U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning to move to St. Louis in the next few months, and we've recently began looking into the housing options available. At this point in our life, we think a townhouse suits our needs best -- we like to feel like we have our "own" place and space (we've been condo living for the past few years and miss having a small yard, etc) but would still like to be in a community that helps with yard upkeep, snow removal, etc.

From our initial review of real estate, it seems like the St. Louis metro area doesn't have many townhomes -- seems to be mostly single-family houses and condos. We did find McKnight crossing, which seems to fit many of our wishes (although we haven't been able to see it in person yet, so we have no idea what it's like in truth), but we were hoping that people here would know of other options that we've missed.

Happy to provide whatever information may be helpful -- for starters, we'll need to commute to CWE/BJH, so either a realistic drive (hopefully less than 20 min) or near the metro is needed. Would like to rent (at least initially) but would consider buying if the right situation presents itself. 2-3 bedroom, 2+ bath. Garage parking strongly preferred. Would like it to be newer construction or newly renovated. We've looked into places in Clayton, Univ City, CWE, and Brentwood areas so far but are open to other possibilities/suggestions.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:11 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
I used to live near McKnight Crossing, and it's nice, but I wouldn't buy in there. I'm pretty sure it's been developed for years and they still haven't sold all the units. That's why there's rentals there.

The first thing that comes to mind is Brentwood Forest. It's a huge community in Brentwood and its a pretty popular place to live. I think its a mix of townhomes and condos. It was developed a while ago, and they are owned by individuals, but a ton of people rent their places out (so much so that there's rental cap & related waiting list for owners). Because of the ownership structure, units are in varying degrees of updated. I don't think there's garage parking though.

There are a whole bunch of newer build townhomes in the Gas Light Square area of the Central West End, but it doesn't look like there's much on the market right now for either renting or buying.

West End Terrace in CWE advertises having townhouses; haven't seen them myself but my friend used to live in an apt there and the location is hard to beat. Not newer construction though; inside is fairly bland.

I know the Aventura building (brand new) in the Grove advertises having townhomes; it's across the highway from CWE. It looks like the development is mostly apartments so I don't know what the town house situation is.

You're correct that there really aren't a whole ton of townhomes communities. There seems to be more managed communities further out into St Louis County. I'd also expand your search to Soulard, Lafayette Square, Shaw, Tower Grove South. There are more townhomes here. You might also consider single family homes; some landlords will have yard upkeep and snow removal included; or you could just pay someone.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,352 times
Thanks billiken!

We've looked into the Brentwood Forest options a bit, but (at least at that time) the units were not particularly nice or updated. I didn't realize they were all individually owned, though, so we'll certainly keep an eye out for a more updated one becoming available.

I tried to search for some of the townhomes in the Gas Light Square area of CWE but didn't find anything -- are these stand-alone units or part of some community that I can search for? We're hoping to visit soon and actually see all of these places, but if I can find information ahead of time that would be helpful.

Finally, do you know anything about the Aventura building in the Grove? From the website, it seems nice enough if a bit bland. I don't know that area particularly well, though. Is it safe/convenient? Things to do in the area? Any early reviews about the building out?

Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,142,667 times
Gas light square is like Brentwood Forest in that the units would have been purchased by an owner and then rented out. You'll only find them on sites like craigslist.

I looked at houses right by the Aventura building in the Grove. I agree that the building is very bland; it frankly does not fit in with the rest of the area at all. The surrounding homes are mostly brick and built over 100 years ago. I like the area, its more up and coming than CWE but its getting a ton of investment lately. There's bars and restaurants on Manchester Rd, and then the proximity to CWE is great. The building is in the better part of the Grove. They just finished the bridges over the highway between CWE and the Grove, I believe. I still wouldn't walk the bridge from CWE to that building at night; its just a little creepy because so much of the part of the CWE on the other side of the highway is commercial buildings with no residential development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis