Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 12,356 times

Advertisements

Could someone give me an honest overview of the Catholic Elementary schools that are located in or near Webster Groves? Do some have better academics, better reputations, different teaching methods than others? I would love to find a school that has high standards, but is also a place where children love to go to school everyday. I'd also like to find a school that offers Spanish, arts programs, and a worthwhile after school program. I can't seem to find many discussions that openly compare schools. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 AM

320 posts, read 607,942 times
Not to go off topic, but Webster has awesome public schools that probably exceed the quality of most private schools. Is there a specific reason you are looking for private?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 12,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
Not to go off topic, but Webster has awesome public schools that probably exceed the quality of most private schools. Is there a specific reason you are looking for private?
I'd like my daughters to attend an all girl's school for middle school and possibly high school. Also looking for a school that emphasizes a connection to learning and a religious/world view. We're not Catholic, but I'm more inclined towards a school that promotes a sense of purpose and importance in relation to service and helping others.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM

109 posts, read 245,006 times
My daughters went to Villa Duchesne and had a great combo of academics, and community service. The tuition is quite high by there is financial assistance. I would recommend at least a tour and also have your daughters spend a day there as a visitor.

Visitation Academy also comes to mind -- we chose Vila over it as it was a better fit for our daughters....but everyone has different perspectives.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 PM

572 posts, read 1,988,861 times
St. Margaret of Scotland. Though it's in the city.
And Nerinx Hall HS in Webster.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,966,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgvcd View Post
Could someone give me an honest overview of the Catholic Elementary schools that are located in or near Webster Groves? Do some have better academics, better reputations, different teaching methods than others? I would love to find a school that has high standards, but is also a place where children love to go to school everyday. I'd also like to find a school that offers Spanish, arts programs, and a worthwhile after school program. I can't seem to find many discussions that openly compare schools. Thanks!

I can't answer your specific questions but we know many people in Mary Queen of Peace parish (MQP) and everyone seems to think highly of it. We've also heard good things about Holy Redeemer. To add a bit, MQP is a very large and vibrant parish. It seems to be highly sought after-I know several area catholics who make home buying decisions simply to be in that parish.

I realize that doesn't tell you about the academics per se, but if they were poor, I doubt it would be that popular. I can attest that they have a great trivia night!

Last edited by MUTGR; 01-12-2014 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 PM

132 posts, read 387,706 times
I can't recommend a specific school. However, this Sunday Jan. 26th kicks off Catholic Schools Week for many local parishes, many of which will host an open house where you can tour the school and find out more. This would be a great opportunity for you to visit schools near your desired area. Just call ahead and see if they're participating.

Please note that many Catholic schools in the city and the inner suburbs are affected by population and demographic shifts. Many are faced with the possibility of collaborating in the future. Annunciation Parish in Webster Groves is part of a collaboration with two other schools called Holy Cross Academy. I believe there were originally four schools in this academy, but one had to shut down due to low enrollment and high costs. I only mention this to you as a heads up in case you choose a school already collaborating, or one that might be not far down the road.

Overall, I think you will get a decent Catholic education at the elementary level at any local Catholic school. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis