)
Cave/Mine Kayaking (Festus)
Exploring the Bluffs of the Mississippi and Taking Car Ferries Around (Alton, Pere Marquete, Golden Eagle)

Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 PM

59 posts, read 80,204 times
If you are interested in architecture (or music or theater), the Fox Theater has tours on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. You get to go all over the theater, including backstage if there isn't a show. On Saturdays, it also includes a short organ concert, usually in the lobby.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Must sees:

City Museum
Arch
Delmar Loop
Forest Park (Art Museum + Art Hill)
Euclid Ave. in the CWE

Could sees:

The Hill (old school Italian neighborhood)
Washington Ave. loft district
Lafayette Square
Busch Stadium
City Garden
Missouri History Museum

Save for when you live here:

Soulard Market (much better in warmer weather)
Zoo
Show at the Fox
Laumiere Sculpture Park
Science Center
Union Station
Basilica
Old Courthouse
Missouri Botanical Garden

Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM

320 posts, read 610,631 times
The South Grand strip and Tower Grove Park, arts and bars on Cherokee Street, CAM, Urban Chestnut, AB brewery tour, The Mildred Kemper (and Wash U campus in general as mentioned above), the romanesque houses on Westmoreland and numerous other private streets in CWE and S-D, Compton Reservoir park, the standpipes on north Grand, the music clubs in the Grove, the Wainwright building, the Moolah, Ittner schools such as Roosevelt, residential districts in Clayton/RH/U-City between Delmar and 64. The Hi-Pointe. Feasting Fox and the Bevo Mill. Carondelet Park.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM

80 posts, read 206,248 times
Thank you for all the suggestions above!

I happen to have a final question before I leave for St. Louis tomorrow morning.

Does Busch Stadium have sports store inside like most college football stadiums do? I would love to buy some Cardinals stuff. I have been a fan my entire life but never actually stand next to the stadium before.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:13 PM

They have a Cardinals Clubhouse store at the Galleria Mall I'm not sure about in the stadium?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,356 times
they do have a store at the stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis