Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM

21 posts, read 31,936 times

Advertisements

Hello Saint Louis experts, we are actively looking for a home in the 63017/63005 area basically, parkway or rockwood schools, but not further than Marquette. Looking for a family friendly subdivision, a home around 4000+ sq ft for our large family, and we will be doing public schools. (Jr high and high school aged).

Since we live on the west coast, our explorations are limited to short visits. Would love to get a better feel for the subdivisions than just "they are pretty" or " lots of basketball hoops"-must be families,etc...but honestly, I don't know the best way to figure this out. Can anyone share information about any of these areas: Kehrs mill, Wilson, Kingspointe, Eagle Bluffs, Riverdale Drive.... Anything would be appreciated. Or, if you have advice on how to get some more details about the flavor if you will of the neighborhoods.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:38 PM

168 posts, read 299,536 times
We lived in the Manors of Clarkson Valley. It is small subdivision road off of Wilson road with entry via Wilson Farms. Every house in the Manors (36) are on a one acre lot. Our house was 25 years old and there were many original owners which meant there were not a lot of elementary aged kids.

What is your budget?
When we were looking, I was focused on Rockwood so I may be able to help with the subdivisions that feed into Marquette.

My favorite subdivisions in addition of the Manors of Clarkson Valley, are Wilson Farms, Wilson Manors and Kehrs Mills Estates. There is another beautiful subdivision off of Kehrs Mill called Kehrs Mills Trails. All of these are a stones throw to Marquette High School.

I have to go get my kids from school, but let me know if you have specific questions. I would love to help you.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks Tripmom!! Our budget is ideally $700-900k. Prefer a home that wasn't built in the 80's or older. It would be great to live where people are welcoming and the type I would not feel awkward asking "may I borrow a cup of sugar?" Or "we are going out of town, can you let me know if you see anything suspicious" etc.... Originally I had hoped to have families w appx teen aged kids ( like ours) but like you said, some neighborhoods seem to either have grown kids. Or kids who all attend private schools. But I love the feel of the streets/cul de sacs we have seen so far! Have you seen Riverdale Drive? Kingspointe? Sterling or Whitney point?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 AM

168 posts, read 299,536 times
With your budget, I would also look into Ladue or Clayton.
Clayton is my favorite part of St. Louis and the public schools are outstanding. You won't get as much bang for your buck as far as housing compared to Chesterfield, but it is a great area.

I think that most of the subdivisions I listed were built in the 80's. I do know Kingspointe and Whitney Pointe and both are very pretty subdivisions with large homes. I know I have heard of Riverdale Drive, but I can not remember where it is. I knew a couple of families that were in Kingspointe and both commented that there were not many elementary aged kids.

I think that all of the subdivisions will have some very friendly people and some that keep to themselves. You will also find kids that go to public and kids that go to private in every subdivision. The two kids that lived closest to us both were in private schools. Not sure why, but in STL a lot of families go private.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks for that good info. We are in a unique situation of moving with kids
who are in their teens, so it won't be as easy as with little ones who go to mom and me classes,etc. we have also looked a lot in Ladue/Olivette, but seems like the streets are more varied (tiny run downs next door to mansions). The past many decades we have been in that type situation of little homes next to crazy huge ones. Also we reside in a teeny lot where you hear everything in your neighbors yards- that's why we are leaning toward a subdivision with more consistency and the spacious lots. Also love the spread out feel of chesterfield vs being much closer to city. I heard amazing things about kirkwood and Webster groves,also. But with husband's craving an acre of land and wanting a home under 25 yrs old, it just seems this area makes more sense. I appreciate your info! If you think of anything else feel free to let me know

Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
You might want to check out Town and Country too (borders Chesterfield)--I'm pretty sure someone told me that all residential lots there are at least 1 acre (might want to ask your realtor--I think my friend's mom who is looking in the area told me).

Edited to add: I noticed that Pulte Homes is building a few new developments in Town and Country and in Chesterfield; their largest model is right around 4,000 sqft, and is below your budget. You mention wanting something not from the 80s--this is probably the newest development you'll find and the location seems pretty prime to me in Town and Country (not as familiar with Chesterfield) I noticed the lots sizes on the larger homes in the T&C development are under an acre, so maybe the stuff about Town & Country and 1 acre lots is not true. Newer developments always seemed to bring in more families with kids, at least that was my experience when 2,000 new homes were built where I grew up.

Last edited by billiken; 01-26-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM

Thx Billiken. Husband would love the convenience of being closer to the city for work. Will check out the T&C new homes.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Dread that made me smile, though I am sorry that you had a negative experience. I like to hear ALL input-good and bad...often it is the little local experiences that express the feel for a community. Thx for the anecdote. I have tried to be open minded about all the areas. Confession though-- after talking to many Ladue locals who admitted it is not easy to make close friendships since they all know one another...also that it is all about the school you attended. Not going to let that deter me from reaching out to meet people. However I am hesitant to consider certain areas based on that.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
Well, yeah I actually deleted the comment after I thought about it for a minute because I didn't want to throw an entire suburb under the bus because of a few A-holes at the grocery store. Please know that I really haven't spent that much time around there, and it could have been an isolated incident, but yeah I didn't care for that place that day.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM

No prob-I take all comments with a grain of sand. I just don't want to have rose colored glasses about any towns--- again being from so cal I have had these dreams of idyllic streets and tight knit communities. There are good and bad eggs in all of them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis