U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,176 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are very likely moving to STL from Blo-No. We are a young family in late 20s and early 30s with a toddler. My husband will be working for WWT in Maryland Heights. I am looking for a safe neighborhood to live in that is possibly close to that. We are budgeting to spend around 1,000 per month on rent. We also have a dog so we would like to have some where to walk with it.

Any suggestions?

Thankyou!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Maryland Heights is an awesome area, I used to live there $1000 probably wouldn't get you a single family home there though.

How big is your dog, and do you need a single family home or would you be open to town homes/ apartments?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Also, Maryland Heights has dogport, which is a huge off leash park for dogs!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM

She is a small dog, 18 pounds. We could stretch it to 1200 maybe, I need to do the math.

We are open to apartments and town homes. We would love maybe a 3rd bedroom or a basement, to use as a office/craft room.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 AM

I think you could probably find something in the Maryland Heights area that will fit your needs, either in the form of a townhome or sfh. It wouldn't be a Palace but it would meet your requirements, and Maryland Heights is a great area

The hugest benefit is that it would be a short, stress free commute for your husband, plus it will save on gas money!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
Maryland Heights is a great community, as are all of the surrounding areas. I would also say, Maryland Heights is middle of the road concerning rent prices for the surrounding areas...with higher rent towards the South (Creve Coeur/ unincorporated St. Louis County), and lower rent in parts of Bridgeton and St. Ann (comparative rentals are fewer than Maryland Heights).

There are at least two decent apartment complexes along Bennington Road just North of I-364/Page Ave and South of Dorrset Rd that tend to have a "younger" crowd (early 20's) and many single/unmarried couples too. You'll find more families in the single family homes, however I wouldn't buy this soon into moving here since you may not have a good feel for where you want to settle.

If you'd rather have a yard and potentially a bit more space, i'd recommend looking for single family homes in the surrounding areas via Craigslist, or a realty website. Take a look at this one, 3Bd 1Ba w/ finished basement. Ever so slightly under budget, but not by much.

When my wife and I moved here we rented an apartment in Creve Coeur for $1,200/month (discounted rate) and I wish i'd searched out something cheaper...especially considering it was only for a year. With regards to St. Ann, I recommend South of St. Charles Rock Road, and within a block or two of Ashby, there are also good neighborhoods East and West of Aide Road. I do not recommend many homes ON Aide Rd, or West of Aide very near the old Northwest Plaza, or very near Woodson Terrace to the East/Northeast.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Thank you so much for responding!! I will start my search around that area. I have heard that St. Louis is a violent city so I am not sure I want a SFH.... and if we do get one would you recommend we instal an alarm system? Or am I just being paranoid?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Maryland Heights is about 25 minutes out of St. Louis proper. The suburbs are perfectly safe, and Maryland Heights is among the safest I had zero problems when I lived there. I still live in the suburbs (further North though now, in Florissant) in a SFH and have had zero issues with security!

As for St. Louis as a whole, there are areas which are more dangerous than others (ie: North St. Louis City), but there are also areas of the city which are pleasant and safe. Unfortunately, North City is so blighted that it brings the whole average for the rest of the city down. The 'bad areas' are easily avoided, and if you don't live in them, the chance of ever having an issue is very, very slim

If you do want to go for a townhome though, there is a complex in Maryland Heights called Pheasant Run. I believe their townhomes are around the $1200 mark.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
St. Louis as a whole is not a very violent area, there are localized areas of violence inside St. Louis, but that is largely concentrated in small parts of St. Louis City. St. Louis County and St. Louis City are two very different areas.

Basically, there are parts of St. Louis county that are high crime, but where you're looking and working is not...nor is the surrounding area, so nothing to worry about with regards to the typical St. Louis Crime statistics.

Think like this, St. Louis is always listed as one of America's most dangerous cities yet it comes in as a city between 100k-499k residents, not the 2 million+ residents that reside in St. Louis. The St. Louis metro region is not dangerous, but, there are pockets of crime within the metro, and more specifically within St. Louis City limits, which only contain 300,000 of the 2 million residents. If city and county crime statistics were combined, St. Louis drops to the mid 40's on most dangerous city index.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:24 PM

^^ what flynavyj said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or