U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:49 AM

10,955 posts, read 20,321,314 times

Advertisements

Very cool location though. With StL population and growth so skewed to the west, I'm really surprised but impressed. IKEAs are great to have around for specific stuff you can't find elsewhere (tables, office furniture etc) and they are nice for college kids or people right out of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM

336 posts, read 343,089 times
We love IKEA and after a dozen trips we have learned a few things . You need to shop carefully to avoid a few items that have questionable quality. The best absolutely the best buy are the HEMNES all wood cabinets and dressers . Do not consider anything that uses particle boardThe Hemnes line is the best (you assemble) furniture in the country and NOTHNG comes remotely close . IKEA just is a fun place to shop and 60% of the merchandise is good quality at least in our opinion. I love Ikea because they have eliminated the greed factor and their success is based on nearly one stop shopping for the household!

Last edited by Inattentive; 03-24-2014 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Very cool location though. With StL population and growth so skewed to the west, I'm really surprised but impressed. IKEAs are great to have around for specific stuff you can't find elsewhere (tables, office furniture etc) and they are nice for college kids or people right out of college.
Agreed, I think it's awesome that they put the new store in the city as opposed to somewhere way out in West County like Chesterfield or St. Charles.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
I remember when it first came out that the store would be in midtown you would've thought St. Louis landed the olympics the way the City boosters (myself included) were talking about it! It was really great news.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 PM

21,385 posts, read 37,522,783 times
IKEA is mostly cheap garbage with furniture that is manufactured from non-sustainably managed forests from places like Russia. I'll pass.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 7,328,122 times
Saw in the Post Dispatch this morning that Ikea canceled the project!?!?! And are apparently now looking at land in Chesterfield, WTH!!!!!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,814,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Saw in the Post Dispatch this morning that Ikea canceled the project!?!?! And are apparently now looking at land in Chesterfield, WTH!!!!!
Is that a late April Fool's joke...?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 PM

359 posts, read 526,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
April 1st -

Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 PM

359 posts, read 526,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
IKEA is mostly cheap garbage with furniture that is manufactured from non-sustainably managed forests from places like Russia. I'll pass.
Finding "real" sustainable sourced wood at an affordable price point is not going to happen - Even then I am dubious of much of what is labeled sustainably harvested because "green" and LEED have become more about marketing slogans rather than actual practice. Reclaimed wood is probably the only real sustainably source, most of that gets pretty pricey.

The design is actually not that bad, if you are worried about deforestation you should probably shift your conscience efforts to beef production in South America and coconut plantations in Oceana - they probably wipe out more forest in a month then Ikea takes in a year.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 AM

5,862 posts, read 11,416,548 times
You get what you pay for in IKEA. There is a lot of decent quality product as well as particle board junk.

I tricked out my entire home office with IKEA. looks awesome, and cost me less than $500 for two desks, chairs, storage cabinet, book shelves, lamps and a drawing table. Only the drawing table top is particle board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis