U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2014, 04:05 PM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 5,035,337 times
Reputation: 2971

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
When did that happen? This is the closest thing I could find:

Bill targeting public employee unions passes House - Columbia Daily Tribune | Columbia Missouri: Local News

Are you telling me there are no government union employees in Missouri at the federal, state or local levels, including teachers?
Public employees were stripped of the right to form unions some time in the 1940s. I think it was 1945, but I am not sure. I think it is in chapter 105 and the constitution somewhere around article 20-30, but the Missouri statutes website is offline so I cannot look it up.

St Louis Public Schools and KCMO Public schools are unionized, because they unionized in the 1930s. No other district in the state is. Teachers can collectively bargain through a professional association (e.g. local chapters of the MNEA), but they cannot form a union.

Law enforcement was given a right to unionize in 2008, but few law enforcement agencies have unionized (so far mostly fire districts). The latest round of bills (like the one above) is targeting the two public school unions and handful of public safety unions.

Federal has preemption, so there may be federal union employees. The rest of the non-PS state and local government employees in the state though are not unionized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 PM
 
1,970 posts, read 1,547,206 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Hey guys, so I'm new here, and as you can tell I'm a resident of the St. Louis metro area. For my first post I'd like to ask you all this question: what will the future be like for St. Louis 10 years from now? Will the city finally stop bleeding population? Will the North side start to see a turnaround? Will we finally see the city re-incorporated into the county, and if so, how would that turn out? I've been thinking about what's ahead for a while and I just want to get some other thoughts on it. So what do you think is next for St. Louis?
Don't know about the rest of your questions but the city was never ever part of St. Louis County, so there is nothing to reincorporate at all. St. Louis City is an entity unto itself and always has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM
 
1,970 posts, read 1,547,206 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
GOP politicians illegally interfered with that vote by threatening workers, so it's not a very reliable bellewether. VW is also an especially worker-friendly company, which reduces the demand for unionization.
ROTFLMAO!!! You keep spreading that stuff around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Don't know about the rest of your questions but the city was never ever part of St. Louis County, so there is nothing to reincorporate at all. St. Louis City is an entity unto itself and always has been.
Wikipedia:

"In 1877, the City of St. Louis separated itself from the county, creating an independent city."

It hasn't always been independent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 AM
 
1,970 posts, read 1,547,206 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Wikipedia:

"In 1877, the City of St. Louis separated itself from the county, creating an independent city."

It hasn't always been independent.
Well, my bad for sure. I honestly thought it had always been independent of any county. I guess because it had been so for so darn long now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,266 posts, read 5,758,595 times
Reputation: 4274
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Public employees were stripped of the right to form unions some time in the 1940s. I think it was 1945, but I am not sure. I think it is in chapter 105 and the constitution somewhere around article 20-30, but the Missouri statutes website is offline so I cannot look it up.

St Louis Public Schools and KCMO Public schools are unionized, because they unionized in the 1930s. No other district in the state is. Teachers can collectively bargain through a professional association (e.g. local chapters of the MNEA), but they cannot form a union.

Law enforcement was given a right to unionize in 2008, but few law enforcement agencies have unionized (so far mostly fire districts). The latest round of bills (like the one above) is targeting the two public school unions and handful of public safety unions.

Federal has preemption, so there may be federal union employees. The rest of the non-PS state and local government employees in the state though are not unionized.
Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top