U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times

Advertisements

So I was wondering to myself-how big would St. Louis be in population and area if it were to absorb all of its inner suburbs (IE Clayton, Webster Groves, U City, all those little fiefdoms in North County, etc.)? Having a lot of free time today, I decided to find out. I created a theoretical situation in which the city of St. Louis absorbed these municipalities and Census-Designated Places:

-Clayton
-Richmond Heights
-Maplewood
-University City
-Shrewsbury
-Brentwood
-Bellefontaine Neighbors
-Webster Groves
-Affton
-Lemay
-Bella Villa
-Marlborough
-St. George
-Mackenzie
-Lakeshire
-Wilbur Park
-Beverly Hills
-Country Club Hills
-Flordell Hills
-Glen Echo Park
-Greendale
-Hanley Hills
-Hillsdale
-Jennings
-Moline Acres
-Northwoods
-Norwood Court
-Pagedale
-Pasadena Hills
-Pasadena Park
-Pine Lawn
-Riverview
-Uplands Park
-Velda City
-Velda Village Hills
-Vinita Park
-Vinita Terrace
-Wellston
-Normandy
-Castle Point
-Glasgow Village

and added their areas and populations together, and then added those to the city. The result: an area of 118.96 square miles and a population of 542,515. It would put St. Louis 33rd in population among US cities.

So what are your thoughts on this little experiment? What kind of effects would St. Louis see from this theoretical merger if (and that's a big "if") it took place, outside of these numerical differences? Would it be a good or bad thing? Anything else you'd like to add?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,380,529 times
Is there a reason why you didn't include everything inside 270? Or would it be too hard to calculate the population in unincorporated areas? What's amazing is that, even at 118.96 sq mi, St. Louis would still be on the geographically small side. Kansas City is 319.03. Memphis is 324.0.

It'd be great if the city had that kind of population and tax base, but my biggest concern about any consolidation or merger would be that the middle class would simply flee and we'd have the same problems we do now, just in a larger area. There is precedent for this in other cities that can annex freely. I'm not anti-reunification, but I'm also not very keen on the idea of Columbia becoming the new westernmost suburb of St. Louis.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:24 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,774,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Is there a reason why you didn't include everything inside 270? Or would it be too hard to calculate the population in unincorporated areas? What's amazing is that, even at 118.96 sq mi, St. Louis would still be on the geographically small side. Kansas City is 319.03. Memphis is 324.0.

It'd be great if the city had that kind of population and tax base, but my biggest concern about any consolidation or merger would be that the middle class would simply flee and we'd have the same problems we do now, just in a larger area. There is precedent for this in other cities that can annex freely. I'm not anti-reunification, but I'm also not very keen on the idea of Columbia becoming the new westernmost suburb of St. Louis.
Yeah, I agree with you on this-St. Louis' inner suburbs are too well developed and established to be annexed by the city. For example, Clayton is well developed because it serves as sort of a city outside of the city-a center for local corporations outside of the city itself. Annexing it into the city would probably strip it of that status and send it into decline.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,083,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Yeah, I agree with you on this-St. Louis' inner suburbs are too well developed and established to be annexed by the city. For example, Clayton is well developed because it serves as sort of a city outside of the city-a center for local corporations outside of the city itself. Annexing it into the city would probably strip it of that status and send it into decline.

The other issue is that from an economic perspective, I doubt STL would want to combine with only the inner ring suburbs (even with places like Clayton included). Municipalities want two things when it comes to budgeting:

1) certainty
2) a stable to growing tax base

The city has just about bottomed out with respect to household loss. It also has more pockets of fairly substantial income growth and property value growth. From a revenue generation standpoint things are finally starting to stabilize.

The inner suburbs (at least almost of suburbs outside of the central corridor) are experiencing the same issues that the city has over the past few decades: population decline, household income reductions, etc. Revenues in these areas will decline further, unless rates go up (which can lead to additional population loss in a cyclical manner). They're also lower density, which means as the revenues decline, infrastructure provisions are more adversely affected.

It's not a coincidence that we've seen more talk of a city-county consolidation in the past few years than ever before. STL County is in the midst of what the city has had to deal with for several decades. The advantages of remaining separate from the city and other municipalities isn't what it used to be, so people are at least willing to discuss the possibility. I don't think it will happen because things move to slowly around here for sweeping changes like this to occur. The can will get kicked down the road another 20 years and by that time it will be completely obvious the city wants no part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or