U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:05 PM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Hi, I've lived in St. Louis for 10 years, but I grew up in Georgia...and the main thing I dislike about St. Louis is the winter. I can't take the cold! I enjoy the city in general, I have some great friends, places I like to go, places still left to explore...but winter depresses me to the point that I don't want to leave the house.

I now have the option to go anywhere...unfortunately I've had to go on medical disability (so I can't afford too expensive of a place)...and I'm looking into other options.

I recently visited Albuquerque and loved it...but yet another medical complication arose...I have lupus, which had been in remission for years, but the intense sunlight at that high altitude triggered a bad flare of it, and I think I have to cross that city off my list. I love the sun, though...what a catch-22! Maybe just not at that high an altitude, though.

I know there's nowhere perfect (except maybe California, which I can't afford). What I really need is to have necessities within walking distance (when I get sick, I often don't feel like driving) and access to a medical center (or public transportation to get there).

Sorry this thread is kind of all over the place (so am I at the moment!). Maybe I should make two separate threads. But...I'll just give this a shot (sorry, I'm a new poster here).

I am still thinking about the idea of staying in St. Louis...that maybe I need to make the best of it. I've been living in the Central West End for about 5 years, but my lease ends soon, and I'd like to try a different area (plus this is an expensive one). I like the vibe of the Cherokee Street area, but I'm not sure how the walkability would be (for a grocery store, drugstore, etc). Tower Grove might also work, but maybe the same problem...plus I feel like I've explored that area pretty thoroughly.

Another idea I had was to venture out into neighborhoods like Maplewood, maybe Kirkwood or Webster Groves...I saw a place in a good location in Maplewood, though it was only 450 sq ft, close to half the size of my place now (it seems like most 1-bedrooms there are that size?)...but maybe I could downsize. My doctors are mostly at Wash U, so having them within decent driving distance (when I can drive) would be nice.

Thanks for listening and for any ideas...I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
 
14,089 posts, read 8,626,498 times
Reputation: 27837
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Another idea I had was to venture out into neighborhoods like Maplewood, maybe Kirkwood or Webster Groves...I saw a place in a good location in Maplewood, though it was only 450 sq ft, close to half the size of my place now (it seems like most 1-bedrooms there are that size?)...but maybe I could downsize. My doctors are mostly at Wash U, so having them within decent driving distance (when I can drive) would be nice.
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Maplewood that is around 700 square feet. Most of the apartments around this area seem like they would be about that size, or no smaller then 600 square feet. I live in the area just east of Big Bend and North of Manchester. Its a nice, walkable area. The grocery store, CVS, and plenty of restaurants are only a few blocks away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:09 PM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Thanks, Sunday...good to know I may have just missed the bigger apartments when searching. That area does sound nice...I'll check it out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Bernalillo, NM
65 posts, read 134,309 times
Reputation: 82
I currently live near Alb. and was raised in Missouri....stay in Missouri. I, myself, may move back in a few years...people are much friendlier and there is no difference in my health here compared to Missouri...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 AM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai4605217 View Post
I currently live near Alb. and was raised in Missouri....stay in Missouri. I, myself, may move back in a few years...people are much friendlier and there is no difference in my health here compared to Missouri...
Thanks...that's actually really reassuring right about now, since that's the direction I'm leaning. I have some close friends here (good sources of support when needed, but also of course great to hang out with), and there are parts of the city I'd like to spend more time in (I'm thinking now more about the Tower Grove/Grand area).

My lupus flare in Albuquerque was probably the worst I've ever had, and that was just in a short period when I was already on a treatment that should have prevented it...so facing facts, I have to admit I should probably give up that "dream."

And I've been researching other warm cities (Miami, Austin, Portland...ok, last one not so warm), and I've found major issues with all of them...largely financial. Living on a disability income, I've been surprised at how affordable housing is in St. Louis...you can get a large place at a reasonable cost, whereas I could barely afford a studio in Miami or some other places.

(Then again, the weather just turned warm, so I may be regretting the choice to stay soon...forgive me if I've posted this already...lupus and migraine brain combined make me a bit forgetful, but I'm making the best of it). I think I'm beginning to learn the lesson of "love the one (city) you're with!" Thanks to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 AM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Though (ack!) Portland does seem to have a lot to offer...and rents I could afford. Weather-wise, I'm not sure I could handle the cloud cover and rain, though I've read about it being more of a light mist than constant downpours...and I don't know if the winters are better enough to warrant the move. (These -5 degree or so wind chills here, though, are doing me in!). But...staying here would be manageable...if I could maybe find a winter escape for at least a few weeks (visit a friend or something?!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Bernalillo, NM
65 posts, read 134,309 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
Thanks...that's actually really reassuring right about now, since that's the direction I'm leaning. I have some close friends here (good sources of support when needed, but also of course great to hang out with), and there are parts of the city I'd like to spend more time in (I'm thinking now more about the Tower Grove/Grand area).

