U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM

483 posts, read 849,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
That was one of the welcoming surprises when we moved here, the first night we turned on the news.....TOP STORY....traffic jam from 4 days ago.........

One thing that personally bothered my about STL was it is very compartmentalized in terms of counties.....lots of "Oh you are from there?"

Here in Boise, you just live in Boise, downtown (where we live) seamlessly transitions out.....just personal preferences.

I do miss a lot about STL and have a return visit planned for this spring with the wife and kids.
I think the compartmentalization you refer to is a way that people try and build a connection. It is typical in a lot of older cities that have well established neighborhoods. Another example that is often mocked is New Jersey - where they ask you what exit you are on, and if its the Turnpike or the Parkway. I am sure that a lot of cities do this, and personally am not offended by it.

I do agree that the media sensationalizes things, including crime. It is all about vewiership to them, and I rarely watch local news anymore. When I was living in the Phily market (PA) it was the same. The start of the news hour was about a murder here or there (which is very unfortunate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 AM

5,908 posts, read 6,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle View Post
One thing that personally bothered my about STL was it is very compartmentalized in terms of counties.....lots of "Oh you are from there?"

I understand that. I find a lot of that here in Chicago. People will assume things about you based on where you live. I tell locals to get over it. Its been the same in other places but not as bad as here. If you did not grow up or have the family ties, you can feel different among native social circles.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM

536 posts, read 725,989 times
Over 3 decades in St. Louis now, and I've lived all over the metro, been north of delmar plenty of times, and used to frequent the clubs on the East side in my younger days quite often () and I can only think of maybe a couple of times where I felt uneasy or found myself in an undesirable situation.

Truth be told most of the time the people that get killed in St. Louis (and elsewhere) are gang bangers shooting eachother, or someone starts some trouble with the wrong person, or it's some domestic situation where somebody lost their temper and did something stupid that they can't take back. Does random violence happen? Of course, but it's not nearly as common, and it can happen anywhere in the world big city or small. Ya never know.

Me though? I'm not doing things I shouldn't be doing, I mind my own business and don't escalate situations that don't need to be, I use common sense, and I haven't had any trouble living in St. Louis. Hopefully it continues to stay that way.

We are 99% good people in this city despite what Forbes would have you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis