U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2014, 06:57 AM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Reputation: 2944

Advertisements

We're as good a place as any to build a factory, so, maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We're as good a place as any to build a factory, so, maybe?
What about places with lower taxes, like say Texas? What would stop any company from building a new factory in the sun belt, where most new manufacturing is concentrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 PM
 
Location: St Louis, MO
4,677 posts, read 5,035,337 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
What about places with lower taxes, like say Texas? What would stop any company from building a new factory in the sun belt, where most new manufacturing is concentrated?
It is extremely extremely expensive to train new auto factory workers. So, factories pretty much only relocate to locations with existing factories. Not sure if many new auto factories have been built recently at all. But because St Louis still has a lot of skilled workers, there is a possibility it could get a factory in the near future. In the long term, those skills are unused and declining though, and automotive factories will continue to consolidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 12:08 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It is extremely extremely expensive to train new auto factory workers. So, factories pretty much only relocate to locations with existing factories. Not sure if many new auto factories have been built recently at all. But because St Louis still has a lot of skilled workers, there is a possibility it could get a factory in the near future. In the long term, those skills are unused and declining though, and automotive factories will continue to consolidate.
That's an excellent point. If any auto company ever decides to expand here, they would have to do it within the next decade or two before the experienced labor fades away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Saint Louis, MO
3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Reputation: 2175
seems many of the foreign automakers congregate to the right-to-work states, and i know the st. louis unions have been fighting that battle pretty aggressively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
seems many of the foreign automakers congregate to the right-to-work states, and i know the st. louis unions have been fighting that battle pretty aggressively.
On the other hand, Tennessee might lose out on VW expansion because of GOP anti-union shenanigans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
seems many of the foreign automakers congregate to the right-to-work states, and i know the st. louis unions have been fighting that battle pretty aggressively.
I thought Missouri was right-to-work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 2,576,073 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I thought Missouri was right-to-work?
Nope, we're still a right-to-be-treated-like-a-human-being state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Reputation: 4569
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Nope, we're still a right-to-be-treated-like-a-human-being state.
Exactly- and I hope it stays that way!!! I do NOT want to live in another Right-To-Work state after my experience in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM
 
1,710 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Reputation: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Exactly- and I hope it stays that way!!! I do NOT want to live in another Right-To-Work state after my experience in NC.
Honestly, I don't fully understand Right-to-Work and why it's so controversial. Could someone perhaps explain it to me and why it's such an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top