My lupus flare in Albuquerque was probably the worst I've ever had, and that was just in a short period when I was already on a treatment that should have prevented it...so facing facts, I have to admit I should probably give up that "dream."

And I've been researching other warm cities (Miami, Austin, Portland...ok, last one not so warm), and I've found major issues with all of them...largely financial. Living on a disability income, I've been surprised at how affordable housing is in St. Louis...you can get a large place at a reasonable cost, whereas I could barely afford a studio in Miami or some other places.

(Then again, the weather just turned warm, so I may be regretting the choice to stay soon...forgive me if I've posted this already...lupus and migraine brain combined make me a bit forgetful, but I'm making the best of it). I think I'm beginning to learn the lesson of "love the one (city) you're with!" Thanks to you!
If Albuquerque is where you think you should be, just try it. Its not for me, but it could be for you. I've known a lot of people (Missouri) who have moved to Florida, hated it, and moved back to Missouri. (One only lived in Florida for 2 MONTHS!!!)

I do understand about wanting to go explore other places. Missouri can do that to a person. New Mexico isn't as bad as I have put it in some post, and I haven't really had a super bad experience yet, but my mom and dad are in Missouri and I do feel alone at times in NM. Usually when I post a negative post about NM, I am usually in a bad mood to begin with..lol.

I did not mean to tell you to give up your dream, if Albuquerque is where you should be, first of all, you will know that, and second, just try it. No place is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
 
131 posts, read 146,451 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelai4605217 View Post
If Albuquerque is where you think you should be, just try it. Its not for me, but it could be for you. I've known a lot of people (Missouri) who have moved to Florida, hated it, and moved back to Missouri. (One only lived in Florida for 2 MONTHS!!!)

I do understand about wanting to go explore other places. Missouri can do that to a person. New Mexico isn't as bad as I have put it in some post, and I haven't really had a super bad experience yet, but my mom and dad are in Missouri and I do feel alone at times in NM. Usually when I post a negative post about NM, I am usually in a bad mood to begin with..lol.

I did not mean to tell you to give up your dream, if Albuquerque is where you should be, first of all, you will know that, and second, just try it. No place is perfect.
Thanks again...as wishy-washy as I must sound, it's coincidental that you posted this now too...I guess because I'm letting my true feelings show...that I really did love the city and had the absolute certain feeling of "I have to live here!" It was such a major letdown to realize it might not be a possibility.

Even mentioning this to my parents (who I'm trying to keep out of this decision!), my mom has said she doesn't want me to become a recluse...but then again, I generally stay inside during the brightest hours of the day...and I could invest in some major UV-protective clothing, as I've mentioned. Maybe a (weird) change of lifestyle, and I don't know if it would be best for my health...but I'm still tempted. Hmm, a lot to consider.

As things warm up here, my mood does become rosier...there's even an apartment I just found directly across from our great Botanical Gardens here (haven't seen it yet), and that sounds (in theory) like a wonderful thing. But imagining it in winter, with little other walkable destinations around...that might not be so good either. Ack, back and forth! Thanks for the input...I'll try to think it through some on my own and come to a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 AM
 
692 posts, read 426,776 times
Reputation: 616
Stay in St. Louis. I can't offer much to say except that there is a ton to do in STL compared to othre cities and also the pro sports. If you like sports. Public Transporation isn't to bad either.

I lived in STL from 1993-2000. Now I live in Birmingham Alabama since 2000. When I semi retire in 6 years at 55 years of age, I may move back to STL because of the reasons I state above.

It's just been a bad winter for everyone, including the South. All of your options up there from things to do plus healthcare over ride the weather, unless you just hate STL.

Don't over estimate what you said in your first paragraph. You have some great friends. As you get older, and I assume you are older, that becomes very, very valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2014, 11:14 AM
 
53 posts, read 54,577 times
Reputation: 60
I freaking hate the weather in St. Louis. Lived there my first 20 years of life, left, moved back several years later, then remembered why I couldn't stand it and moved again. The year we decided to finally get out was 2011..the Year of the Tornado in St. Louis, as well as blizzard conditions. I visited in December, the first week the temps were 50 degrees, 20, and 30, all within a couple of days, and for 3 days it was 2 degrees. Ick.

This time we moved to the Pacific Northwest. The rain isn't so bad...it rains steadily in the fall for a long time, but not hard driving rain, just soft you don't really need an umbrella rain. It is grey, but Vitamin D helps. Summers are great, mild, very little rain. Cost of living is typically higher here than St. Louis, especially the closer to Canada you are, food and gas in particular.

Maybe somewhere Southern? Alabama? Yes you get the humidity but St. Louis has terrible humidity, and winters would be so much more mild. Except this year of course LOL. In fact, it is dumping snow right now here which is unheard of but it is still 31 degrees, not the bone numbing crap you get in St. Louis. Cost of living wouldn't be bad. I've always thought Mississippi was a neat place, although there are negatives everywhere. West is more costly, as is East...I'd look South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:27 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top