U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times

Advertisements

You've probably all read it in the Post Dispatch, but Macy's, the final anchor at Jamestown Mall is closing

There are very few stores left in the mall. I think this will be the death of the remaining few I know there was talk some years ago of turning the area into Senior Housing. With the aging population in North County, it seems like the most viable option, even though it's seriously inconvenient not having a traditional mall in NoCo anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM

536 posts, read 726,145 times
Yeah that place has been going downhill for years. My brother had a house at Lindbergh and 367 for a couple of years, and I don't think we went in that mall the entire time he lived there. It's probably going the way of Northwest Plaza sooner or later, and in my opinion Northwest Plaza was a lot nicer.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
To be honest, that was probably bound to happen. Suburban malls-at least, ones not located on or near major thoroughfares-are becoming a thing of the past. Just take a look at Crestwood Mall; that's the exact same situation we're seeing here too.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 PM

I agree that Northwest Plaza was a lot nicer. I went to the Sears and Macy's there way back in 2006-2007 before they closed as well. Mind you, the Macy's at Jamestown Mall is astonishingly pleasant. The rest of the mall is a Ghost Town though. I took some photos a few months ago when I was in there out of morbid curiosity. I'll have to post them.

The odd thing is, the mall felt like it was just the early hours of the morning, and nothing had opened for business yet. It's as if it was alive still and just waiting for customers. (I had a mall job way back in High School in Australia, and the mall before opening time is exactly what it reminded me of)

Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 PM

483 posts, read 849,627 times
I don't really understand this. I know that people today are more geared to outdoor shopping centers, but with the closure of Jamestown, we are leaving North County with NO mall. Yes, the Mills is nearby but I am afraid for it's life now with the two shopping outlet centers in Chesterfield. Not sure of the truth here, I heard that Old Navy is closing up in the Mills, and that Cabela's is moving to the revistalized Northwest Plaza ...

West County Center, South County Center, Galleria, Chesterfield, Mid Rivers, Plaza Frontenac .... I havn't heard of any of these centers having issues. Am I out of the loop or is there something else going on here.

BTW - I think Crestwood's demise isn't necessarily due to the decline of the mall, but moreso the increase in competition as BOTH West County and South County expanded, and Kirkwood Commons (where the Target, Wal Mart etc are just around the corner on Lindbergh and more conveniently located to I-44).

Old 01-16-2014, 08:55 PM

I'm baffled too, honestly. Aside from the Christmas traffic, the Mills (I'll never get used to its new name) is a relative ghost town the remainder of the year. I don't personally see a long future for the place.

Personally though, I believe leaving NoCo with no traditional mall is a mistake, but the reality is, with Jamestown the way it's been in recent times, we haven't had a mall for quite a while.

I know I'm selfish, but one of my reasons for liking malls *these* days is because when it's too hot or too cold out to take my baby for long walks in his stroller, we can go to the mall and walk for hours and he gets to see all the people and things. I usually end up buying something, even if it's only small, anyhow!

Open Air malls make no sense in a place like St. Louis that gets as cold as it does.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,381,061 times
The hard truth is that traditional malls are dying all over the country and St. Louis is no stranger to this. I wouldn't be surprised if even the strong malls (Galleria, West County, South County, Chesterfield) were on their last legs within about 10 years. Too much competition from power centers, lifestyle centers, and online shopping.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM

Dawn10am, I agree that it's not a phenomenon unique to St. Louis.

Oddly enough, I know that in Australia and the UK the mall craze is booming? Australia has had malls since the 1950s (when they started booming in the U.S) but they haven't seen the same decline. Mind you, they're structured differently to Malls in the U.S and often have attached grocery stores (with interior entrances so you have to walk past the mall shops to get to them).

The fact that people then push loaded grocery carts around the mall and through the department stores kind of seems silly to me now, although it felt normal at the time! I wonder if that's part of why Aussie malls continue to boom, though? Everyone needs groceries, after all!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM

483 posts, read 849,627 times
As long as their are unique stores to the malls, then I don't see them ALL dying off; and Christmas is definetley a time when I enjoy hitting the malls. Macy's has at this time no stand alone stores in the Metro so people will visit the malls for at least the department stores. I guess the trend is for more targeted shopping .. I know what I want and I know where to get it .. and less browsing. Malls can be less convendient for parking and walking to a particular store located deep inside. HOWEVER, for the browser or those that are not toally sure what they want, malls are a much better alternative. I just think we don't have the demad we used to, but to some extent the demand is still there.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM

536 posts, read 726,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Open Air malls make no sense in a place like St. Louis that gets as cold as it does.
When I was a little kid in the 80's Northwest Plaza was open-air. I don't believe they enclosed it until around '90 I think, and most people from the neighborhood didn't really understand why, and thought it was fine the way it was.

It was actually pretty huge when my mom was a kid:

Quote:
When Northwest Plaza opened in St. Ann in 1963, it was the largest shopping center in the world with five anchor department stores and 185 smaller shops, restaurants and boutiques. Centrally located near the confluence of I-70 and I-270, it was one of the area's biggest employers. Kids from all over St. Louis County would gather at the main fountain.
Mall-Walkers Rally to Save Northwest Plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis