U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 20,282 times

Advertisements

This is great information, I hope I get the job!

Does anyone know if there is a specific neighborhood that is Greek? Greek churches, festivals, restaurants, etc. Similar areas for Jewish temples/restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:10 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,034,285 times
I think the area around St Nicholas in the Central West End is predominantly Greek. They certain have a massive Greek festival every year that is very popular. Welcome to St. Nicholas Greek Festival 2013 | St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church

University City has a large Jewish population in the west end of the city with multiple temples and schools that I think date backs to just after World War II. It is considered one of the top Jewish communities in the country because of the concentration of cultural and religious institutions. There are also temples dotting the central/west corridor of the county between I-64 and Ladue Rd (Creve Coeur, Ladue, Chesterfield, Town & Country). Not as familiar with the Jewish population in St Louis itself, but I know that it is one of the largest in the US.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 969 times
I actually was in a similar situation a few years ago. I had never been to STL and was given about 3 weeks to move. I landed a gem of a spot last minute and it is actually up for rent again! Check it out if you get a chance. The sizing was a little over 1,200sqft and it had a great screened in balcony and a garage. Just a suggestion. You would literally be about 1-2 miles from work.

[url=http://postlets.com/r/7307-delmar-blvd-saint-louis-mo-63130/10480518]7307 Delmar Blvd, Saint Louis, MO - For Rent - Powered by Postlets[/url]

Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,783 times
In addition to the Greek Festivals you should check out the near south side neighborhoods. Settled by southeastern Europeans there are Serbian, Croatian and Czech churches and festivals in the warmer months.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM

446 posts, read 417,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maideneer View Post
This is great information, I hope I get the job!

Does anyone know if there is a specific neighborhood that is Greek? Greek churches, festivals, restaurants, etc. Similar areas for Jewish temples/restaurants?
Wasn't there a huge Greek Church (St. Nicholas, I think) off of Southern side of 64/40 going east before you hit 270, and I guess there is a Jewish temple across it on Northern side of 64/40? What a coincidence

Anyway, I am also from St. Louis and currently live on Long Island, NY.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 PM

I did it, I got the job! Moving to STL by May 1st...this is great, thanks for all the help everyone.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM

8 posts, read 10,446 times
Congrats! I moved out here from NY and let me tell you, the people are 100x more approachable and friendly. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 PM

What does anyone/everyone think about this place/area? It gets good ratings I just don't know about the area.

Southwoods Apartments Apartment Rentals

Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,034,285 times
Do not know about the apartments themselves, but they are on a major road (expect noise) in a fairly pleasant area to live. You will have heavy traffic even on weekends and holidays because of the proximity to Grant's Farm.

Not much for crime there. There was a single vehicle theft in December, and nothing else for the last six months. Tourist attractions (Grant's Farm), schools, shopping, movie theatres, etc are all within a 2 mile walk too (but outside a 1 mi walk, so it is not that walkable).

Your commute is a straight shot up Hanley Rd. That can be an annoying commute, but still should be consistently under 30 minutes.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 AM

I actually don't mind living 10 or so miles away from work and now I discovered my wife can do a transfer on her job to another location under the same parent company, so now Ballwin, Fenton, and Concord are in the picture.

And so my search can now expand to Chesterfield, Ballwin, Manchester, and such. These are good areas yes? I really like the idea of living fairly close to shopping centers...malls, outlets, big parking lot type places with Best Buy's, Target's, Costco's, Trader Joe's, yadada. I know some people find that repulsive living but it's gonna take a while to get the Long Island out of me and I like amenities close by

I'm not keen on the "challenge yourself and step outside your comfort zone" type of thing by living in the middle of a dense ethnic urban center, my entire childhood was filled with that growing up in Queens and there's no more dense place on earth than Nassau County, Long Island. Besides, moving 1,000 miles away is adventure enough for now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis