Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 AM

118 posts, read 190,098 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone can comment on if there is enough difference in the cost of living between the two states that it should be factored in when deciding which state to live in.

For instance I think that if someone were going to be registering a brand new, or late model car then IL is definately cheaper; but maybe I'm wrong. I read somewhere that each state computes the annual car registration differently and it definately favors IL residents who live in O'Fallon/Shiloh/Belleville as opposed to those who live in Soulard/CWE/Tower groves/etc areas.

Are taxes higher in MO?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Depends on what taxes you're talking about. Real Estate tends to be cheaper in IL, as far as purchasing a house, however real estate taxes are significantly higher in IL than in MO. Personal property taxes suck here in Missouri, but as you stated, depending on the type of vehicle you own the tax will vary. We've got two "newish" cars, an 05 Grand Am, and an 06 Jetta and the property taxes on them isn't THAT bad, but i can't remember the amount. I've got 1 older car (mid 80's coupe) and a couple motorcycles and the taxes on all of them is essentially pennies.

I've been jaded against IL forever though, but i was born on the Missouri side...IL people often have the same thing, but against MO. I'm not a huge fan of IL (liberal) politics, or the "chicago machine". If you're into firearms i know IL is also a tad more restrictive than MO as well, which can be a factor for some people.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
They're really basically a wash. Northern Chicago is much more expensive and has all-around higher taxes, but the southern end of the state isn't going to be a significant difference from the MO side. I'd choose an area where you'll feel at home and from which your commute will be easy.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Eh, i agree that they're simply going to get "Their" (read govt) money how they can. But i think home prices are significantly cheaper in IL (St. Louis Metro) for the amount of home you get in comparison to St. Louis County. Taxes however are significantly steeper over there. If you're former military, retirement is very different for Illinois vs Missouri with the favor being towards Illinois.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM

91 posts, read 164,297 times
I live in Belleville and the COL is a bit more over here than St Louis, things like gas is always a bit higher, this area, OFallon/Belleville are still doing well because of the jobs at the AFB and government workers who commute into St Louis (me).

I think the Illinois side of the river is just a far better deal.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,296 times
Retired Military here...IL hands down. Best of both worlds--get to enjoy StL, but keep the State off your pension.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM

118 posts, read 190,098 times
Thanks for the comments. So can anyone reply who has a relatively newer car (2009 or newer) as far as how much they are charged to renew their registration every year? I'd like to hear from MO and IL peeps.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2018, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,196 times
So what's the gun laws in ill cause I live in mo just across the bridge from Quincy and were about to move just across the river and I love guns, will that be a problem

Old 12-25-2018, 08:18 PM

858 posts, read 424,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtadam2326 View Post
So what's the gun laws in ill cause I live in mo just across the bridge from Quincy and were about to move just across the river and I love guns, will that be a problem

A bigger problem is your lack of proper grammar and punctuation sir or ma'am.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtadam2326 View Post
If you like firearms, you should NOT move to IL!!

Missouri has some of the best firearms rights, or lack of firearms laws in the nation.

In Missouri you don't need a permit to carry concealed, no waiting periods, no gun license etc. etc.

IL not the worst in the country but not good. No permitless carry, waiting period, required to have a FOID card, no class 3 weapons, crappy carry laws, no open carry, can't carry into a lot of places etc.

The Brady foundations on last years graded ranked Missouri tied for 48th for fewest regulations. Only MS scored better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis