U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 02:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

We are new to the St. Louis area, and are looking into purchasing a home. What are your thoughts on the Florissant area? I've heard mostly bad things about North County, but is this including Florissant? We have started attending church there, and it seems okay from what i've seen driving around on Sunday morning, but I haven't had a lot of exposure. I've been trying to look at the demographic data, and it just isn't making sense to me. It is obvious from the census data that this area has definitely suffered from "white flight", but caucasian is still the majority. I'm trying to reconcile these stats with the school demographic data and can't figure out why the schools seem so lopsided with regards to the census demographic data. Anybody know the history of the area and willing to give me a short synopsis?

Also, we are looking at the forclosure market, and it seems that there are tons of forclosures/pre-forclosures on the market obviously due to the subprime mortgage fiasco, what are your thoughts as to who will purchase these properties? Investors turning them into section-8 rental housing? Someone else??

I would appreciate your insight about the future of the Florissant area as a home purchase is a big deal and we don't want to end up making the mistake of buying into the next Detroit.

FYI, we homeschool so schools are not really an issue for our family, but I realize they definitely affect property values. We have heard that there are a lot of homeschoolers in the Florissant area, could this account for some of the skewed data?? Your thought??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,035,337 times
The schools in Florissant are very divided. The middle class kids go to private school and the poor kids go to public school. I don't remember the exact numbers from when my wife taught there, but it was somewhere around 40% of kids in the district were in private school.
To add to this, Ferg-Flor is adjacent to a lot of really struggling districts, and kids from those districts have a right to transfer into Ferg-Flor, and do in big numbers. This is especially true now that the Turner decision has taken effect.

If the actual residents of Ferg-Flor and only Ferg-Flor, attended, it would be a well above average district for test scores. (Other irony, the middle class kids who stay in public school seem to do better than the private school kids in that district.)

Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM

859 posts, read 271,123 times
I'd say it means that the white population is more retirement aged, while the black population is more family aged.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:30 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The schools in Florissant are very divided. The middle class kids go to private school and the poor kids go to public school. I don't remember the exact numbers from when my wife taught there, but it was somewhere around 40% of kids in the district were in private school.
To add to this, Ferg-Flor is adjacent to a lot of really struggling districts, and kids from those districts have a right to transfer into Ferg-Flor, and do in big numbers. This is especially true now that the Turner decision has taken effect.

If the actual residents of Ferg-Flor and only Ferg-Flor, attended, it would be a well above average district for test scores. (Other irony, the middle class kids who stay in public school seem to do better than the private school kids in that district.)
This seems right on based on feedback from friends. I know a ton of people from Florissant and almost all went to private school. I know people who still live there, without kids, and they don't seem to be leaving...they grew up there, enjoyed it, but have every intention of sending their future kids to private schools, just like when they were kids.

I had a co-worker who sent her kids to elementary school there but wants to move to Webster Groves because she is not a fan of the high schools. Obviously WG is a huge step up in price.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
Hello

I live in Florissant, and I plan on homeschooling as well. I have a 7 month old son and am expecting our second son in May! From what I've been told at my church (which has a couple of homeschooling families) there is a big homeschooling community in Florissant. I don't know any statistics, but as Marigold said, the middle class kids are mainly Private Schooled in this area.

We have been in Florissant for a little over a year- and honestly, we were a bit worried about moving to NoCo as well due to the reputation, but it's worked out beautifully for us. We got our house (which ticks all of the boxes, and didn't need to much work) very affordably, and we live in an amazing community. I've got better neighbors here than I've ever had anywhere!

Like a lot of towns though, I've noticed that subdivisions vary greatly in the 'quality' of the neighbors. Everyone around me is owner-occupier. There are mainly retirees and empty nesters, but there are 2 other families with children just a few houses away, so we aren't the only ones. Also, my Pastor and his family live less than a mile from us, which is nice.

Although my bub is too young to enjoy a lot of the amenities Florissant has, there is plenty to do here for young children. If you look at the seasonal Parks & Recreation brochures, there are a lot of affordable classes and activities for Florissant children in the area (sports, games, dance, art, etc), especially over the Summer. The library also has good offerings. For adults, my husband often goes to the Eagan Center to work out if it's too cold for him to run or bike outdoors.

Another thing I really love about Florissant is that everything you need is here- the Libraries, a variety of Grocery Stores, Restaurants (both chain and mom & pop), etc. I've found that I often don't need to leave Florissant for my daily needs.

What we are missing however, is a decent Mall, since the decline of Jamestown Mall (and probably closure in the near future). The Mall trend is dying all over the U.S. though, so Florissant isn't unique in that regard.

I plan on staying here for the foreseeable future and raising my family here. We've got a lovely big back yard (1/2 acre lot), a decent house, amazing neighbors, great church, all the basic amenities... and our house was affordable, which was the biggest thing!

So if School District isn't a factor for you, I would say to give it a go However, carefully research the subdivisions when you're house hunting. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction with regards to that one and tell you whether an area is a hit or a miss

Good Luck!!! ♥
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis