U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any useful knowledge on the subject. The house is 30 years old. The basement already has access stairs and door going down to the basement. The house was built and the dirt was pushed up against the basement. The land does allow for the dirt to be brought down and have proper drainage away from the house on the south side. Questions are how do I attain blueprints for the house to be able to see where the footings are. Will the basement be able to hold the load of the house without the dirt against the exterior of the wall (I think it will, but I have to ask). If anybody has done this before the information will be very much appreciated. As well with a rebar concrete basement, when cutting the concrete for the double doors what kind of load bearing setup will I have to use, if any. Location for the door would be center on longest wall. No load bearing beams above it besides the rim joist and floor joist. If anybody has any tips of does or don't please clarify. The town I live in requires a permit and uses 2000 ICC International Residential codes. I have done construction for years but this is my first month owning my own business and I need to learn these things. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,816,293 times
The county clerks office sometimes has blueprints of homes (assuming the house is in St. Louis County, or alternatively your municipality also might). Alternatively, if you know the developer of the house or housing estate, if they're still in existence, they too might have records / blueprints (although that's a long shot since the house is 30 years old).

As far as determining whether the basement can hold the load of the house without dirt around the house, every house is different so there is no 'one answer' to whether you will be able to successfully 'dig it out' or not. Your best bet is to get a structural engineer to come and take a look. It will be a couple of hundred out of pocket, but then at least you have peace of mind.

Also, you state that your town needs a permit for this kind of work (as does mine). I believe if we were to embark on a project of this nature at our house, according to the city code, we would need to submit blueprints of the relevant changes drawn up by a professional draftsman or architect, laying out exactly what changes we were going to make to the property. You'll probably need to do that as well.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 7,329,716 times
This has to be the wrong forum...you need an architect and structural engineer. I'd hire both, and ensure you can get your permits pulled.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,083,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
This has to be the wrong forum...you need an architect and structural engineer. I'd hire both, and ensure you can get your permits pulled.

Good luck.
I second this. Every situation will be different and there is no way for even a qualified expert to know without visually inspecting the project. Even then, they run into surprises.

You need someone who has done this before to do the hard part for you (excavation, footer work or additional support work as needed, etc.). This is one of those situations where you'd be silly not to hire someone. Think of it this way: if your house caves in because this is the first time you've done this, who are you doing to go after to recover your loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis